Orion Vortex First Look

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Orion Vortex First Look

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 10:30 AM
Tech Legend

Thank Kerry v, I was startin to wonder ???

How long do yeah think before you can tell us the whole scoop ??
Old 08-22-2002, 10:40 AM
Tech Adept

Hopefully soon. When we do we will have video examples of everything as well.
Old 08-22-2002, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally posted by dtm

Yes I have 'heard' the GM controller and the 'bleeps' are exactly that same strange tone. Also the 2 controllers look exactly the same! If you could get the GM instructions over to me...that would be really great...Thks!
Just bear with me, I will try to get it uploaded after work today. Trying to edit the pic. so that its legible. My manual is like a photostated piece manual.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:44 PM
Tech Rookie

It's official. Novak will be releasing ther brushless in December 2004. They estimated they will have sold all their old stocks of esc by mid 2004. As soon as they start selling the brushless they will start an international propaganda to defame the traditional dynamos.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:38 PM
Tech Adept

I'm not sure where you get your information, but Novak manufactures their own components so there is no basis to the "current stock" theory. Secondly, they just released their new GT7 speed control. Standard ESC's will be the major income source for Novak for years to come since brushless motors wont be allowed in sanctioned races any time in the near future.
Old 08-23-2002, 02:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Anyone know if the Orion system has drag brake? I know that the Hacker/Schultze system a friend let me try out didn't have it which made my first run pretty interesting. I know the the Orion controller is a Schultze also, but it looks different than the one I tried. So I was woundering if drag brake was possible w/ their system. Anyone know?
Old 08-23-2002, 02:33 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Originally posted by KerryG
Hopefully soon. When we do we will have video examples of everything as well.
Will the videos includes clips with the motor running on a track against other conventional motors...or just bashing around? A track test against something like a 8T on a technical track will really be able to show up a lot......and at least convince one punter...(ME!) to pull out the green stuff!
Old 08-23-2002, 04:40 AM
Tech Master

Hi guys. Greetings from Malta.

This all sounds very interesting, but hopefully the brushless motor concept will not be sanctioned for racing for a while.

Most people are still pouring cash out on conventional speedos, and indeed manufacturers are still developing them.

makes one wonder, doesn't it?

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
Old 08-23-2002, 11:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't think the brushless motor will become sanctioned for a while either. So far Orion is the only mainstream "motor" company that is going to release one. I can't see the motors having a chance of being approved by Roar or Ifmar until both Reedy and Trinity release their own motors. As for Novak I don't think they will have a chance of getting the motors approved either. Since they are a ESC manufacturer most of the guys that they sponser are also sponsered by "motor" companies. So there's less of a chance of lets say, Kinwald, using it since he has a big sponsership from Trinity.
Old 08-23-2002, 11:55 PM
Tech Master

You have a very valid and interesting point there!
Old 08-24-2002, 04:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

who cares what the pros are using, i know that if the brushless technology is proved, local racers will buy them, and in turn there will be classes run for them, i for one know that i cant wait to stop wasting my money on old tech crap.

In time the sanctioning bodfies will need to provide solid rules for what is being used out in the clubs, it is inevitable.

I dont give a toss whether Kinwald et al are using, if it makes my car faster, and cheaper to run i will get it.

The guy from wild hobbies should shut his mouth if he has been told not to divulge information, and not start threads bragging of what he has access to, this is a place to share information and learn, not to sell, or provide propaganda
Old 08-24-2002, 04:37 AM
Tech Addict

My main concern is the durability and ease of operations for motors and esc. In theory they should be zero maintenance provided that they dont get damage. Actually, that is another question. If the user wants to take a peak inside the motor, can he reassemble the motor himself or does all maintenance go back to the factory. My friend's aveox had to be sent back in order to have the end bell reinstalled (he popped it open by mistake).
Old 08-25-2002, 01:17 AM
Tech Adept

People want to know about this motor and I am giving out as much information as they let me. As I get permission to say more I will. Right now, telling people what I can about the Vortex seems better than nothing at all.

As for sanctioning, it does not matter one bit what happens at the club level, look at IFMAR, they still don't recognize 1/10 scale electric buggies and how long have people been running those? About 5 years or so now? People have been running T-Maxx's for over two years in club races and none of the sanctioning bodies have approved them.

Two of the biggest companies in the business Trinity and Associated/Reedy could easily put enough pressure on them to basically never sanction an electric motor even when they come out with their own. A Brushless motor for either of them is a huge hit in the pocketbook since they loose tons of money in recurring revenue from selling brushes for regular motors.

What's good for the hobby isn't always what good for business.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:10 AM
Tech Initiate

A friend of mine let me take apart on of his Hacker motors. Let's just say it was easier to take apart and put back together that a regular mod motor. Hopefully Orion's will be the same. Setting up the Schultze controller is simple ,but takes some getting use to. It just depends on how you transmitter is set. I think Orion's controller will be just as easy to set since is too is a Schultze.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:59 AM
Tech Adept

If the test report give favorable result to the motor, I don't see any reason why it should be hold? Hope the new motor work up to our expectation. This would save us lots of times and more playing time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.