Wiki Posts
Search

Track Shut Down

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 04:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Unhappy Track Shut Down

For the first time in many years we no longer have a local indoor track. Every summer it gets very slow, and I guess that was the final straw. Now I have to travel to Nashville. The upside is a larger track at Thunder. What a bummer. I guess their is not a lot of money to be made unless you have a very large consumer base to help support the hobby. I was running three classes at one point. Bummed out in Clarksville.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:06 PM
Tech Regular

I'm glad I hadn't planned a road trip up there. Thunder is a nice track.
Another option is Extreme Hobby's indoor carpet track on Sundays. Wildflower in Spring Hill is an outdoor track geared more towards 1/8 scale. I heard they were thinking of suspending races for the rest of the summer though
Old 08-03-2015, 08:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So RBS is shutdown? I raced there once and it seemed like they were getting good turnouts.

I know Robert Dirla will appreciate more folks showing up to race at Thunder R/C, in fact they are having a race this Saturday and there are is some buzz on Facebook about a large turnout.

Extreme R/C is having an indoor carpet off-road race this Sunday at the Olympus Gym in Spring Hill. They have been getting consistent 60+ entries and the 4wd and 2wd buggy classes tend to be large. There's no 1/8th scale or nitro though.

There was some drama at Wildflower's track last month and they were talking about shutting it down. I'm pretty sure they will be back, they just need to sort out a few issues. Unfortunately the last few times I raced club races there, the turnout was not good. There is talk that they might concentrate on fewer races, but have them all be trophy/money races instead.

There's also Bullet Town Raceway in Milan TN. They seems to have a good turnout, but it's mostly 1/8th scale and 4x4 short course.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:26 PM
Tech Prophet

Yea indoor tracks open during the summer the turnouts will be quite low with the outdoor tracks running . Better off opening it back up to start the season when the outdoor season ends .

Only way it would work during the summer time is if you always have a good local crowd constantly.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Haven't seen it before but the 702 (indoor) track in Las Vegas closed its doors last week. It was sad, I was there for the last night of racing. Great turn out and some awesome racing. Later that night the Garret the owner posted he was closing the doors. A surprise for everyone.

Fortunately the RC Tracks re-opened their 1/10th (outdoor) track so the off-roaders would have a place to race.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by platgof
For the first time in many years we no longer have a local indoor track. Every summer it gets very slow, and I guess that was the final straw. Now I have to travel to Nashville. The upside is a larger track at Thunder. What a bummer. I guess their is not a lot of money to be made unless you have a very large consumer base to help support the hobby. I was running three classes at one point. Bummed out in Clarksville.
Rent/ lease went up to where it is not feasible. ER stated that at the fairgrounds/ raceway in Clarksville there will be a new RC track going in real soon also at a later date some round round stuff also.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:53 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Mudcat981
Haven't seen it before but the 702 (indoor) track in Las Vegas closed its doors last week. It was sad, I was there for the last night of racing. Great turn out and some awesome racing. Later that night the Garret the owner posted he was closing the doors. A surprise for everyone.

Fortunately the RC Tracks re-opened their 1/10th (outdoor) track so the off-roaders would have a place to race.
702 is back open this weekend, new owner. Problem is the outdoor track really swooped in and put together a killer 1/10th sugar track and stole a lot of thunder.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:36 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by VegasHB
702 is back open this weekend, new owner. Problem is the outdoor track really swooped in and put together a killer 1/10th sugar track and stole a lot of thunder.

Don't worry about 702. The 10 track over at RC Tracks is fun, but anyone supplying their own tires will absolutely not continue with going to sugar sweet Fridays if they can go race at 702. I went through 2 pairs just through 1 practice, 2 quals, and 1 main. It would be even better if theu could work out a series to support one another, and hopefully bring more clients.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mudcat981

Yep that does sux he did say it might re open under new owner,i hope so
Old 08-04-2015, 08:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

There is no money to be made at a track w/o a successful store and a bunch of big race events. Our track is legit enough for the JBRL to roll through once a year but its on private property. We have no overhead other than water, lights, & porta-potty and it barely breaks even. We only mark up parts 15% for the local racers and I still don't sell much. It is what it is. Lucky the track is owned by a sponsored racer who loves having the track. It pretty much operates as a non-profit. Our racers have no idea how good they have it. Club racing is $10 for a first entry and $5 for each additional class. That's super cheap right?
Old 08-05-2015, 12:06 PM
Tech Rookie

That's what our track charges for club members.

People have lost interest in racing at our track. Local interest is almost non existent and what few active club members that are left, are going in different directions at the end of the year.

The track has enough money to remain open and a minimal operating cost, it's just nobody is willing to take the reins.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:09 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
There is no money to be made at a track w/o a successful store and a bunch of big race events. Our track is legit enough for the JBRL to roll through once a year but its on private property. We have no overhead other than water, lights, & porta-potty and it barely breaks even. We only mark up parts 15% for the local racers and I still don't sell much. It is what it is. Lucky the track is owned by a sponsored racer who loves having the track. It pretty much operates as a non-profit. Our racers have no idea how good they have it. Club racing is $10 for a first entry and $5 for each additional class. That's super cheap right?

That's a good price for club racing but to cheap to brake even a little the tracks I race at its at least $20 for one class and $10 for a club race .
Old 09-28-2015, 11:15 PM
Tech Adept

That's a bummer that RBS closed sad to hear that.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hard enough to add racers as it is then when tracks shut down you have racers all over with no track in sight. Always nice when there is another option to save some racers.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Always a bummer when your local track closes.