Tamiya mini cooper >

Tamiya mini cooper

Like Tree288Likes

Tamiya mini cooper

Old 06-10-2007, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HotrodHopkins
quick question. My cooper slows down dramatically when i turn, it seems like it binds on something, but only when it's on the ground. When i let off the steering coming out of a turn, it's takes off like a rocket. Any way to fix that, has someone else had this problem? Thanks.

-Shaun
OK...that ones even got me confused.....

And Jino, why would you need to know the ampdraw of the Sport tuned? I have no idea what it is but also have never needed to know either....
Old 06-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony gray
OK...that ones even got me confused.....

And Jino, why would you need to know the ampdraw of the Sport tuned? I have no idea what it is but also have never needed to know either....
like when i go into a turn, i've taken it a full throttle during practice, and it just binds up, then in mid turn i can let go of the wheel and it screams to top speed.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ooops
Old 06-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey guys, I'm running a M04 in a sea of M03s and I need some assistance with some handling issues I've working to straighten out. Most the people I'm racing against don't even recognize my car as a Tamiya vehicle. I having a problem with power delivery, in tight corners the rear of the vehicle wants to come around and if I try to counter steer it just gets worse most of the time. The vehicle is fully modded with all TCS legal parts.
Need some suggestions for suspension setup, I've lowered it narrowed the front track & widened the rear track as much as possible, short blue springs in the front & red springs in the rear. 40wt in front and 30wt in the rear. 60D slicks all the way around with firm inserts & installed a TA03 diff.
We run 10 min heats and the M04 does get better after the tires warm up but it is extreme twitchy. Any suggestions would be great!
Now I know the M04 is not nearly as popular as the M03 series but I feel that it can be competitive. IT WOULD TOO EASY TO JUST GET A M03, don't want to have resort to that action!
Thanks in advance
Old 06-10-2007, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

I'm no M04 expert, but my own experiences with our custom M03 RWD have taught me a lot about RWD Minis.
Tyres are CRITICAL... I got our car to work by putting super-softs on the rear (Pit 20) and super hard on the front (RP36). And I think that's a large part of your problem having the same tyres all round.

Off the top of my head I'd stick with the 60D's in the rear, but move to a really soft insert and go to a much harder tyre in front. A normal Tamiya slick (53215) or Super Slick (53222) would help a lot I think.

Your suspension set-up sounds about right. I think tyres will be the solution.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Tech Master

Another question I have is how much droop should I use on the front and the rear of my M04 and what should have the ride height set to.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

I'm no M04 expert, but my own experiences with our custom M03 RWD have taught me a lot about RWD Minis.
Tyres are CRITICAL... I got our car to work by putting super-softs on the rear (Pit 20) and super hard on the front (RP36). And I think that's a large part of your problem having the same tyres all round.

Off the top of my head I'd stick with the 60D's in the rear, but move to a really soft insert and go to a much harder tyre in front. A normal Tamiya slick (53215) or Super Slick (53222) would help a lot I think.

Your suspension set-up sounds about right. I think tyres will be the solution.
100% the truth
and 10 minutes might be too long to have a consistant rear drive.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tamiyarcracer
100% the truth
and 10 minutes might be too long to have a consistant rear drive.
What exactly do you mean?
Does the drivetrain overheat?
Do think the M03 is better suited for 10min heats?
Old 06-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Tech Elite

M03's stay pretty much the same handling wise no matter how long the heat goes for. RWD cars tend to overheat the rears and then the grip goes away...

Dont go worrying about droop and such right now, its not important. Do the tyre change first and then work from there. Ride height? As low as you can get it.... Say 2-3mm rear, a hint higher at the front.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Tech Master

Okay, thanks I've got some super slicks and I'll have get some firmer inserts for the front.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Tech Master

M03's stay pretty much the same handling wise no matter how long the heat goes for. RWD cars tend to overheat the rears and then the grip goes away...

Dont go worrying about droop and such right now, its not important. Do the tyre change first and then work from there. Ride height? As low as you can get it.... Say 2-3mm rear, a hint higher at the front.
I disagree with you here Tony (sorry) Seeing as I was the only M04 in the A main @ the TCS North American Finals the one thing I found is that it is critical to limit droop. Maybe not as critical as a touring car, but I found that it makes a huge difference on high speed corners, when you have a good amount of tracion.
The best decision I made that lead to me winning the TCS North American championship was new tires each main. I noticed that the second run on the rear tires the car liked to oversteer, as well as breaking was inconsistant. but new rears and old fronts the car was a dump truck.

Originally Posted by rctouringracer
What exactly do you mean?
Does the drivetrain overheat?
Do think the M03 is better suited for 10min heats?
the car is very finiky and in 10 minutes it will change. So yes
Old 06-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Tech Elite

Happy to concede that point to you....you have the points on the board in that respect..My RWD knowledge is a mish mash of M04 and M03 RWD.

I just didnt want him changing too much stuff at once and getting confused.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Tech Master

Okay, thanks I've got some super slicks and I'll have get some firmer inserts for the front.
reinforced A tires have much better grip, and they are taller which will be a noticable roll-out change and that does help.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Tech Master

what type of surface?
Old 06-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Tech Master

The track is a prepared asphalt surface. The track is used for the 8th and 10th scale nitro, cut in half for 10th scale elecrtric touring & mini.
Now do I want more rollout for the front tires or do I want to keep the side walls as short as possible on the front tires and use stiffer inserts.
Now on a side note I purchased a M03r at the beginning of the season but I haven't assembled it yet, I'd really like to get M04 sorted out because I like the idea of the RWD. What exactly changes on the M04 during a 10min. heat?
How I can I counter it's finiky behavoir?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.