Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree710Likes

Team Associated RC10B64 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 08-01-2017, 03:20 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10B64 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Welcome to the B64 Wiki!

Quick links to all the sections on the first page!

Petit RC Page

B64D Manual

Aftermarket Upgrades

Welcome to the B64 Wiki!

Quick links to all the sections on the first page!

Petit RC Page

B64D Manual

Aftermarket Upgrades

Aftermarket parts

Helpful Tips and Videos

How to properly Shim the B64 Diffs

B64 Club Racer video

Helpful Tips and Videos

How to properly Shim the B64 Diffs

B64 Club Racer video

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 06:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rmbatch
Well I am not doing so well. I am really close to giving up on my B64D. I am trying to set it up for 17.5 stock, but cannot get the gearing right. I am running a fixed timing Muchmore motor, a reedy Blackbox ESC. I have tried all sorts of spur/pinion setups, with slipper eliminators as well as slippers. I just can't get the speed, or punch out of the car I need compared to others I see running the same motor in different makes of cars. I am running on an outdoor dirt track, with medium grip, using the same tyres as everyone else. I have tried to setup my car the same as Ray Munday (at a different track and he runs mod) but still no good. I have replaced my bearings with AVID ceramics, I have replaced my diffs with plastic diffs. I have no clue where else to go to get this car to run properly.
Before putting in the fixed timing motor I cooked 2 Reedy M3 motors, then struggled to get a Trinity 24K certified to run cool enough. I have tried to shimming my diffs, changing the diff fluid, lighter batteries, heavier batteries.
Any suggestions would be appreciated from someone who is currently successfully running a B64D in stock. Thanks
IMHO I'd just try and run a different class if you could. I've struggled to get the B64 to my liking with a 13.5 let alone a 17.5. For me, it's a very sharp handling aggressive buggy. Great for mod motors or high grip/carpet. Aside from jumping ship to a different car or changing classes just focus on gearing to not smoke motors. IIRC I'm at like 24/81. Turn off any drag brake as well as there's enough friction in the drivetrain as is to keep the nose down in the air. Don't compare punch or top speed to other cars because it's all subjective. Lap times are the only standard of measure. You may have to just take different lines to keep your corner speed up if you lack the grunt off the line. I'm like you and I'm still not 100% happy with my B64 but I run a stock motor in a mod class and it puts up good numbers which is the only reason it's still around
Old 09-11-2017, 07:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 159 (99%+)

If you are running a locked timing motor and trying to keep up with others that aren't, you are going to have a bad time.

The '6 amp setting' is an okay baseline, but that is just an estimate to get the most power out of the motor. It for sure isn't the most efficient way to run. If you are using the amperage method to set timing, I wouldn't jump right to 6 off the bat. Try setting the timing for 4-5 amps and running a couple full practice races that way. That last 2% of power you gain by adding more timing adds a disproportionate amount of heat to the motor.

While a fan is a great way to keep it cool, surface area plays a big factor. Add a simple clip on heatsink that the fan can blow air through to really maximize the cooling power.

Another way to make the car more efficient is to reduce toe. I know it will take some other adjustments to compensate, but 3 degrees of rear toe in a 4wd vehicle with a 17.5 motor is overkill. Going to 2.5 or 2 will reduce rolling resistance and give you more steering as well. Try to keep the front close to 0 as well.
tom73 likes this.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rmbatch
Well I am not doing so well. I am really close to giving up on my B64D. I am trying to set it up for 17.5 stock, but cannot get the gearing right. I am running a fixed timing Muchmore motor, a reedy Blackbox ESC. I have tried all sorts of spur/pinion setups, with slipper eliminators as well as slippers. I just can't get the speed, or punch out of the car I need compared to others I see running the same motor in different makes of cars. I am running on an outdoor dirt track, with medium grip, using the same tyres as everyone else. I have tried to setup my car the same as Ray Munday (at a different track and he runs mod) but still no good. I have replaced my bearings with AVID ceramics, I have replaced my diffs with plastic diffs. I have no clue where else to go to get this car to run properly.
Before putting in the fixed timing motor I cooked 2 Reedy M3 motors, then struggled to get a Trinity 24K certified to run cool enough. I have tried to shimming my diffs, changing the diff fluid, lighter batteries, heavier batteries.
Any suggestions would be appreciated from someone who is currently successfully running a B64D in stock. Thanks
Hi mate Im not a stock expert but I was at the NSW titles over the weekend in Sydney and pitted next to Lachlan Donnelly who won 4wd 17.5 with his B64 (all racers using the Muchmore fixed timing motor as a control motor). Would be worth asking his father Chad for advice if you are in the area or on facebook. I know they are running the MIP lightweight drivetrain and I believe also the Bezerk locked slipper shaft. Unfortunately there is a huge difference between mod and 17.5 power output for 4wd and the fixed timing motor is visibly slower than the open timing motors (when I have seem them run head to head on a club day).

