Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

How to properly glue Sedan tires for CRC Black Carpet

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 01:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Very good method, but hard to do without a tire sander that can rotate slowly... The proline tire glue seems to leave a very shiny surface versus other glues, but I always find myself using a thick glue first, then sand a bit before finishing with the proline glue... By then, my whole tire sidewall + rim can stop a 50 caliber bullet...lol...
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
I hope this is OK to post here. At the snowbirds Alexander Hagberg and I had an Xray work shop and one of the topics I covered was how to properly glue sedan tires for the new CRC black carpet to help with traction rolling. I had tons of request to make a video showing how to do it and make it look nice but more importantly use a consistent method. Well here is a link to the video. Hopefully everyone can understand my redneck talk!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH-3WUTL6Ew&t=86s

EA
Old 02-14-2017, 02:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a nice Muchmore tire sander, but it unfortunately doesn't have a variable speed option. Anyone come up with a neat way to modify a Muchmore sander (or other single speed sander) to have variable speed? Seems a shame to have to buy a new tire sander just to get real low speed.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:25 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minidriver
I have a nice Muchmore tire sander, but it unfortunately doesn't have a variable speed option. Anyone come up with a neat way to modify a Muchmore sander (or other single speed sander) to have variable speed? Seems a shame to have to buy a new tire sander just to get real low speed.
You can use a buck converter to take the voltage down and make it barely spin. I was able to do it with this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015Z02TE4

That said, you can find the SkyRC sander for $63 shipped. I'd just put the money toward that.

One of our locals is ramping up production of a 3D printed machine that spins the tire nice and slow specifically for gluing purposes. Not sure on pricing, but probably less than a new sander. The prototype has been popular.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

On the black CRC carpet, tire glue is now what I would consider the #1 most important setup thing to get right. The difference 1mm makes can be tremendous. Honestly, it's not a great situation, and nobody I know likes it, but the tradeoff is that we get to race on carpet that generally has much better grip.

So, if you're competitive, or ever hope to be competitive, making this a consistent, repeatable process is critical to your success.

It's great to see EA share this information. Even though it's become pretty much common knowledge for those of us racing on the black rug every day, it took a year of experimenting for us to get here. As far as tire gluing to prevent traction rolls goes, this is next level.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

"One of our locals is ramping up production of a 3D printed machine that spins the tire nice and slow specifically for gluing purposes. Not sure on pricing, but probably less than a new sander. The prototype has been popular."

I own one of the prototypes. It is small, spins at just the right speed and works on batteries. Works awesome. Not sure if he has made any upgrades or design changes but the foot print of mine is approximately 4"L x 2.5"W x 1"H. I've been using Losi standard thickness glue but I really like Eric's use of the Pro Line Glue with the tip being just the right size for getting the glue bead laid down at the correct OD. Pro Line Glue on order

Last edited by Leester; 02-14-2017 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:57 AM
Suspended

Been using this process for several months now and it I'm not sure how you could top it. The best part IMO is the kicker in the cup; that is genius. It used to take forever to get a nice & clean glue job, now it's just minutes.

I personally glue my tires on the car. I have the G-force sander but I just prefer using the drivetrain of the car with my hand. I have more control over everything like that. If you do it that way, I would strongly advise using setup nuts to hold the wheel that you are gluing, and be sure to just snug the nut gently on the wheel so you don't have to struggle to take it off with wet glue on the sidewall. I normally place the tire that I want to glue on the right rear while spinning the drivetrain from the left front. If you are careful and make sure to keep the wheel spinning, it will never have time to run and create a high spot.

AKA and Losi glue are also great. I just started using the Pro-Line glue after pitting with EA at Stock Wars. I really like that the PL tip will get you right around 88.5mm without any effort, but it is definitely thinner than AKA and Losi glue. I've found that with AKA or Losi I could get away with 1 coat of glue in most conditions while with PL, I need a 2nd coat.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by minidriver
You would just need to get a rheostat the wattage of the motor and wire it to the input and you would have speed adjustment
Old 02-15-2017, 06:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Great info! Where do you buy the kicker spray?
Old 02-15-2017, 06:50 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Berrystrong
Great info! Where do you buy the kicker spray?
This is the best place Ive found if your local shop doesnt carry it.

https://www.amazon.com/BSI-Glues-Ins...th+accelerator

EA
Old 02-15-2017, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

for the record...skyrc tire sander looks like the same thing for an average of $10 cheaper in case anyone is looking
Old 02-15-2017, 07:17 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by phatboislim
for the record...skyrc tire sander looks like the same thing for an average of $10 cheaper in case anyone is looking
Yes it is the same. Skyrc is the parent company and they make stuff OEM for GForce.

EA
Old 02-15-2017, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I would just flip my car upside down, put something under the body posts to make it sit at an angle then turn it on and click my throttle trim a few clicks.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:29 AM
Tech Regular

How thick is the ProLine glue?
I know I can just get some, but I have everything else here so can practice on some old tyres tonight.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jsapata
Is this only good for carpet?
There's no need to do it on asphalt as the grip levels aren't the same.
On asphalt anything approaching grip roll should be able to be sorted with setup.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
On the black CRC carpet, tire glue is now what I would consider the #1 most important setup thing to get right.
Sadly, it's true!