Wiki Posts
Search

Driver Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 05:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by muahdib4
But they don't actually get "tracktime", they get "pullover" time. No chance to pull any kind of consistent laps. Then, they quit because it just isn't any fun.
The problem you are highlighting is not the fact that new guys aren't getting up to speed fast, but that new guys aren't content being slow, and... AND that folks tend to support (via statements like that), that if newbies aren't getting competitive quickly, then they're certainly not having fun. It's typical American instant gratification that we feed when we continue to make excuses for the learning curve instead of making ground. Guess what?.. this shiat is hard, and there's a pretty good chance that if you plug away at it for 5 years, then at your very best you still may be in the bottom 35%. That's what rookies need to know, and furthermore, what they need to accept. If they're trying, failing, but not having fun; they're in the wrong game. That's all there is to it really.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

It's weird to me to hear of a track that doesn't have a novice class or dedicated novice practice time. Some days we only have 3 novice but still better to have them beat up on each other then just toss them in the ring with the fast guys.

Especially with on road I think there needs to always be a dedicated novice class or it's going to send the noobs packing or getting the fast guys pissed off and racing elsewhere and that'll kill a track real quick.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Alloyslash has it right.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:37 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by alloyslash
Pulling over on the other hand is an unexpected move. Most fast guys would rather you maintain your line, communicate your intentions, and they adjust to make their move. They are faster than me because they have the ability to put their cars where they want them better than me, so hugging a corner is no problem to them.
Exactly right. Also acceptable is going an additional car width wide in a turn. No need to "pull over" and slow down, because you then have to pull back in without causing problems. Maintain your pace and drive a predictable line and it's easier on everyone. It's also easier to do this on a single turn (like at the end of a sweeper) rather than in an "S" turn, since in order to go wide you then need to be off the racing line twice.

For the vast majority of people on RCTech, you will run into both roles... being the faster driver, and also being the slower driver. Thus, it is a necessary skill for everyone.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Tech Regular

its simple

on heats if you have been lapped you let the guy through, he will most likely pass you anyway if he has any skill

on finals, unless you are being lapped then you can fight for what position you are in, so if mister "mcfast lap but hits every corner" comes right up your backside and ends up ploughing into you in his rubbish attempts at making pass, all he can do is cry insanity whilst you carry on as you did nothing wrong.

its all situational and i have had zero issues with communication with other drivers if they are wanting to pass etc.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Well this all makes for interesting reading. It's great to hear all of these different experiences and opinions from around the world. The fact that pretty much everyone has an opinion on this topic is one of the reasons I chose to write that article. However I never expected it to make it onto an RCTech thread. =]

I think I've made my point in the article so I won't add anything other than my experience racing at EWS today. I'm not the fastest or most experienced and was placed accordingly in heat 2, stock and wow what a great group of respectful drivers. I don't think there was a single incident during our qually all day just plenty of smiling, communication and even hand shaking after the race for respectful driving. The way we described this in the pits was that no one was trying too hard or taking a do or die attitude. Ultimately I believe that we had all come racing for the same reason.
Old 11-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lessen
The problem you are highlighting is not the fact that new guys aren't getting up to speed fast, but that new guys aren't content being slow, and... AND that folks tend to support (via statements like that), that if newbies aren't getting competitive quickly, then they're certainly not having fun. It's typical American instant gratification that we feed when we continue to make excuses for the learning curve instead of making ground. Guess what?.. this shiat is hard, and there's a pretty good chance that if you plug away at it for 5 years, then at your very best you still may be in the bottom 35%. That's what rookies need to know, and furthermore, what they need to accept. If they're trying, failing, but not having fun; they're in the wrong game. That's all there is to it really.
Actually, you're totally wrong about what I'm saying and your attack on America in General would get you punched in the face....so i would recommend not doing it. I'm saying there are no beginners classes , veterans are sandbagging stock and there is no way to practice (around here at least) unless you own your own private indoor track. But yeah, go ahead and talk to noobs like you wrote there..not real positive and supportive. I'd put someone like you in the wall just for giggles.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Actually, you're totally wrong about what I'm saying and your attack on America in General would get you punched in the face....so i would recommend not doing it. I'm saying there are no beginners classes , veterans are sandbagging stock and there is no way to practice (around here at least) unless you own your own private indoor track. But yeah, go ahead and talk to noobs like you wrote there..not real positive and supportive. I'd put someone like you in the wall just for giggles.
I don't see anything wrong with what he said. This is a hobby that is very hard to be competitive in. It takes time and patience and people that are new need to understand that. Too many new people show up at the track after spending money on the latest gear and think they are going to win races right away. Unfortunately, they usually get their a$$'s handed to them, get discouraged, and never come back.

