Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4331Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 03:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nrtv20
I've got some old equipment laying around and thought about getting back into VTA, are the old Novak Ballistic 25.5 motors good enough?
Use that motor to get back into the swing of racing because in a few months the Gravity motor will be the only one legal anyways.
nrtv20, oreo, mrreet2001 and 2 others like this.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just learned about the new motor rule. Happy happy joy joy. I have 3 VTA cars because my local track did not have the class and takes 3 to make a class. 7 entries now. Other near by tracks do not have strong VTA class and takes 3 to run the class. So I have two friends that drive for me. Have 3 Roar approved 25.5 motors @ $140 ($420) with 10/11 races on them, as I just switched to TC from offroad last spring. Now I get to spend another $85 ($255) times 3 to race. Hopefully local track won't enforce new motor rule. Other nearby by track runs 21.5 TC (I run that also) not 25.5 TC, hopefully they will not enforce the motor rule either in VTA. Or I got $420 worth of paper weights. Spirit of Trans Am racing was to get all the horsepower you could out of a 305 cubic inch V8 engine with 4 different OEM's making cars and engines, MOPAR, GM, FORD, and AMC. Studied alot about late 60's early 70's Trans Am racing and do not ever remember hearing that all 4 OEMs having a spec engine. So why should USVTA enforce a spec motor, just leave it ROAR approved 25.5 like the real cars had a 305 Cubic inches limit?
Old 02-01-2024, 07:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

"In the spirit" seems to be open to interpretation
Big_Show likes this.
Old 02-02-2024, 05:11 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MonkeyCmonkeyDo
"In the spirit" seems to be open to interpretation
Yes for some reason some people seem to think the rule refers to actual Trans Am racing. It's like they don't read the actual rule.
If it's not in the rules, and does not encompass the spirit of slower, controlled racing with realistic looking cars, consider it illegal. This is called the "Spirit of VTA" Rule.
Old 02-02-2024, 09:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

We also run 4wd platforms so the "like actual trans am racing" ship kinda sailed on day one. I also have to spend a bunch of money on 3 cars and am not that happy about it, but at the last points race I traveled to, I had the fastest lap in USGT and VTA for the night and that was an 11.2 vs 11.9. These two classes should not be as close as they are. The VTA cars should be at LEAST a whole second slower on that track. I could probably put my MC5 25.5 in the USGT and do the same laps. The next fastest USGT time was an 11.4 and the fast lap for the other fast guys in VTA was 12.0, so in general, the track saw a .6 difference between the classes.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Why would it be a problem in the first place if VTA was faster than USGT? Fast guys racing fast cars that happen to look like old school race cars. Seems like a good problem to have.
I doubt anyone built a race car and thought, wow this is to fast, we should handicap it.
busman and Big_Show like this.
Old 02-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thirtydaZe
Why would it be a problem in the first place if VTA was faster than USGT? Fast guys racing fast cars that happen to look like old school race cars. Seems like a good problem to have.
I doubt anyone built a race car and thought, wow this is to fast, we should handicap it.
People build a race car and think, wow this is too fast, I made a mistake when I got into the class, and they quit.
Seen it countless times in 12th scale, stock touring car, USGT. That's why USGT went to a spec motor, because it was just as intense as stock touring car.
Old 02-02-2024, 11:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Razathorn
People build a race car and think, wow this is too fast, I made a mistake when I got into the class, and they quit.
Seen it countless times in 12th scale, stock touring car, USGT. That's why USGT went to a spec motor, because it was just as intense as stock touring car.
I agree 100%. Plus you are suppose to get better and be able to compete and race up the ladder, not down…
Old 02-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

People have to have an understanding that once they have outgrown the spec class, the next step is going to be much faster. At the same time they need to be prepared to get rolled by fast guys who race stock touring car, and also vta.

The next thing you're going to be demanding is that guys who race faster classes are banned from the slower ones because it's not fair to the novice driver.

At some point people need to grow up and realize there are winners and losers, and if you want to play the game you are going to have to take your bumps and bruises and learn how to move at a different pace. It's foolish to ruin the class for the experienced driver to appease the novice.

I know it sounds crazy, but some people race VTA because they enjoy what it offers, not because it moves slower.
Big_Show and MonkeyCmonkeyDo like this.

Last edited by thirtydaZe; 02-02-2024 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-02-2024, 01:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just wish when the other spec motor went away, USVTA would have said we will get another spec motor soon, do not go buying high $ ROAR approved motor.

I race VTA because of the bodies, could care less about spec tires and motor. TC bodies are ugly and do not have the awesome 60's/70's pony car look. If I could I would run the 70's Challenger body in 21.5/25.5 TC class, local track again no body rule so I do. When I go to other tracks I put the ugly egg shaped TC body on. USGT most bodies are super cars, I run the 2017 or what ever year legal Dodge Challenger body. Do not care if it is not the fastest body, my car is going to look bad ass to me. Super cars do not cut it. Hell we run a TTO2 class with no body rule and I am running a 70 Dodge Charger body. Sitting 2nd in points at my local track half way through our winter series.

IDK about you guys but I race RC because I can not afford the real thing, but I want my RC racing to resemble full scale racing as close to possible. So growing up with my hero's being Big Daddy and King Richard which was both innovators and in the spirit of those two innovators, if it is not written in the rule book we can do it. By spec rules just like full scale has become there is no room for innovators. Hell by these rules we would not have the rear engine dragsters as the NHRA would not have let Big Daddy run the thing.

I wish VTA was 2wd/rear wheel drive chassis like the real cars was. But I am way late to the game. RC is supposed to be fun, but when they change rules and price you out, I guess that takes the fun away.
NutDriver and Scott_T like this.
Old 02-02-2024, 04:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

There are rules in place to guide individuals. I myself, run parking lot racing. No ROAR events. I hear what Big Show is saying and I understand the financial hardship. It is ridiculous. I choose not to comply. Disqualify me. I don't care about 1,2,or 3rd place. I just care to play toy cars with my friends. I barely make the A main as it is. If I were to win, which is a shot in the dark at least for another year, in my heart, I know I didn't win because of a motor. I run the stock spec esc in Blinky mode. I buy cheap motors. If RC racing is about scale fun, then enjoy the fun and not get caught up or affected by the lame rules that change. Not everyone can afford to change motors every time some vendor greases someone's pocket. Hell, I bought the PF tires and wheel and then the next week they allow them all!???? WTF?! I care not to allow the rule change to make me buy more tires. Others used them and learned from them. I'll run those till they're slicks. And then they'll change the rules again.. Maybe. Probably. Who cares. Enjoy the sport and don't let the rules get to you, unless winning and complying means everything. Being a rebel is cool.
thirtydaZe and Big_Show like this.
Old 02-02-2024, 05:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Lightbulb

I dunno.
Maybe your particular local program doesn't strictly follow the USVTA rules.
Or maybe they do, and that new blue motor is just right for the class and we come to regard this change as worth the cost.

Maybe we are all just tilting at windmills that are all miles away or never materialize.

Old 02-04-2024, 01:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)

for the spec motor, is that a ROAR and/or USVTA rule?
Old 02-04-2024, 02:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aaronpryor1974
I agree 100%. Plus you are suppose to get better and be able to compete and race up the ladder, not down…
nothing i enjoy more than someone telling me how I'm supposed to enjoy playing with toy cars
Old 02-04-2024, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
nothing i enjoy more than someone telling me how I'm supposed to enjoy playing with toy cars
"YOU'RE HAVING FUN WRONG!!!"
skypilot and MonkeyCmonkeyDo like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.