Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Question about Oneways >

Question about Oneways

Question about Oneways

Old 10-03-2005, 03:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Question about Oneways

I have a question about oneways. I purchased a TA-05 and am going to get a front oneway for it, but do I really need to center oneway along with it? Is there any advantage to running dual oneways vs. just a front oneway? I know that the dual setup will be a little heavier, and on a car that everyone says is already heavy is it worth the extra weight? Oh, I will be running on carpet w/rubber tires if that make a difference. Thanks
-David
Old 10-03-2005, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The center one-way would make the rear tires also spin free when off the throttle, not sure about using both of them at the same time.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Center one ways mean no brakes, but it'll roll freely, no drag from the motor. My racing partner just built a JRXS that way, but still haven't driven it yet...
Old 10-03-2005, 03:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Any-one ways mean no brakes...
With a centre -one way, your less likely to endure tweak from having one-way bearings rotating at different speeds. It does it by making the front drivetrain freewheel off power, removing any loading on the front pulleys.

Personally, whenever I use a front one-way, I also use the centre too, in a strange kinda way, it makes sense to me.

Regards
Ed
Old 10-03-2005, 03:37 PM
Tech Regular

Center oneways do not make the rear wheels spin free off power it only lets the front belt spin free off power the rear belt is still hooked to the center shaft on or off power
Old 10-04-2005, 02:56 AM
Tech Master

I have a one-way in my Xray and I have brakes.

Its just that when you use it, and ain't going in a straight line, the car loops around.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Tech Champion

"Any-one ways mean no brakes..."

Nope, cause my Pro-4 still has brakes... and like the 1st guy to correct you said, it just locks up the rears and can send your car spinning down the track.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by R40Victim
"Any-one ways mean no brakes..."

Nope, cause my Pro-4 still has brakes... and like the 1st guy to correct you said, it just locks up the rears and can send your car spinning down the track.
Braking with a one-way will help if your entering a tight turn after a long straight. It only works with a point and shoot style through that turn. If you use any steering while under braking, you WILL spin out. Spools are the hot thing in outdoor asphalt, not sure about on carpet though, but try one if you get the chance. Accelerates like a one-way, and brakes TWICE as hard as a diff.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:23 AM
Tech Addict

And TRIPLE the wear / tear on your drivetrain components !
Old 10-05-2005, 02:36 AM
Tech Master

One of the guys who races where I do uses a spool, and he goes through a set of foams every four races.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Now I am even more confused. I have a Tamiya TA05 an have the choise of the folowing:

- front one way
- center one way
- front and center one way

Of course I also can use the diff on the front.

But the main question is, what's the real difference if any, between the three?

In all three cases the motor still brakes the rear tires. So I still have brakes.

Is there a perticular circuit that favours on of the options above?
Or is it purely dependent on your personal driving abilities?

Alwin.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

hm...

a) one way diff only - front wheels freespin off power... drivetrain decelerates...

b) one way diff and center one way - same deal as (a), but drivetrain decelerates slower because now the front half of the transmission is also freespinning...

c) center one way + spool - front wheels freespin off power, but no speed variable between left and right wheel...

my 2 cents... probably not the most profound explanation nor the most correct...
Old 10-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Well, don't worry about your answer. It's somewhere to start from. I think it's unclear to most people what the difference is (as it is for me). I guess it is personall and trial and error.

Anyone else got experience?
On different surface?

Alwin.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I find the middle one-way only effective when you have a spool or diff in the front, as you'll have the benefits of the freewheeling when off-power, and the on-power benefits of the diff and spool, such as better turning and better out-of-corner acceleration respectively.

Having the middle and front one-way is pretty well the same as having front one-way and a locked middle, other than the free movement of the front belt and pulley, which for some may see as another bit of drag to eliminate when off-power, and others won't care.

Yes, you do have brakes, although any more than just a touch will spin your car around, or if you have something like a monster stock motor, simply the drag provided by the strength of the magnets can cause it.

I myself use the front and middle one-way, and when I get knocked wide in a turn, I may apply my brakes a bit to slide my tail as a last resort to get my car in the right direction. It's purely for emergencies, but it works.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I know you're using rubber not foam, but you might find the following interesting. It's on www.teamxray.com under the forum T1. The thread is called...Oneway on carpet???...with foams??? by teamgp.