These motors need to be geared super tall to work properly. Some of the other suggestions here (no drag brake, reduce toe) are also good suggestions to follow.

Have fun!

Ray
windycityblues likes this.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:38 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ray_munday
Hi mate Im not a stock expert but I was at the NSW titles over the weekend in Sydney and pitted next to Lachlan Donnelly who won 4wd 17.5 with his B64 (all racers using the Muchmore fixed timing motor as a control motor). Would be worth asking his father Chad for advice if you are in the area or on facebook. I know they are running the MIP lightweight drivetrain and I believe also the Bezerk locked slipper shaft. Unfortunately there is a huge difference between mod and 17.5 power output for 4wd and the fixed timing motor is visibly slower than the open timing motors (when I have seem them run head to head on a club day).

These motors need to be geared super tall to work properly. Some of the other suggestions here (no drag brake, reduce toe) are also good suggestions to follow.

Have fun!

Ray

Thanks Ray, much appreciated
Old 09-12-2017, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
had bad luck with HPI glue leaving a white residue when sealing some towers, any brand recommended?
I like AKA tire glue and I use an old dull exacto blade to lay it on the edge with the blade. Seems to have less glue buildup this way and spreads evenly.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I've had good luck with AKA glue as well. I pour some on to a penny and use an xacto blade to apply it as well. I just dab some on the blade and "paint" it on the edges. Competitionx.com also has a good tutorial on sanding and sealing the edges.

Last edited by Chris Brown; 09-12-2017 at 07:45 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-14-2017, 12:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Red RC ? RC Car News » Exotek B64 Flite stock racing centre spool set
Old 09-14-2017, 08:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default MIP 13.5 puck system

Just wanted to see if anyone could answer this Since didn't get a response from MIP. I was looking into ordering the kit and some spare bones for the 13.5 system. I came across conflicting info on their website. When you buy the kit, it says the rear bones are 67mm long, but if you just want replacement bones, it says they are 65mm long. Does anyone have the correct measurement so I know I'm ordering the right parts? Thanks!

Last edited by Prostreet314; 09-14-2017 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-14-2017, 09:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The rear bones on the B64 are 65mm.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What pinion for a 7.5?
Old 09-16-2017, 08:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TRIPLE 675
What pinion for a 7.5?
Using the 21/81 recommendation from the manual and am happy with it.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi, does anyone know how to solve the horrible and very embarrassing whining noise that comes from the gearbox? Ive rebuilt this thing so many times the threads in the plastic parts are now rubbish. Not keen on throwing more money this.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

use earplugs?
jabroni racing likes this.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Guys,, I'm running a 17.5, I too am running the stock gearing 21/81, after two race days it's clear that I'm much slower than most of the other guys in punch and top end,, is bumping up the pinion a good idea or is that just going to get the motor/esc to hot?

tia
Old 09-17-2017, 08:03 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

how are you temping right now?

Assuming your motor isn't having issues, personally when running spec classes I start by using a method that the late Big Jim, one of the premier motor guys of his time recommended to me, with a few changes. Basically, he said to start by gearing your vehicle to top out towards the end of the longest straight, then check temps. I do this, within reason if the straight is really long or insanely short, and see how the vehicle feels and how the temps are.

If all looks good, I usually stick with that gearing or adjust about a tooth or 2. This in general has worked really well for me on a variety of vehicle platforms from 1/10 scale 2wd an 4wd buggy up to 1/8 E truggy.

Hope this helps.

as a side note, you can over heat a motor by being undergeared and have it revving at its high end range of the throttle all the time. If you find you are pretty much topped out throttle wise around most of the track, especially very very early going down a straight, I would give my gearing a look for sure.
RCBuddha and aracefan like this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.