Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Abendor79
Ahh, so my GTB2 is in "blinky" mode. So if my friend's GTB2 does not have a white LED blinking when in neutral, does that mean he has boost in his car?
So just to be confusing...

Well, there were two versions of the GTB2 (normal and low profile). One blinks the white light when in neutral during statup. One blinks the white light light in neutral at all times.

Then there's the GTB2 w/X-Drive. This one is not adjustable at all, and will only blink the white light at startup just to confirm the light works. It doesn't blink at all after that because it's not possible to add timing.

Most other speedos will blink a light when in Sportsman mode. But since these Novak units aren't adjustable at all, they (sometimes) don't.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by k_bojar
check out this tuning guide that's for the GTB2.. the flashing white doesn't indicate 'blinky' mode, since this speedo is ALWAYS in blinky

if you didn't get a manual, you should be able to download it from Novak's site
Thanks! I see that under the "error/LED codes" section of the manual it says:

"• White status LED blinking. ESC timing is turned ON. ESC is operating normal."

I guess my GTB2 is newer than my friends GTB2. That's why his does not blink.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Thanks! I see that under the "error/LED codes" section of the manual it says:

"• White status LED blinking. ESC timing is turned ON. ESC is operating normal."

I guess my GTB2 is newer than my friends GTB2. That's why his does not blink.
I would have linked the manual for you, but its too big for rctech's limits

if you can't find it on novak's site, shoot me a PM with your email addy and i'll send you a copy of the one I have
Old 05-07-2014, 01:57 PM
Tech Rookie

I would have linked the manual for you, but its too big for rctech's limits

if you can't find it on novak's site, shoot me a PM with your email addy and i'll send you a copy of the one I have
Thanks! I looked inside the Novak box to see what version and manual it came with. Inside the box I found a receipt for a "Novak Super-Tuner Brain Board Upgrade #S1746B". I also found a manual that says "Super-Tuner Trackguide" and on it says that profiles 1, 2 and 5 are non-timing with blinking white LED. Profiles 3 and 4 are modified timing profiles.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:00 PM
Tech Champion

Thanks! I looked inside the Novak box to see what version and manual it came with. Inside the box I found a receipt for a "Novak Super-Tuner Brain Board Upgrade #S1746B". I also found a manual that says "Super-Tuner Trackguide" and on it says that profiles 1, 2 and 5 are non-timing with blinking white LED. Profiles 3 and 4 are modified timing profiles.
whoops. then that's not a legal GTB2.

that started life as a GTB2 x-drive, but whoever owned it before purchased the optional board which, I believe, made it equilvant to a havoc speedo

so you'll have some advantages (ie, dare I say cheat) over other guys running a non-molested GTB2 x-drive

sorry to break the bad news
Old 05-07-2014, 02:05 PM
Tech Champion

found this in my email when I was talking with Charlie at Novak

The brain board? All. The adjustability, and usability of the speed control goes way up. You get timing adjustments you never had before, and even for non timing, the firmware is "better". Values and settings are different to give more performance. I hate to use blank terms like Better and Performance, but unfortunately that sums it up. It just performs better.

I don't worry about performance/power upgrades with a driver until they can run a race "clean" with no mistakes. All the power in the world doesn't help until you can run clean.

There are times when the improvement helps you get around the track better, and make less mistakes, so knowing where you are in your skill set or learning curve is key to knowing if you need to spend any money on gizmos. To me, it's always worth it. New "race" stuff always works better in some way. If it didn't our team would run the lower level products also. At times we do, but for real races, we always run the flag ship stuff.
unfortunately, I cannot find a link on novak's site anymore about this
Old 05-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

So from what im understanding there is not just remote possiblity of the novaks having timing, but now its being confirmed. Why is there no concern over this? How many people have done and are currently doing this. The HW is locked in no timing and there are no "boards" that give you timing or the option of it, and only fear and conjecture that a software uprgrade may allow it. I think a blind eye has been turned to Novak products due to their initial support of this class. If the GTB2 has the known ability to get upgraded, it should be in more danger of being dropped than the HW that just has rumor.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Tech Rookie

found this in my email when I was talking with Charlie at Novak.

unfortunately, I cannot find a link on novak's site anymore about this
I searched on Google for "Novak Super Tuner Brain Upgrade Board" and found some articles on Novak's site about it.

