Old 07-05-2014, 01:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Nice!!!! Solara. looks great.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OrganicMechanic
Most of the "LM1" classes out there are based on the www.USVintageTransAm.com rules with minor exclusions. As far as I know the only "out of box" chassis that fits within these specs is the SP LM1. Check out this thread http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...iscussion.html for some conversions or prototypes that fit the USLMP specs.

In my opinion the rubber tire rule is a joke, considering there is no current production rubber tire designed to fit these chassis types. The wear on the foams is really low even on 100*+ black top with tire sauce soaked in for 30mins+. I'll have to double check against the new foams I have but wear is maybe 1.5mm max wear after 35mins of qualifying and racing with no chunking! I haven't ran carpet yet, however I have read that people are 30+ lipo packs into their first set of foams on indoor carpet tracks.
The rules allow for Wheelbases from 250 to 280mm wheelbase @ up to 205mm Trackwidth. I've personally confirmed/authored 2 of those conversions. The F104 (F1R) conversion is about 5mm shorter wheelbase. Front and rear track is spot on running F103GT arm set with F104 king pins. The car will need ballast added. It works and it works really well. The CRC conversion is 20mm shorter @ 255mm wheelbase. It cannot be made longer with off the shelf parts. It takes 9 x 5mm spacers to drop the pod and front plate to accept uncut tires. It also needs a complete new rear axle assemby end to end. I used a Serpent F110 set and it fit perfectly with the correct offset. You can also use and F104/F013 axle set, but have to shim massively leaving the pinion in no man's land on the motor shaft.

Both work really well and are very competitive against the LM-1.

+1 on NOT needing rubber tires. The stock foams are great and make a nice control tire.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Looks like its based on the Toyota TS040 and I must say...Im IMPRESSED!
Old 07-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Solara
Finished the 3rd revision, will see what else we need to change before the final molding.

Nice!
Old 07-05-2014, 05:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064
The rules allow for Wheelbases from 250 to 280mm wheelbase @ up to 205mm Trackwidth. I've personally confirmed/authored 2 of those conversions. The F104 (F1R) conversion is about 5mm shorter wheelbase. Front and rear track is spot on running F103GT arm set with F104 king pins. The car will need ballast added. It works and it works really well. The CRC conversion is 20mm shorter @ 255mm wheelbase. It cannot be made longer with off the shelf parts. It takes 9 x 5mm spacers to drop the pod and front plate to accept uncut tires. It also needs a complete new rear axle assemby end to end. I used a Serpent F110 set and it fit perfectly with the correct offset. You can also use and F104/F013 axle set, but have to shim massively leaving the pinion in no man's land on the motor shaft.

+1 on NOT needing rubber tires. The stock foams are great and make a nice control tire.
Yeah your conversions are the two I was most impressed with, especially the CRC. What bodies did you mount on the 2 conversions you have done, would the SP LM body fit either without looking off?

The stock foams do make a good control tire. That's a really good way of looking at it, it keeps the class affordable.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default foam tire fear

Man I wish giuys would give up the fear of foam tires...

We run the kit set of foams on carpet week in and week out and have no desie whatsoever to run a rubber tire.

They are consistent, work great high bite, awesome low bite and wear like freaking iron.

Can't imagine anyone expecting more of a set of tires.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Finished the 3rd revision, will see what else we need to change before the final molding.

it's a 2011 Peugeot 908. VERY nice!!
Old 07-05-2014, 08:13 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by OrganicMechanic
Yeah your conversions are the two I was most impressed with, especially the CRC. What bodies did you mount on the 2 conversions you have done, would the SP LM body fit either without looking off?

The stock foams do make a good control tire. That's a really good way of looking at it, it keeps the class affordable.
The LMA Speedpower body will fit the F104. You just need to custom cut the rear wheel well location. The CRC works for all of the old 200mm Pro10 bodies as the bodies were made for that wheelbase. The one most of us are using is the RJ Speed 962. It provides good downforce, but the real reason we run them is cost. They're only $24.00 each.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Very nice Solara! Thank you for doing what I feel was one of the best looking LMP1 cars in the last 5 years.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by liljohn1064

I would say that anything that is more than 5mm different in wheelbase should not be allowed. You will not convince me that you can compensate for 20mm difference in wheelbase and have a car that looks legit, or good for that matter.
If you want this class to take off, it can't look like a bunch of science projects. Im not a fan of foam, but as has been stated earlier, the stock foams do not wear like others. The bigger problem is keeping the LM1 upright when the bite comes up. Just my $.02
Old 07-06-2014, 07:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
I would say that anything that is more than 5mm different in wheelbase should not be allowed. You will not convince me that you can compensate for 20mm difference in wheelbase and have a car that looks legit, or good for that matter.
If you want this class to take off, it can't look like a bunch of science projects. Im not a fan of foam, but as has been stated earlier, the stock foams do not wear like others. The bigger problem is keeping the LM1 upright when the bite comes up. Just my $.02
In the body list below you can find bodies that fit all of the varying wheelbases allowed by the official USLMP rules: http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html This definitely gives the class more options and keeps the cars from looking like science projects lol.
SpeedPassion LMA
Royce RM-1
Toyota GT-1 TS020
Rivall LMP1
Porsche 962
Nissan R91CP
Toyota Group C 88CV
Mercedes Group C CLR
Porsche 962C
Toyota GT1 TS020
Porsche 911 GT1

When the bite comes up and my LM1 starts to traction roll I just "dukes of hazard" that s*** and rock 2 wheels until she comes back lol... or I flip... either way lol.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I like the Rivall body, but it is prohibitively expensive.
Old 07-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BP SHADOW
If you want this class to take off, itpercent look like a burscikite projects. Im not a fan of foam, but as has been stated earlier, the stock foams do not wear like others. The bigger problem is keeping the LM1 upright when the bite comes up. Just my $.02
The dimensions listed on the USVTA rules page are what I was quoting. I know there are tons of old pann cars out there sitting in mothballs. I have temporarily put my CRC WGT to those specs to test. I would prefer it to be a completely spec class honestly, but its hard to tell someone who is 90 percent there to buy a new kit. I do have an issue with someone buying a pan car for this class and bypassing this car. The other issue I have is tearing up such expensive bodies. My original LM1 is all Speedpassion except for the RJSPEED 962 body and KO receiver. My original LMA body is now sponsored by shoegoo and drywall tape.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Received my new CF parts from F1rclab.com today. New carbon fiber battery cup/side spring mount, aluminum steering bridge, and CF rear shock mount/pod brace. Aluminum pod pieces on the way, too. Hope to drum-up some interest in the class at Bush River Raceway in Columbia, SC this weekend.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Let me make a humble suggestion: As a courtesy to Solara, we should probably try to keep this thread specific to the Speed Passion LM1. For those wanting to discuss the USLMP class, here is a thread that is more suitable:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...iscussion.html
The thread shows John's excellent CRC conversion, and has plenty of discussion on other cars.

Last edited by howardcano; 07-09-2014 at 02:21 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.