Wiki Posts
Search

Aceton and carbon chassis

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Aceton and carbon chassis

Evening all,

I was just scrubbing some small glue marks off the chassis with the above substance in the form of nail varnish remover, my freind has just told me that aceton can cause the chassis to split apart and delaminate, this has got me very worried, if any nail varnish remover has touched the edges it would have been a very small amount indeed. should i start worrying or is the solution too weak to count?

cheers
Old 03-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have used it many,many times and never had any kind of an issue. I am sure if you were to soak the chassis in the stuff for a while you'd run into a problem though, but just wiping the chassis with it is fine.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Are you talking about Acetone? If so, it most likely evaporates before it can sink in. unless you dunk it in acetone over night, I wouldn't worry.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Tech Adept

Acetone is most certainly corrosive towards all types of resins. It is used as a thinner when working with resins. However, once cured, the resin will be reasonably resistent to acetone as long as you just use a small amount on a rag and wipe off the glue with the rag.
If you were to use excessive amounts of acetone (ie soak the chassis in it), it would start to break down the chemical bond between the laminations which could lead to delamination.