Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RussF
Question about Novak Boss 25.5 motor.

I was servicing mine this weekend. I opened it up and took out the front bearing and cleaned it and re-oiled it. I couldn't get the rear one out so I just oiled it. The rotor had 1 shim on the back and 2 on the front when I removed it. I made sure I got it back the same. When testing it by running it with the ESC and no pinion it seemed to be pretty loud all by itself. It had kind of a "card in the spokes" sound. Could I have done something wrong re-assembling it? Any ideas?
check your motor screws - make sure they aren't too long
Old 10-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

is the bearing you took out seated properly and not moving at all? When talking with novak about a similar situation they said that could be the culprit.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I used the same mounting screws as before and I'm pretty sure they are short enough not to hit anything. I will check again though. Good idea.

I'm reasonable sure I seated the front bearing all the way in but I didnt hammer on it so it could be off just a smidge. I will use an aluminum bar and give it a good smack to make sure. I was wondering if maybe the viscosity of the oil in the front bearing could cause the sound. Sometimes heavier oil dampens the sound and I used a light bearing oil.

I was going to try and disassemble and reassemble it tonight and check for rotor fit. Novak suggested I might need to remove one of the front shims and that I should have 1mm or less of play on the rotor.

I will try and see if I can figure it out. Thanks guys.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Make sure the rotor isnt hitting the sensor board. It sounds like what is happening. Take the rotor and endbell assembly out and check that there are enough spacers on there to prevent it.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rodarbal
Ha ha! Sometimes it's pretty painful on the larger asphalt layouts our clubs set up here in CenTx. I mean, going down the back straight we can check our email or send texts.

*Disclaimer: I don't text and drive.
Yea right RJ you were probably texting when you crashed into me at the San Antonio EOS Race and crushed my sensor wire. HAHAHA
Old 10-27-2014, 09:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Question about Novak Boss 25.5 motor.

I was servicing mine this weekend. I opened it up and took out the front bearing and cleaned it and re-oiled it. I couldn't get the rear one out so I just oiled it. The rotor had 1 shim on the back and 2 on the front when I removed it. I made sure I got it back the same. When testing it by running it with the ESC and no pinion it seemed to be pretty loud all by itself. It had kind of a "card in the spokes" sound. Could I have done something wrong re-assembling it? Any ideas?
I see al lot of possible causes to your problem have been posted let me add one more. When servicing a motor one thing that usually happens to me at least is that one of the spacers on the end bell side of the motor get caught behind the sensor board and end bell. If not noticed the spacer can get into the motor and make strange noises.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
Yea right RJ you were probably texting when you crashed into me at the San Antonio EOS Race and crushed my sensor wire. HAHAHA
LOL, well I still feel bad about that one, John. To make up for it I landed you some good door prizes. You've got a PM on RCFiles with pics of the stuff.

BTW, after disappointing handling during the SA round, I'm happy to say my Mi4 was working pretty well for the Austin round on Sunday. Straight (and non-broken) CVDs made a world of difference. Ha! Guess I'll hang onto my old Schuies for another season!
Old 10-28-2014, 08:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by John Wallace2
I see al lot of possible causes to your problem have been posted let me add one more. When servicing a motor one thing that usually happens to me at least is that one of the spacers on the end bell side of the motor get caught behind the sensor board and end bell. If not noticed the spacer can get into the motor and make strange noises.
So I took the motor apart several times to check each of the ideas for things to check. In the end I think its just the way the front bearing sounds. Maybe its worn or just noisy. I will probably replace it when I can.

Things I checked:
Rear Bearing: Seated fully in endbell (How does it come out anyway?)
Sensor Board: Clear and clean. Tightness of screws seemed to have an effect on sound indicating a bind of some sort.
Rotor: Not contacting anything inside, that I can see.
FOD: No Foreign debris found
Shims: Tried with the stock one on back and two on front as well as just one on front. No difference in sound but the rotor was more free. Rotor moves about 1mm with 1 shim and about 1/2mm with 2. Ended up staying with 1 shim.
Front Bearing: Seemed to be the source of the noise. If I pushed sideways on the rotor while it was spinning and making the noise it would quiet a bit.
Noise: Not overly loud but not that nice whine sound like most motors have.

Thanks for everybody's suggestions.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

So I took the motor apart several times to check each of the ideas for things to check. In the end I think its just the way the front bearing sounds. Maybe its worn or just noisy. I will probably replace it when I can.

Things I checked:
Rear Bearing: Seated fully in endbell (How does it come out anyway?)
Sensor Board: Clear and clean. Tightness of screws seemed to have an effect on sound indicating a bind of some sort.
Rotor: Not contacting anything inside, that I can see.
FOD: No Foreign debris found
Shims: Tried with the stock one on back and two on front as well as just one on front. No difference in sound but the rotor was more free. Rotor moves about 1mm with 1 shim and about 1/2mm with 2. Ended up staying with 1 shim.
Front Bearing: Seemed to be the source of the noise. If I pushed sideways on the rotor while it was spinning and making the noise it would quiet a bit.
Noise: Not overly loud but not that nice whine sound like most motors have.

Thanks for everybody's suggestions.
what about your spur and pinion? maybe you have a chip in one or the other?
Old 10-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Tech Addict

The sound was with the pinion off and also same sound with the motor unmounted. The chassis seems to amplify the sound. When I install it with the pinion and spur the rest of the sound from the drive train seems to cover the motor sound a bit. Its not that loud, its just an unusual sound, more like a vibration sound.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:48 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I just got in the loctite recommended for press fittings. put that on the motor bearing in question (shaft side bearing was loose, spinning in endbell slot) and will see today if that took care of both the spinning and the noise I noticed from it.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:04 PM
ASM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cain
I just got in the loctite recommended for press fittings. put that on the motor bearing in question (shaft side bearing was loose, spinning in endbell slot) and will see today if that took care of both the spinning and the noise I noticed from it.
I know we spoke about the issue offline, let us know if the Loctite holds the bearing in place.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hey guys i was wondering where i could find a setup for vta for my tc6.1. We have a carpet track with medium grip and kinda bumpy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by redline511
Hey guys i was wondering where i could find a setup for vta for my tc6.1. We have a carpet track with medium grip and kinda bumpy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Found a couple online:
http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/asso...derRC20130908/

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/asso...2012/setup.pdf

Personally I like the Box stock TC6.1 setup for VTA and just make adjustments from there.
Old 10-28-2014, 04:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by godzukihop
Anyone running an XRAY T4-14 in VTA care to share their set-up.
See if this works, if not I can send you the PDF. Car is super easy to drive!

http://forum.teamxray.com/xform/inde...&setup=t4_2014

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.