Ontario 1/8 On Road Racing Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ontario 1/8 On Road Racing Club

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Tech Adept

Rick, the track is much nicer to drive now with the distinct track outline. Who did you have the bad experience with, US or Canadian Customs? I got the royal US Immigration scrutiny at Port Huron for last year's Detroit MWS. I thought I was headed back home for sure before he allowed me to proceed. What a pain that was, I'll never cross there again. I've had no issues at the Detroit/Windsor crossing. 3 trips last year with the vehicle loaded to the roof with spares and no issues in 2004 either. You Cleveland/Mentor guys will have no issues crossing into Canada at Buffalo, New York.

If any of you guys require a letter of invitation to assist in a smooth border crossing, just ask, we'd be happy to help out. I did that for Brian Berry last year when he came up to Hamilton. I don't recall if he encountered any hassles with all of the RC gear on board. I suspect that you will encounter more red tape going home than you will entering Canada.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GSwayze
Rick, the track is much nicer to drive now with the distinct track outline. Who did you have the bad experience with, US or Canadian Customs? I got the royal US Immigration scrutiny at Port Huron for last year's Detroit MWS. I thought I was headed back home for sure before he allowed me to proceed. What a pain that was, I'll never cross there again. I've had no issues at the Detroit/Windsor crossing. 3 trips last year with the vehicle loaded to the roof with spares and no issues in 2004 either. You Cleveland/Mentor guys will have no issues crossing into Canada at Buffalo, New York.

If any of you guys require a letter of invitation to assist in a smooth border crossing, just ask, we'd be happy to help out. I did that for Brian Berry last year when he came up to Hamilton. I don't recall if he encountered any hassles with all of the RC gear on board. I suspect that you will encounter more red tape going home than you will entering Canada.
thats good to know so you can prepare for some delays thanks for the heads up .
Old 05-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

going to try and get the guys together and come for one of the big races
Old 05-16-2006, 01:01 PM
Tech Adept

For racers coming either way to the U.S or Canada, never use the following words at the border crossings when asked what you're doing;

nitromethane- that's a real no no

radio control - all sorts of connotations with that phrase

I use 'glow fuel' and 'model car racing'. Never had any problems with those phrases. Of course I have a ten year history of working in the U.S. and a green card. Homeland Security has seen me many, many times on the computer.

For those of you who go to the U.S. to race you can have all your equipment listed on a Y33 form at Canada Customs to avoid any hassles coming back to Canada. I'm not sure there's a similar item for U.S. racers, but it never hurts to find out.

Its only a border between two countries, not Siberia. Chill out and everything works out fine.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Tech Adept

The "Model Car Racing" phrase has always worked well for me!
Old 05-16-2006, 01:35 PM
Tech Regular

we were returning to the U.S. and had problems with our own damn people, they would never tell me but I am suspicious that it had to do with my name being so damn common, had this happen before.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have crossed at Port Huron many times going to MWS and Toledo races and had no problems (knock on wood). I always say I am going to a remote control race and I have all my gear with me. I also carry a list of general items just in case they ask, and also a few recent invoices to prove where I have purchased the car etc.
Key is to be prepared for questions and be NICE no matter what they ask.

Come on over to Hamilton Rick its worth the trip.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:57 PM
Tech Adept

Default can-am

Jimmy(captian) try hard to convince the guys to make a road trip, you wont regret it.
the can-am and the nats will be 2 great events this year, the track is fun to drive, the people are great, you guys will have a good time.
steve
Old 05-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by AKSHUN
Jimmy(captian) try hard to convince the guys to make a road trip, you wont regret it.
the can-am and the nats will be 2 great events this year, the track is fun to drive, the people are great, you guys will have a good time.
steve
going to do my best steve.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
we were returning to the U.S. and had problems with our own damn people, they would never tell me but I am suspicious that it had to do with my name being so damn common, had this happen before.
Ya, Rick, it was the name.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:18 PM
Tech Adept

Don't forget that the beer north of the border is good too!
Old 05-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Fossil, We will have to talk about this list thing the next time I see you. Model car racing sounds good.

If I tell the Mounties that I am going over to Play insteal of work, maybe they will let me in this time. The March trip did not last so long.

When all else fails, I will use "We are on a mission from God". That should work.

Can not wait to get up there for the Canadian Nations on July 2nd and Scream A NEW Monkey.

By the way Fossil, have you ever hit any of those large rocks going on the sweeper and back stretch? That will be a good target for Roger.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Tech Adept

I never got into the Rockies but Bill went in and out of them last year. Gravel runnin'.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fossil
I never got into the Rockies but Bill went in and out of them last year. Gravel runnin'.
Yeah now that's gettting in the marbles LOL
Got a few OOhs from the crowd.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Darint
The track looks great! With my travels to Toronto increasing for business, I'll need to stay over a weekend and watch one of your events!
Darint
Why just watch bring your gear and race!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.