Community
Wiki Posts
Search

R/C Tech LIVE from the 2003 ROAR Carpet Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 01:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Kevin do you think the Tans would work good at Venture/Trackside?
Old 03-14-2003, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the traction was really wierd, since it was a citrus based traction compound not a wintergreen one, which works differnetly. the citrus stuff is like VHT, sugar water or soda in that it is very sticky and doenst alter the tire, however wintergreen softens the tire and is very different in how it works. i had two dialed set ups for wintergreen but they were horrible for citrus. also with sedans running on foam tires (not rubber ones like before) it also created more traction. the narrow groove i think was due to the tire compound as well.

On weds my cars were great, however at the end of the day and on thursday my cars were absolute junk (both sedan and 12th), my 12th couldnt turn without traction rolling, and my sedan was spinning out (and this happened in both directions, so it wasnt tweaked or anything). eventually i got my sedan halfway decent, however it still pushed really bad (i was dialing out steering to make it halfway driveable), and my 12th had zero steering which finally kept it from traction rolling (i super glued all my tires, and ran barely any compound up front, 24 front springs, alot less dual rate, and a softer rear end).

i think the traction compound is what really messed everything up for me, and all of the guys from the northwest seemed to take some time to adjust to the track.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

After racing there in Minnesota, my normal setup for foam carpet made the car turn instantly and wanted to traction roll. After dialing out sensitivity in mid-corner steering and traction, the car developed a push in the last qualifiers. So I tried to put back in steering and it just was not enough by the time the mains rolled around and then the car pushed even harder (which was due to lack of cleaning the tires also). On that track your car had to change directions alot quicker because the turns came up fast and by making the car softer made it easier to drive in my opinion.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:13 AM
Tech Addict

Default Track and the Traction......

Well first off the traction i thought changed the most from the last day of practice to the 1st qualifier. Then i think it pretty much stayed the same all the way through the event. Getting alittle more at night and alittle less in the morning wich is VERY normal for carpet racing..

As for the tires and setup i ran. I kinda hit on something in practice that really made the car wicked fast on new tires and this was the setup. With carpet we are learning stuff new all the time. This time i hit on it very good. I think Jaco will be coming out with these tires soon. We ran double pink/Orange fronts and Double pink Rears. This combo works great on fresh tires and i feel like is faster then purple/orange and purples. I feel like the tire combo gave great acceleration with very good corner speed. the only downfall to these is the 2nd and 3rd run the car starts getting out of control.. I know pauly has been running this type of tire for the last year and a half.

As for the setup I am finding out the cars are getting faster and faster wich is why we are going softer and softer . It took me about a hour to make this change since i am old school and would never have thought that soft would have worked.. To my suprise it was great...

We also ran the KR motors wich i felt was a great advantage with the 10 turn limit. We are still learning more with what winds etc they will like. But for the first race out i was VERY happy with my horsepower. Just wish i could have run them in my 1/12th scale car :-)

Mike Blackstock
Old 03-15-2003, 02:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re: Track and the Traction......

Originally posted by Mike Blackstock
Well first off the traction i thought changed the most from the last day of practice to the 1st qualifier. Then i think it pretty much stayed the same all the way through the event. Getting alittle more at night and alittle less in the morning wich is VERY normal for carpet racing..

As for the tires and setup i ran. I kinda hit on something in practice that really made the car wicked fast on new tires and this was the setup. With carpet we are learning stuff new all the time. This time i hit on it very good. I think Jaco will be coming out with these tires soon. We ran double pink/Orange fronts and Double pink Rears. This combo works great on fresh tires and i feel like is faster then purple/orange and purples. I feel like the tire combo gave great acceleration with very good corner speed. the only downfall to these is the 2nd and 3rd run the car starts getting out of control.. I know pauly has been running this type of tire for the last year and a half.

As for the setup I am finding out the cars are getting faster and faster wich is why we are going softer and softer . It took me about a hour to make this change since i am old school and would never have thought that soft would have worked.. To my suprise it was great...

We also ran the KR motors wich i felt was a great advantage with the 10 turn limit. We are still learning more with what winds etc they will like. But for the first race out i was VERY happy with my horsepower. Just wish i could have run them in my 1/12th scale car :-)

Mike Blackstock

MIKE BLACKSTOCK!!! I BOW BEFORE YOU GREATNESS!!!
Old 03-15-2003, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

hey mike nice tosee you on here...great job at the nats....

matt miller
Old 03-15-2003, 03:31 PM
Tech Addict

Default Thanks guys

Pro-10 Wow i could not imagine how fast they would be if they where raced.. Man could you see a 7-turn with 6-cells wowee. I know the last worlds i ran with them it was 12 turns and that was almost to fast .. I would like to see them with maybe 4-cells. That would be fun.. But if it is 6 cells count me out. I think touring is going to fast as it is now. I hope they do something about that soon for interest of the hobby...

Later

Mike
Old 03-15-2003, 06:19 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

for those of you who enjoyed the -9 deg minnesota weather we had last week you will be happy to know it was 69 deg here today... in minnesota...
Old 03-15-2003, 07:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

ammdrew - "69" that must be a heat wave to you guys.

mike - thanx for your input and i hope you frequent RCTECH and help some of us out.........in your opinion, what do you think the industry/tracks should do to "slow" the TC class down so it doesn't become the next Pro10 class. I think Pro10 would be excellent with 4 cells. look what it has done for the oval community. if it wasn't for 4 cell classes in their 10th scale classes that division of the sport/hobby would of completely dried up. again, congrats on your HUGE wins and i look forward to seeing you here more often. take care
Old 03-15-2003, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Re: Track and the Traction......

Originally posted by Mike Blackstock

Mike Blackstock
mike,

you might have met me briefly at the race, since we both run for KO PROPO...

but my question is that you mention above that "I think Jaco will be coming out with these tires soon. We ran double pink/Orange fronts and Double pink Rears", but yet it said specifically on the entry form and numerous other places that all foam compounds must be available to the general public for them to be legal for competion.

if JACOdoes not yet make this tire... how were you guys able to run them in the race?

peter

(P.S. now that i think of it, i'm pretty sure that the double pinks are available... but not certain... anyway cya)
Old 03-15-2003, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yea good to see you here Mike- congrats and I hope Vicki and the baby are well.

Looks like Eric Anderson and I are gonna make it to the NORCCA Nats at Scotty's place- you going? Is anybody going?

I wonder if the softer compound tires helped because they bridged the gap between the "groove" and "out of the groove" by giving a little less traction in the groove and a little more out?
Old 03-15-2003, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Double pinks are available. They have been run here for the past few weeks, with plaid in the front. (orange/pink?) and it has worked very well.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:00 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

"8-12: Vehicles, parts and accessories used in Stock electric classes must be readily available
through retail outlets at least 14 days prior to the event."

does not say anything that i can find about mod?
the race entry form says nothing about regulating tires that i can find.. maybe there is another entry form i have not been able to download/

under tires all i found was specifacations , nothing referring to avalability..
Old 03-15-2003, 08:01 PM
Tech Elite

as i understand it, a plaid is purple and orange, not double pink and orange... or am i wrong?
Old 03-15-2003, 08:05 PM
Tech Elite

straight from the twin city hobbies website...

http://www.twincityhobby.com/information.htm

peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.