Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Xray T1

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 12:07 AM
Tech Addict

I kid my self that I must being doing something wrong on these shocks because its only taking me 15-20 min a shock.

has anyone else had successes with the shocks.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Windsorguy99

If you upgrade to aluminum C-hubs then you'll start breaking knuckles instead...
Windsor, a cool Cyrul tip is to cut off the #2 outside holes on the servo saver to prevent them from hitting the bulkheads. This prevents the steering links from stiff arming the knuckles. I did it and haven't broken a knuckle yet.

JDWCA, I've seen the P-Dub bumpers, but do you know where I can checkout the Rubbernecks?

Last edited by kidDynomite; 12-30-2004 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Absolutely. You can e-mail Kevin @ [email protected] to look into a Rubberneck bumper. The only appreciable difference that I see is that the Rubberneck bumper is a little stiffer. Other than that they're pretty similar.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by JohnMatrix
I kid my self that I must being doing something wrong on these shocks because its only taking me 15-20 min a shock.

Don't get discouraged. The shocks are actually very, very good once you get 'em right. Don't forget to bleed the shock some if you notice that there's too much oil in 'em. There should be very, very little rebound without the springs on. In fact, it's a very close line between not having enough oil in the shock and it being just right.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by JohnMatrix

John, it takes me an hour or two as well. And after I get them even and silky smooth, one day at the track, 3 of them feel roughed up by tiny bubbles. I even put on new O-rings and shock bottoms,
e on. I think I'm going to try the Tamiya bladders before I totally give up on these shocks.

Last edited by kidDynomite; 12-30-2004 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Kid,
I am surprised you guys are having so much trouble with the shocks. In my opinion they are some of the best. I have never had any problems building them or after they have been built. Are you pulling down the shaft after putting the bladder on to create some vacuum? Try to make sure you don't lift the bladder from its seal when screwing on the cap and nut. I think this is where you are running into problems. Don't give up, you will get it rite. Also make sure the bottom of the shocks were the o-rings go is turned in all the way, as you will get airleaks if it's even alittle loose.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:44 AM
Tech Fanatic

thanks, Jamie. But I have built them using several different methods. Some I took right from here and some from sponsored Serpent/Xray guys who have told me they looked tight (caps and all) and felt smooth. But after about 6-10 runs, I can here slight squishing in 2 to 3 of the 4 (usually the fronts). I do love these shocks ... light and parts are inexpensive. I'm starting to think that they flex a bit under heavy load.

BTW, have you tried the foam inserts in the shocks?
Old 12-30-2004, 06:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by jdwca
Absolutely. You can e-mail Kevin @ [email protected] to look into a Rubberneck bumper. The only appreciable difference that I see is that the Rubberneck bumper is a little stiffer. Other than that they're pretty similar.
Thanks, jdwca!
Old 12-30-2004, 07:44 AM
Tech Master

Kid,
I never did try foam inserts in the shocks, but I do know afew people putting 2-3 small o-rings under the bladders. I also used to CA glue the bladders to the shock top(did this w/ old shocks). If you suspect the shocks are flexing under load, why don't you try the aluminum bodies.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Jamie Corrado
why don't you try the aluminum bodies.
I hear the plastic ones are still better ... and I like the lightness of them. I do like you CA idea. I have enough spares now to experiment. Thanks!
Old 12-30-2004, 09:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Jamie Corrado
Kid,
I never did try foam inserts in the shocks, but I do know afew people putting 2-3 small o-rings under the bladders. I also used to CA glue the bladders to the shock top(did this w/ old shocks). If you suspect the shocks are flexing under load, why don't you try the aluminum bodies.
Instead of CA, try using some Associated Green Slime along the top edge of the shock body. The green slime acts like a gasket.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:59 AM
Tech Elite

Kid - You're welcome. Like Jamie, I too am puzzled that you're having so much trouble with the shocks. I've been extremely happy with mine (I do have the aluminum bodies, however) and they're silky for weeks at a time. Never need a rebuild.

I'll take a picture of my ride later and post it up.

Jamie - You gonna be at HC on Sunday? I saw that you're running the quickest times of the local guys. Seems like you're putting a serious spanking on Carl, Raffaeli and Ru.

I dunno...it must the 415s those goons run.

Anyway, I know I'm looking forward to some really competitive racing with all the guys coming up on Sunday. Make sure you introduce yourself. I'll be one of the two guys there with the Surge shirt.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default wallpaper

Just put together a quick desktop wallpaper, thought some of you may be interested

its quite a large resolution, but im sure you can resize it to fit
Old 12-31-2004, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

JDWCA,
Will I be there on Sun.?, does a bear poop in the woods . All jokes aside, I have found a really good set-up for the car and dropped my Best qualifying time from 22/5.12 to a 22/5.05 last night. I am pleased but have to stay on top of my game as there should be some real good comp. at the race Sun.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)
Default ?

Originally posted by jdwca
Kid - You're welcome. Like Jamie, I too am puzzled that you're having so much trouble with the shocks. I've been extremely happy with mine (I do have the aluminum bodies, however) and they're silky for weeks at a time. Never need a rebuild.

I'll take a picture of my ride later and post it up.

Jamie - You gonna be at HC on Sunday? I saw that you're running the quickest times of the local guys. Seems like you're putting a serious spanking on Carl, Raffaeli and Ru.

I dunno...it must the 415s those goons run.

Anyway, I know I'm looking forward to some really competitive racing with all the guys coming up on Sunday. Make sure you introduce yourself. I'll be one of the two guys there with the Surge shirt.
Do you have sudden amnesia or something Jon, as per our conversation this morning, I said our cars were rippin', running STOCK, knocking on 22 lap pace... Jamie runs 19turn. It must be the blue!!!!!! Raf, was the only one running his in 19 turn. Carl, and I were running STOCK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.