Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Which car to choose? Serpent Impulse Pro or V1RR? >

Which car to choose? Serpent Impulse Pro or V1RR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which car to choose? Serpent Impulse Pro or V1RR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 07:22 AM
Tech Master

Default Which car to choose? Serpent Impulse Pro or V1RR?

Hi!
I was offered 2 nitro vehicles, used. A Serpent Impulse Pro (stock mostly with lotsa spares) and a Kyosho V1RR (lots of Kawahara and 5 star hop ups, spares, but no "centax" clutch something like that). Both cars are in great condition (serpent: 1 race, v1rr, 2 races). So could you guys tell me what are the pros and cons of each car?

Also, which nitro cars can tune these settings: Front antidive/kickup, rear antisquat, front and rear roll centre (aka camber link positions. OR do they all use the ball type suspension?).

Thanks, hope not to create a Serpent VS Kyosho debate here. Never owned a nitro, only drove nitros 3 times only for less than a tank each

Regards,
Alvin
Old 08-11-2002, 07:55 AM
dtm
Tech Champion

Cheap spares...stick with Kyosho!
Old 08-11-2002, 08:28 AM
Tech Adept

Yeah i hear serpent is expensive to buy replacement parts.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Which car to choose? Serpent Impulse Pro or V1RR?

Originally posted by Alvin
Hi!
I was offered 2 nitro vehicles, used. A Serpent Impulse Pro (stock mostly with lotsa spares) and a Kyosho V1RR (lots of Kawahara and 5 star hop ups, spares, but no "centax" clutch something like that). Both cars are in great condition (serpent: 1 race, v1rr, 2 races). So could you guys tell me what are the pros and cons of each car?

Also, which nitro cars can tune these settings: Front antidive/kickup, rear antisquat, front and rear roll centre (aka camber link positions. OR do they all use the ball type suspension?).

Thanks, hope not to create a Serpent VS Kyosho debate here. Never owned a nitro, only drove nitros 3 times only for less than a tank each

Regards,
Alvin
All i can say is Serpent's parts are expensive, i had an Impulse Pro, drove for 3 months and sold it. Because i cant maintain that car. Its parts are very expensive compared to V-1-R.
Now running a V-1-R, most of the spares come in PAIR, unlike serpent selling one piece by one piece....
In terms of durability, i compare with the Impulse and V-1-R, they are strong and sturdy and can sustain many many times of flips, crash and etc....etc....
I bought the Pro when i first picked up this hobby, i break lots of parts...because this hobby is all about speed, only if you like speed then you'll like this hobby, rite? I was so careful when running the Pro, because worried about breaking parts and gotta replacements...etc.etc.., but still, cant stop it from happening.

And now my 2nd car is V-1-R, i do break some parts...but i have no real worry when i play with it. Another thing is, this car is much much lighter than the Pro.

In terms of finding a correct setup for V-1-R, i applied the nearly the same setting used in Pro, my car runs great and more stable than the Pro.

So, my advice is to get a V-1-R.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Here's a tip, maybe if you guys stop drive recklessly, then you won't have to replace parts so oftenly or talk about durability. Any R/C hobby doesn't always mean speed, handling will win you the races. So keeping your car well maintanced and out of crashes will insure you a benefit of saving money on replacing parts. Personally I'll take both of the cars, although i own a serpent impulse with upgrades on it. To tell you one thing about serpents is that their parts last longer than kyosho parts, yet if it ever needs replacement, you'll be spending at least $10 a part. If you going to bash around go upgrade your car with aluminum parts instead of carbon fiber because they crack easily.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Here's a tip, maybe if you guys stop drive recklessly, then you won't have to replace parts so oftenly or talk about durability. Any R/C hobby doesn't always mean speed, handling will win you the races. So keeping your car well maintanced and out of crashes will insure you a benefit of saving money on replacing parts. Personally I'll take both of the cars, although i own a serpent impulse with upgrades on it. To tell you one thing about serpents is that their parts last longer than kyosho parts, yet if it ever needs replacement, you'll be spending at least $10 a part. If you going to bash around go upgrade your car with aluminum parts instead of carbon fiber because they crack easily.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:39 AM
Tech Master

Alvin, both cars have the the pivot ball susp.. so u wont be able to use the antidive or kickup as wat we use in our elect.
both of them have the pros and cons.
part wise, kyosho is abit more cheaper..
but support wise. u always have sam there .. so it all depend on you.. I have 2 sepernt and 4 V1Rs..
all of them are pretty the same..
they are all highly tunable.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:43 AM
Tech Addict

Jack why would you need 4 of the same cars??? and i would get a v one r, it has the improvments of the impulse's shortcomings, plus the parts are cheaper and easier to find
Old 08-12-2002, 01:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by compaq888
Jack why would you need 4 of the same cars??? and i would get a v one r, it has the improvments of the impulse's shortcomings, plus the parts are cheaper and easier to find
why???
cause my hand couldnt stop buying.
actually i have 2 V1R and 2 V1RR...
so it acutally 2 impluse, 2 V1R, 2 V1Rr
Old 08-12-2002, 01:34 AM
Tech Addict

lol, at least you got a pro car fleat
Old 08-12-2002, 05:43 AM
Tech Master

Hey guys, thanks for your input! A question. Say one set of foam tires, how many races can it last? Say 35 or 37 shore. Thanks!
Old 08-12-2002, 06:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Hey...

Hey guys, thanks for your input! A question. Say one set of foam tires, how many races can it last? Say 35 or 37 shore. Thanks!
r u the alvin who already runs a Pro at Jurong ? why r u still posting such tread here? i found u on the forum..!!!
Old 08-12-2002, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Hi RClover,
I think probably wrong person.... last I know I don't have anything with "pro" on it Is it the other Alvin? I'm alvin yap, usually I run a 12th or 10th scale pan at jurong. rubber.... cannot chase down foamed nitros
Old 08-12-2002, 07:03 AM
Tech Addict

So alvin whick kit will you be buying?
Old 08-12-2002, 07:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default soli...man!

Hi RClover,
I think probably wrong person.... last I know I don't have anything with "pro" on it Is it the other Alvin? I'm alvin yap, usually I run a 12th or 10th scale pan at jurong. rubber.... cannot chase down foamed nitros
so soree man... wat a small world huh...!

In fact, foam tyres last me around 2 races - i mean the tyres are not totally worn at the end of two races, but those foams (esp. the Rear) will be changed to new ones or those i had used for 1 race. Because i dont want to run those really 'Low Profile' tyres in a race that might lead to instability...i think u can judge for urself when u r into foam nitros...
But of u r not careful or accidentally knock ur tyres against a wall or dividers, foams will chip off or u'll find crack lines on ur tyres...but i use them for practices...its okay...! dun worry!
37 shore contains harder compounds than the 35 ones. Which mean to say 37 is more durable but May offer lesser grip than the softer compound on 35 shore which provides a little more grip.

Hope this help..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.