Like Tree8Likes

YOKOMO Touring Car BD-7

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 03:56 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Racing4Evo
The xray has short shocks and has always looked like the best/easiest car when grip is on the lower side. The new car should be more stable if anything and handle more like the xray which seem to have gotten to grips with their shock/spring package. Yokomo V1 short shocks were a disappointment and were not consistent at all.
I don't see it handling like an Xray in low grip conditions to be honest, it doesn't have the flex and flex options that the Xray has. It's winter here in the UK and my local club race outdoors all year round. It's the BD7 13's and Xray T4's that are working the best in a mixture of conditions from completely dry but very cold too completely wet. I personally think they are going the wrong way with the BD7 and are just making a car that works in high grip conditions, I guess we shall see!
Old 12-01-2015, 04:01 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mnevoso
hey guys I am having an issue with my bd7 constantly breaking steering blocks and having the bottom king pin ripped out. Anyone have a way of making them stronger or is there an aluminum option?
Strengthening the part without first identifying why it breaks might be just shifting the weak spot around. What happens?
Old 12-01-2015, 04:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bar
I don't see it handling like an Xray in low grip conditions to be honest, it doesn't have the flex and flex options that the Xray has. It's winter here in the UK and my local club race outdoors all year round. It's the BD7 13's and Xray T4's that are working the best in a mixture of conditions from completely dry but very cold too completely wet. I personally think they are going the wrong way with the BD7 and are just making a car that works in high grip conditions, I guess we shall see!
On which basis do you conclude that the 2016 is developed for high grip conditions only?

To me they have made a car that more looks like an Xray.

I was at the last ETS race in Hudy Arena this year, and Volker was running/testing a car that had some Xray parts on it, including shocks. So in my view, the Xray has been very much in focus in the developing of the 2016.

Out of curiosity, what is the flex options the Xray has that the Yokomo does not have? Only thing I can think of is the optional 1.6mm (instead of the 2mm) top deck Xray offers.

In these days, developing and selling a car that only works well under specific conditions seems illogical.

And even Volker and the other top pros does not always run on high grip tracks, asphalt or carpet. At some of last season outdoor ETS races rain have fallen and stopped the race (Luxembourg, Hudy Arena), and when the race is resumed, the grip is of course less. If you develop a car only for high grip conditions, you would suffer in many scenarios where you should not, if you want to win championships.

Last edited by Salkin; 12-01-2015 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:09 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Salkin
On which basis do you conclude that the 2016 is for only high grip conditions? They have lowered the CG and now give it a proper go for short shocks, like other cars. As I understand it, the current "long" shocks are kept current as a tuning option.

To me they have made a car that more looks like an Xray.

I was at the last ETS race in Hudy Arena last year, and Volker was running/testing a car that had some Xray parts on it, including shocks. So in my view, the Xray has been very much in focus in the developing of the 2016.

Out of curiosity, what is the flex options the Xray has that the Yokomo does not have? Only thing I can think of is the optional 1.6mm (instead of the 2mm) top deck Xray offers.

In these days, developing and selling a car that only works well under specific conditions seems illogical.

And even Volker and the other top pros does not always run on high grip tracks, asphalt or carpet.
Their low grip is not what we consider low grip here in the UK, mostly because they have a lot more people at the race meetings laying down traction. Have you seen an Xray motor mount, I have one screw that screws to the chassis past the motor. I have ran the Yokomo BD14 and 15 for the last two years and decided to buy a second hand Xray T4 15 to try and first meeting I ran with it the car was so much easier to drive and had so much traction in the dry and the mixed conditions. One of the guys runs a Yokomo 13 which goes extremely well, it has virtually the same flex as what my new Xray has. I just don't believe the car is going in the right direction, the 13 was an excellent club car that perhaps wasn't that great in high grip conditions. I think manufacturers may need to start producing two different cars. We shall see how the new car goes in club drivers hands I guess!
Old 12-01-2015, 06:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bar
I think manufacturers may need to start producing two different cars.
This is already happening in offroad... could very well come into onroad. Actually, not so long ago, Xray used to sell their cars in "rubber" and "foam" spec...
Old 12-01-2015, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mnevoso
hey guys I am having an issue with my bd7 constantly breaking steering blocks and having the bottom king pin ripped out. Anyone have a way of making them stronger or is there an aluminum option?
Stop hitting boards at full speed

(you saw this coming, didn't you?)

a few tips:
- dremel the wheel axle so it doesn't stick out of the rim and catch it when you hit that board
- tighten the kingpin a bit less so the plastic is less stressed and the steering blocks offers a bit more resistance around the thread when you hit that board
- stop hitting that board

All jokes asides - I hit boards too. I've raced the T4, BD7 and D07 the past 12 months. The BD7 is only marginally less solid than the T4, so it doesn't look like a design issue to me

Good luck,
Paul
Old 12-01-2015, 07:12 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Lonestar
This is already happening in offroad... could very well come into onroad. Actually, not so long ago, Xray used to sell their cars in "rubber" and "foam" spec...
Exactly what I was thinking Lonestar . I do like Yokomo though and I hope I am wrong and that the new car works in all conditions

Last edited by Bar; 12-01-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

But with all the myriad of option parts available to today's cars, isn't that already possible to some extent?
Old 12-01-2015, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bar
Exactly what I was thinking Lonestar . I do like Yokomo though and I hope I am wrong and that the new works in all conditions
As someone who switches back and forth between the two, my line of thinking seems to be close to the same as yours. The Yokomo, however is a very simple Machine with low tuning options, but diverse option parts. I feel like the Yokomo requires different configurations for different conditions, while the XRAY is far more traditional and easy to use. Ultimately, I am always a bit faster with the Yokomo, but depending on the surface and track conditions, I always run my car in different configurations. On the XRAY, pretty much I would always just run carbon arms for most conditions and Aluminum chassis on carpet.

