Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
New engine has came, now what... >

New engine has came, now what...

New engine has came, now what...

Old 05-09-2014, 12:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default New engine has came, now what...

Hi yesterday I got my Nova plus s4/ps, today I for the first time I wanted to turn it on and break it in. I pre-heated it up and tried to start but a failed the starterbox(fully charged battery) would not turn it over and when i pulled the pull start couple of times it got stock and would not rewind by itself so i took the engine out of the car and rewind it by myself.
I started to heat it back again but I failed again when i was priming warm engine the fuel would just revers its way back
tried more and more ( I have started couple of times but it straight staled ) And then engine temps were low again
So I again started to heat it up but could not get up to 200F because of dead 12v battery in starter box , the competition heat was wired up to that.
I have let it cool down in the house and gave it after run oil.
Tomorrow I will try to fire it up, Wish me best.

And nearly Forgot I have questions :Why when I prime hot engine the fuel
comes back? how can it be solved?
Any ideas on how to start it more easy ?
Is it ok for the engine to stay one-two days between break in?
Thanks for answers
Old 05-09-2014, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

crack the glow plug loose to start. after you start it, then tighten it back up. Make sure it is not flooded with fuel and hydrolocking. loosening the glow plug will relieve it some and granted, the engine is up to temp at start up, it should turn over easily.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Do you have a filter in your fuel line somewhere?
Old 05-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jaymancd
Do you have a filter in your fuel line somewhere?
Yes I do have a fuel filter
Old 05-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mr.NitroBurner
Yes I do have a fuel filter
Usually (at least when I have done this) when there is no filter the fuel does whatever it wants in the lines, but with the filter that helps hold it there. I am not sure but it could be to large of fuel line(if there are different sizes). just a thought
Old 05-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

If your engine and carb are severely overheated it will vaporize the fuel entering your carb and create back pressure so new fuel cannot flow into the carb. Does this problem with fuel back flowing happen when the engine and carb are cold? Are you applying to much heat to engine and carb?
Old 05-10-2014, 12:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jaz240
If your engine and carb are severely overheated it will vaporize the fuel entering your carb and create back pressure so new fuel cannot flow into the carb. Does this problem with fuel back flowing happen when the engine and carb are cold? Are you applying to much heat to engine and carb?
Hi with my old engine when it was cold i never had fuel coming back from the carb problem.
But how do i pervent the carb from heating up if i need to preheat my engine for break in, and i am using hair drayer to hit the 200f?
Old 05-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Just an up date I Have started it up today morning and broke it in for 5 tanks and let it cool down and piston at dead bottom , fired it up 4 hrs after and i gave it another 2 tanks of break in ( i was aiming to do another 5 but the glow plug ingator was dead)
I am happy because I got it to start and the temps were ok 210F-240f, when it staled , one pull on the pull start and was running

More info to come.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quick question, if you have a box! Why on heavens earth would u buy a pull start motor ?
Old 05-12-2014, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 1evo RRR Driver
Quick question, if you have a box! Why on heavens earth would u buy a pull start motor ?
I was going to reply with the same thing.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.NitroBurner
Just an up date I Have started it up today morning and broke it in for 5 tanks and let it cool down and piston at dead bottom , fired it up 4 hrs after and i gave it another 2 tanks of break in ( i was aiming to do another 5 but the glow plug ingator was dead)
I am happy because I got it to start and the temps were ok 210F-240f, when it staled , one pull on the pull start and was running

More info to come.
240 is too hot. And you shouldn't let it run out of fuel when breaking in new engine.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:20 PM
Tech Initiate

please tell me your not just letting it idle to break it in..
Old 05-12-2014, 11:26 PM
Tech Addict

The first step for a heat cycle break-in is idling for 1-2 tanks, running really rich. Although I agree, if he's ONLY idling, then he's going to have issues down the line.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by NOvarossi
please tell me your not just letting it idle to break it in..
No , for the first 2 tanks I let it idle than on the 3rd tank I used smooth pushes on trigger 1/10 to to get bit of rpm , 4th tank same thing but more rpm 2/10 on trigger, 5th tank same thing but quicker shots on the trigger ( car is all the time in the air) and than I stopped

After letting it cool of and piston at dead bottom I heated it up and fired it up again 6/7 tanks were the same quick short hits 2/10 on remote. on the 8 tank I started driving around 8 circles, on the 9 tank I gained bit more speed and than it stalled and I stopped because glow plug ignitor was dead.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by token
I was going to reply with the same thing.
I got a pull start engine because I perfer a pull start engine, I am a guy that wants to take his car into his bag and cycle to a nice bashing park, with a starter box I could not do that too heavy and dose not fit into my bag.