So it looks like I can't use this upgraded "Super" GTB2 ESC for VTA racing. Do you know anybody that's selling a VTA-legal ESC?
Old 05-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

whoops. then that's not a legal GTB2.

that started life as a GTB2 x-drive, but whoever owned it before purchased the optional board which, I believe, made it equilvant to a havoc speedo

so you'll have some advantages (ie, dare I say cheat) over other guys running a non-molested GTB2 x-drive

sorry to break the bad news
So novak sold boards that add boost to there esc's ?? and these esc's are usvta legal ?? WOW
Old 05-07-2014, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by moparSRT
So novak sold boards that add boost to there esc's ?? and these esc's are usvta legal ?? WOW
Wow, I've got two GTB2's in my "fun" cars (and a Hobbywing in my "legal" ride) and I didn't even know this board was an option! Count me as living under a rock, and as a guy apparently replacing three speedos
Old 05-07-2014, 02:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

So it looks like I can't use this upgraded "Super" GTB2 ESC for VTA racing. Do you know anybody that's selling a VTA-legal ESC?
I'm starting to wonder , because apparently.....
Old 05-07-2014, 02:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by theproffesor
So from what im understanding there is not just remote possiblity of the novaks having timing, but now its being confirmed. Why is there no concern over this? How many people have done and are currently doing this. The HW is locked in no timing and there are no "boards" that give you timing or the option of it, and only fear and conjecture that a software uprgrade may allow it. I think a blind eye has been turned to Novak products due to their initial support of this class. If the GTB2 has the known ability to get upgraded, it should be in more danger of being dropped than the HW that just has rumor.
yes, there was a time when that update board was available. but it only worked with the x-drive version of the gtb2. and now it seems, its no longer available - and cannot even find info about the part on novak's site. so either it was a total bomb, or novak realized what they did damaged the integrity of the gtb2-series and dumped the part, dunno.

I know I asked about it before, right after it came out, and it was shotdown pretty much instantly because it changed the speedo from the gtb2 to (again, I believe) a havoc

so its not as much a blind eye as its a probably never going to be purchased option.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
I'm starting to wonder , because apparently.....
Does anybody have a Speed Passion Stock Club ESC or a Novak Edge they can sell?
Old 05-07-2014, 02:51 PM
Tech Rookie

yes, there was a time when that update board was available. but it only worked with the x-drive version of the gtb2. and now it seems, its no longer available - and cannot even find info about the part on novak's site. so either it was a total bomb, or novak realized what they did damaged the integrity of the gtb2-series and dumped the part, dunno.

I know I asked about it before, right after it came out, and it was shotdown pretty much instantly because it changed the speedo from the gtb2 to (again, I believe) a havoc

so its not as much a blind eye as its a probably never going to be purchased option.
Just got off the phone with Novak Tech Support. They said that the Super-Tuner Upgrade Brain board is no longer available to buy. The newest Novak ESC's (like the Pulse ESC and the Crusher ESC) come pre-equipped with the Super-Tuner Brain Board in them. Novak offered to switch the board in my GTB2 back to the original X-Drive board at no cost. Super cool!
Old 05-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

See, this is ridiculous. Why would the blinky only, can't run boost/timing at all, Justock be up for demotion when Novak themselves are sending out ESCs with new boards that CAN run timing?

Just solder in a new board, say its an older GTB2 that doesn't blinky, and you've got adjustable boost/timing in your car.

But somehow these ESCs aren't even being debated because you can't update the firmware. Why update the firmware when you can just replace the whole board and nobody would know?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.