Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LMP Body for Touring Cars

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 05:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rampal
Ssam, if you made more than one, I certainly will buy you one to test it... hehehe!! It's been years looking for an Audi LeMans....

One question though, how do you plan to solve the refrigeration holes? Are you planning to open it or just smooth them?

cheers and good luck,
The location of the primary air inlet on top of the cockpit seems ideally suited for a cooling vent to cool the motor/esc on several TC chassis layouts. But the bodies will obviously ship without any of the vents cut out. It will be up to you to decide!

Also, just to make it clear again - that Tamiya R8 body fits the F103LM chassis only. It will not fit conventional touring cars (TC3, T2, etc.) Otherwise I wouldn't be bothering with all this trouble!
Old 06-19-2006, 06:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

SammyXp Can we buy these Now and any word on the one I need help with?

Thanks
Old 06-19-2006, 06:52 AM
Tech Regular

If I had to give my best estimate on when the R8 would be available - it would be 2 months. Maybe better, but it really depends on how quickly we get this vacform machine built. The mold is almost ready for the first few pulls. Then we'll use one of those pulls to form a tool kast resin mold and prep it for forming.

And if you're referring to a followup DP shell, I probably won't start work on that until after the R8 ships and I get feedback on the fitment on popular TC's.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks
Old 06-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SammyXp
...Also, just to make it clear again - that Tamiya R8 body fits the F103LM chassis only. It will not fit conventional touring cars (TC3, T2, etc.) Otherwise I wouldn't be bothering with all this trouble!
I realize that Sammy and Im sure other members do also.
It was not meant to distract or hijack your thread - merely to let others know that this rare find was available.
Personally, Im glad someone else is taking some initiative to vacuum form body shells.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wallyburger
I realize that Sammy and Im sure other members do also.
It was not meant to distract or hijack your thread - merely to let others know that this rare find was available.
Personally, Im glad someone else is taking some initiative to vacuum form body shells.
It's cool, that is a rare find. I just didn't want anyone to be confused into thinking this was a touring car shell. And I didn't want anyone to think I was crazy for going through all this effort when a body was already commercially available!
I'm almost tempted to buy it, for my pan car!
Old 06-19-2006, 08:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I watched some of the 24 Hours of LeMans this weekend and many of those cars would look great in 1/10 form (the Courage, the Pescarolo Judd and Lola come to mind right off)

I personally would like to see somebody try GT1 style bodies (like they run in the Speed World Challenge GT division)
Old 06-19-2006, 09:33 AM
Tech Adept

It's cool, that is a rare find. I just didn't want anyone to be confused into thinking this was a touring car shell. And I didn't want anyone to think I was crazy for going through all this effort when a body was already commercially available!
I'm almost tempted to buy it, for my pan car!
You are crazy going thru the motions of making this shell (and maybe more down the road)
I know the feeling - after making a dozen different micro scale shells (none of which are available commercially) to-date, and limited choices with the ones that are commerically available , I still feel nuts about adding more to my collection. - like they say "hobbies cost you money, they dont make you money..."
Old 06-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

We race a class in New Zealand called Super Touring in which we use the Le Mans style body shells. But it turned into a one body class because everyone was using the Frewer Lolitta body shell. It has so much down force it is unbelievable. In mod good for about an extra 1/2 to 1 lap. In nitro definately good for at least a extra lap over standard touring car body shells.
The downfall of all this extra downforce is much increased battery usage. You lose about 30 secs of run time in mod compared to standard body shells.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fatbear
We race a class in New Zealand called Super Touring in which we use the Le Mans style body shells. But it turned into a one body class because everyone was using the Frewer Lolitta body shell. It has so much down force it is unbelievable. In mod good for about an extra 1/2 to 1 lap. In nitro definately good for at least a extra lap over standard touring car body shells.
The downfall of all this extra downforce is much increased battery usage. You lose about 30 secs of run time in mod compared to standard body shells.
Wow, interesting to hear firsthand experience with a high-downforce shell on a TC! With the super low profile of this R8, I'm hoping drag is closer to the slick sedans. Never know until I'm done, though!
Old 06-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Wow, interesting to hear firsthand experience with a high-downforce shell on a TC! With the super low profile of this R8, I'm hoping drag is closer to the slick sedans. Never know until I'm done, though!
I'm pullin' for ya bro!!! Lets get LMPd' !!!
Old 06-19-2006, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

WOw... this is cool. I would love to see this thing come to life! Keep up the good work!
Old 06-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I hope you can get in contact with some race organizers for an exhibition class at a big race. Maybe just get 5 to 10 guys to run the body in an exhibition race. Wont hurt the racers efforts to do so, but could really open up the eyes of the general RC public that never find there way to RCtech.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I'd like to try one...for sure.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just had a chance to catch up on what you are doing. We did some wind table testing some years back with a selection of tamiya bodies, a pair of digital scales in a platform table, and a large industrial floor fan. We found the weight of the front and rear of each car with body, without the fan on. Then turn on the fan to low about 15 mph, and recorded the weight of the car, and turned to high about 30 mph, and recorded the weight again. I see in your results you show you have downforce on the front of your body. We never actually saw this. We believe it was because of the shape under the front of the body. The fluid test may not be taking into account. We foung that a car with the least lift is actually what your looking for, in a sence, that would be the most downforce!

Kevin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.