Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WTF Tamiya Paint Sucks

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 02:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Default WTF Tamiya Paint Sucks

So I had my body painted perfectly. I wanted to tint the windows like the kit says to. I bought the Tamiya Smoke paint. And what do you know spraying it lightly it starts to run everywhere.

Now it looks like total ass and there is a pool of paint in the body on the roof.

Can you strip LEXAN bodies and repaint them? Or is it a lost cause?
Old 09-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I have heard DOT-3 break fluid dissolves the paint and doesn't fog the lexan too bad.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I hate using that stuff. Tamiya paints are fine. Just don't use that tint stuff. You have to spray super lightly for it not to run everywhere and even thats a challenge.

My first body I messed up with tint, but it was with Pactra paint, not Tamiya.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Tech Initiate

This was my first time painting an R/C Lexan body as well.

I used Pactra paint on the body and it looked so nice.

I used Tamiya Smoke paint and it looks like Sh*t.

What sucks even more is that this is a collectors type R/C car. I mean yeah I will run it for personal use and all not racing it. But I wanted it to look somewhat decent and I think it looks like total crap now.

It made me want to burn it so badly today.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by BlueBird-sr
I have heard DOT-3 break fluid dissolves the paint and doesn't fog the lexan too bad.
So regular paint thinner or R/C paint thinner for that matter will fog the Lexan?
Old 09-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Tech Addict

Use Windex
Old 09-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by gtypecanare
Use Windex
Will it take of all paint, if I wanted to repaint the whole body?
Old 09-21-2006, 04:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Man ....
the Tamiya smoke paint is easy to use ,you have to ...... DUST !!!!!! the coats on...and only give 3 light dusting and check the body on the car ....as even the tint doesn't seem heavy...when it is in place it will apear darker,I have it light or just so you can just see the eletric stuff in side.
Now to fix the body...paint the window's black and write it off as whoop's...o-well I'll try again anther time,this body I'll use as a hacker!!!!
see ya timmey
Old 09-21-2006, 11:24 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

To remove paint off lexan bodies use this stuff called ELO (Easy lift off) works awesome!
Me though, Id just black out the windows.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Dont forget though, COMPLETELY blacked out windows aren't legal for racing. Not sure if thats one of your major concerns, im sure appearance is higher on your list, but i thought i'd mention it.

Try windex, or even plastic safe motor sprays work sometimes. Don't use normal thinners though, i've found it degrades the lexan and makes it more prone to cracking.

Hope you sort it out, i've found the same thing at times with that smoke, but once you get the hang of ridiculously light coats it works well.

Have fun!

Robbie
Old 09-22-2006, 07:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default "WTF"....window tint is window tint with any paint...

"WTF"....window tint is window tint with any paint...

A tad bit more practice and time is needed.
And if the body is rare/collectors/really important etc etc...then test spray what ever you're going to use first....

"WTF".....

Old 09-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by timmey
Man ....
the Tamiya smoke paint is easy to use ,you have to ...... DUST !!!!!! the coats on...and only give 3 light dusting and check the body on the car ....as even the tint doesn't seem heavy...when it is in place it will apear darker,I have it light or just so you can just see the eletric stuff in side.
Now to fix the body...paint the window's black and write it off as whoop's...o-well I'll try again anther time,this body I'll use as a hacker!!!!
see ya timmey
Exactly...
Old 09-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Next time practice on some scrap lexan first. Don't blame the paint. , And watch your language, that's one reason that your post was ended on HobbyTalk.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'm a long time Pactra fan but my LHS says they are no more. Sad day. So I'm stuck getting Tamiya paint... for a dollar more per can. $7.50/can?????? I remember when it was $3.50 a can. Anyways, I tried something I'd never done before that was mentioned in RC Car Action. Dunk the cans in hot water. Not totally immersed but most of the way up the side. It allegedly makes the paint spray finer. It worked out great for me. Although I wasn't really happy with how bright the red from Tamiya is. I'm going to have to practice mixing to achieve darker shades. My next body is the HPI McLaren LM and I want that Orange to be spot on.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Dung ding dind thread back from the dead! I always dunk my cans in hot water (just normal tap hot) works great,increases internal pressure, gives a nice fine spread and spray.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.