As far as your comment about him getting punched in the face for insulting America, it was uncalled for. He is correct that we live in a society that demands instant gratification, so how is that an insult on America?
Old 11-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes veterans are crowding the stock class, but that's OK because newbies need to see how fast a Rc Car can really go with the right skills... The real problem is when you have racers demeaning slower racers and punting them on purpose... When that happens, the slower guy,with the director's help, needs to make sure the punter gets OFF the driverstand immediately !!! It's also helpful when the director is huge and imposing....
I race in NY, and I've personally seen idiots sent home bloody, never to come back.... Slowly, everybody got back in line, and stopped/apologized when accidents happen....
Also in Brooklyn nobody dares to hit newbies that struggle: alot of gunplay over there, so the veterans help newbies alot....
Old 11-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Csaari77
I don't see anything wrong with what he said. This is a hobby that is very hard to be competitive in. It takes time and patience and people that are new need to understand that. Too many new people show up at the track after spending money on the latest gear and think they are going to win races right away. Unfortunately, they usually get their a$$'s handed to them, get discouraged, and never come back.

As far as your comment about him getting punched in the face for insulting America, it was uncalled for. He is correct that we live in a society that demands instant gratification, so how is that an insult on America?
Sure thing...and onroad will continue to decline. Now I think it's easy to see why. Oh and America bashing will get you dropped...sorry, that's the way it is. So, nobody supports beginner classes and everyone is fine with vets sandbagging stock. Gotcha. I'll continue to do stuff that's fun and laugh as onroad dies.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Sure thing...and onroad will continue to decline. Now I think it's easy to see why. Oh and America bashing will get you dropped...sorry, that's the way it is. So, nobody supports beginner classes and everyone is fine with vets sandbagging stock. Gotcha. I'll continue to do stuff that's fun and laugh as onroad dies.
You love America and hate on-road... yeah, we get it. No one cares.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
You love America and hate on-road... yeah, we get it. No one cares.
Don't hate onroad, hate the attitude of most racers at the track...which has also been shown right here in this thread. But yeah, don't care...that's fine with me. Nothing changes, and onroad dies...you all make your own choices.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

That's funny, this thread was pretty good and was producing a great dialog until you got your Stars and Stripes undies in a bunch. Do us all a favor and go troll the crawler forum.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Regional Moderator

Lighten up, Francis. Most newbies that run a RTR truck in the backyard don't realize how hard it is to be good at on-road. They want to race their "70mph+" Traxxas vehicle, right up until they wad it up in the first turn. Then they complain that it is too hard, after investing all of one day at the track. They then go back to Forza on their XBox. It's easier to press Reset when they crash, instead of wrenching on an on-road RC car.

You do realize that stock today is faster than modified was just a few years ago? Maybe that's why veterans are sticking to "stock".
Old 11-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Don't think I said anything about banning anyone but you go there big guy. Just look at all the comments...no wonder nobody wants to come to the track. The idea seems to be...everyone should just realize they suck and get over it. They shouldn't have practice times or classes for new people...they should just suck it up and pull over so they get smoked. Yeah, that really fosters growth and friendships. Nice to see that attitude come out so readily with every one of you here. Really just proves my point. You all are the reason onroad is dying.

Last edited by Cpt.America; 11-18-2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: edited offensive language quote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.