I think the shock change is a good thing, the XRAY style Shocks should make the car easier to drive and the lower CG will help with high grip traction rolling and in low grip conditions, it will make the car more stable. If you are running on Low bite asphalt and you want more body roll, you'll be able to install tall shocks. (Although I have a feeling we will all end up switching to short shocks on low grip conditions as well). The Smaller drive train will be a bonus, as the lower weight will make a bigger difference in efficiency than the reduction in pulley size takes away. This will be a GREAT stock car, I think Yokomo is starting to notice this is a bigger market and is going to focus on trying to take some of XRAY's market share. The Yokomo -15 is a great stock car, but for carpet, it needs the small shocks on it. It is definitely harder to drive than the XRAY as it is more edgy, but it is just as capable, maybe a tenth quicker for me, but at the expense of almost never having perfect runs.

I am excited about the new car. I really hope they fixed the current issues. Volker looked dominating for the first time in a long time, and while the quality of driving was not quite ETS level, it was very stacked with really quick Japanese guys and Meen V.
Old 12-01-2015, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

I am excited about the new car. I really hope they fixed the current issues. Volker looked dominating for the first time in a long time, and while the quality of driving was not quite ETS level, it was very stacked with really quick Japanese guys and Meen V.[/QUOTE]
I'm super excited about this car I think It will definitely suit my driving style. Snowbirds here I come.
Old 12-02-2015, 01:47 AM
Tech Regular

Cristian, out of interest, what do you see as the current issues?

Are you referring to the shocks and diff? If so, is there any indication that Yokomo have done anything to improve these parts other than decrease the pulley size and produce BB short shocks? Thanks, Chris
Old 12-02-2015, 02:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

If all goes well, we'll have a 2016 kit in our hands on Monday....just in time to put it together for the first round of ETS.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:35 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CristianTabush
As someone who switches back and forth between the two, my line of thinking seems to be close to the same as yours. The Yokomo, however is a very simple Machine with low tuning options, but diverse option parts. I feel like the Yokomo requires different configurations for different conditions, while the XRAY is far more traditional and easy to use. Ultimately, I am always a bit faster with the Yokomo, but depending on the surface and track conditions, I always run my car in different configurations. On the XRAY, pretty much I would always just run carbon arms for most conditions and Aluminum chassis on carpet.

I think the shock change is a good thing, the XRAY style Shocks should make the car easier to drive and the lower CG will help with high grip traction rolling and in low grip conditions, it will make the car more stable. If you are running on Low bite asphalt and you want more body roll, you'll be able to install tall shocks. (Although I have a feeling we will all end up switching to short shocks on low grip conditions as well). The Smaller drive train will be a bonus, as the lower weight will make a bigger difference in efficiency than the reduction in pulley size takes away. This will be a GREAT stock car, I think Yokomo is starting to notice this is a bigger market and is going to focus on trying to take some of XRAY's market share. The Yokomo -15 is a great stock car, but for carpet, it needs the small shocks on it. It is definitely harder to drive than the XRAY as it is more edgy, but it is just as capable, maybe a tenth quicker for me, but at the expense of almost never having perfect runs.

I am excited about the new car. I really hope they fixed the current issues. Volker looked dominating for the first time in a long time, and while the quality of driving was not quite ETS level, it was very stacked with really quick Japanese guys and Meen V.
I'm sure the new shocks will be an improvement Cristian, I'm just not sure that having a car that is more stable in low grip conditions is enough if the car hasn't got enough traction. I would of liked to see a new motor mount and layshaft mount more like the Xray design. It would of also been nice to see some improvement in the diff. The BD713 was a very well received car here in the UK, it even won a round of the BRCA national series in the hands of Elliot Harper.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:27 AM
Tech Elite

Hi guys

any direct bolt-on parts (yokomo or other brands) you could point me to that would allow to limit the lateral movement of the battery pack but still fit on the split scotch tape alloy mounts?

I DNF'ed another main last weekend as I hit a board and the battery flew out / the tape broke. Not sure about which one is the chicken and which one is the egg but I know such L-shaped parts would certainly have prevented it

Please notice I never said I don't hit boards

Thanks,
Pauk
Old 12-02-2015, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lonestar
Hi guys

any direct bolt-on parts (yokomo or other brands) you could point me to that would allow to limit the lateral movement of the battery pack but still fit on the split scotch tape alloy mounts?

I DNF'ed another main last weekend as I hit a board and the battery flew out / the tape broke. Not sure about which one is the chicken and which one is the egg but I know such L-shaped parts would certainly have prevented it

Please notice I never said I don't hit boards

Thanks,
Pauk
Paul, make sure you file the alumnium battery holders a bit, this helps minimize the tape getting cut.

Bar, the short shocks on the xray don't really minimize grip in low traction conditions, hence my reasoning of why many will end up running with the std '16 shocks. Most outdoor tracks are larger and flowing so I see the lower cg being a big benefit in low grip conditions. On large tracks, you are always going at speed, so low speed traction is not much of an issue, and the lack of stability is what actually affects a car the most. Now on shorter tracks, where you are going point to point and pivoting hard, long shocks might be the answer in low bite, in order to get a little more side bite. Only way to find out is to get one! I got mine on order, we are also Yokomo dealers now, which makes it even more exciting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.