Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Got the Smokem conversion in today we'll see how it works out on the track. Vincent from smokem said it makes the car transition from left to right a lot better and also more corner speed.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF417-image.jpg  
Old 09-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Typeone
Got the Smokem conversion in today we'll see how it works out on the track. Vincent from smokem said it makes the car transition from left to right a lot better and also more corner speed.
awesome, mine's in the mail. should work well with my FX chassis i hope. let us know how you find it and any setup changes you made because of it.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by veecee
I love how the interview borrows blocks of text from the smokem website, their redrc press release and emails. Nice work fella!
It is basically the same type of conversion as the Smokem so in my opion it's pretty normal that the discription is more or less the same. The conversion is looking good and I like how the capturing of the layshaft bearings is kept as original. With the Smokem conversion you need get the whole bulkhead off to get the layshaft out. For even more flex you can use the Sepes conversion with the Kentech Worlds Mod, which gives an extra tuning option.

With the Sepes conversion a little bit more expensive than the Smokem conversion, it's a close call on which one delivers more 'Bang for the buck'.

Still strange that the 418 conversion is mentioned as I doubt that the original car is already tested by Sepes Racing Products.

Maybe Chris can comment on this?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:16 PM
CL
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

So do we have to drill 2 holes near the motor mount for the Smokem conversion to fit a standard 417/X chassis?
Old 09-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Robkitetop
The conversion is looking good and I like how the capturing of the layshaft bearings is kept as original. With the Smokem conversion you need get the whole bulkhead off to get the layshaft out. For even more flex you can use the Sepes conversion with the Kentech Worlds Mod, which gives an extra tuning option
That defeats half the purpose of the new style top deck and motor mount. With the screws over the layshaft the rear can't flex enough, but remove all the screws from the motor mount screw the flex point moves too far back.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

I think you might have to cause there's pegs for the motor mount just like the TRF flaoting servo mount which cause it to not move. The V5 chassis and Smokem chassis have the holes already to mount.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:53 PM
CL
Tech Fanatic

I think you might have to cause there's pegs for the motor mount just like the TRF flaoting servo mount which cause it to not move. The V5 chassis and Smokem chassis have the holes already to mount.
Yeah, that's what I figured.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I am intrigued to see how the smokem chassis does. I just got done with a weekend at a new track in SD with a V5 and the kentech mod and was alright... I will have the smokem before the next round and will be able to throw it on the car before.

What setup changes are people typically doing when switching over to the raceberry chassis?
Old 09-10-2013, 11:13 PM
Tech Master

Question Jay on your set that you did for WCRCR with a 17.5 how did u like that set up and did u do any changes to that setup to improve it? Also how did the car handle with no spacers under the suspension mounts?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by CraigM
That defeats half the purpose of the new style top deck and motor mount. With the screws over the layshaft the rear can't flex enough, but remove all the screws from the motor mount screw the flex point moves too far back.
How is this different than the Smokem conversion? With the Kentech mod you only remove the screws of the layshaft. The Sepes conversion has the single post attached to the top deck just like the Smokem. So if you use the Sepes conversion (motormount and top deck) with the Kentech mod you get the same configuration.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:00 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by OnRDPassion
What setup changes are people typically doing when switching over to the raceberry chassis?
Just a longer rear wheelbase because the motor is further back with the Smokem V7 compared to the RB

Originally Posted by Robkitetop
How is this different than the Smokem conversion? With the Kentech mod you only remove the screws of the layshaft. The Sepes conversion has the single post attached to the top deck just like the Smokem. So if you use the Sepes conversion (motormount and top deck) with the Kentech mod you get the same configuration.
Kentech mod has no screws in the motor mount so the flex point is more or less in the middle of the car

Smokem conversion has only 1 top deck screw in the motor mount at the front which moves the flex point forward, but also lets the top deck to flex freely above and behind the layshaft like yokomo/raceberry

Sepes conversion (like 417) can't do that configuration easily, either it will be just like kentechs mod with the flex completely in the center or it will be like a standard 417 with the rear end very stiff

The best of all worlds is the 418, it has a captured layshaft so you can run it like the yoke/RB but also has screw holes over the layshaft to stiffen up the rear end if the track demands that
Old 09-11-2013, 03:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by CraigM
Smokem conversion has only 1 top deck screw in the motor mount at the front which moves the flex point forward, but also lets the top deck to flex freely above and behind the layshaft like yokomo/raceberry

Sepes conversion (like 417) can't do that configuration easily, either it will be just like kentechs mod with the flex completely in the center or it will be like a standard 417 with the rear end very stiff
The Sepes conversion has the same single top deck screw in the motor mount as the Smokem conversion, you just have to put a spacer between the top deck and this front post to raise the top deck a little and execute the kentech conversion to have the same flex point as the Smokem conversion.

This is the stock Sepes configuration where you can see the single post:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

This is the Smokem conversion which is the same configuration only with kentech mod build into the design:

http://www.redrc.net/2013/08/smokem-...v7-conversion/

Just sharing the right information as I think both conversions can work great with the 417 chassis.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Question Jay on your set that you did for WCRCR with a 17.5 how did u like that set up and did u do any changes to that setup to improve it? Also how did the car handle with no spacers under the suspension mounts?
On my WCRCR setup I liked it quite a bit for 17.5 as it carried quite of corner speed. It was definitely a little bit on the twitchy side which caused the rear end to break loose to what I did was dial a little of the steering out by going from 6 to 5 on the front droop and then raising the front inner camber links 1mm. When I removed the rear spacers under the suspension mounts it made the rear end too planted and cause a little bit of a push.

Right now I am running the V5 with the Kentech mod for giving the car more flex and like it a lot more as it suits my driving style more. and quite a bit different of a set-up as I have been running a lot at outdoor asphalt tracks.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by veecee
I love how the interview borrows blocks of text from the smokem website, their redrc press release and emails. Nice work fella!
I did the email interview with Chris and posted the answers, can you show me any of the info about him etc on the Facebook site? or are you implying that I made it up?
If the descriptions for the kit share any similarities with other text its nowt to do with me, but as has been mentioned the conversions are similar (although the devil is in the detail with racing) so that explains why the wording is similar.

The cool thing is that there is a seasoned racer who is also a product designer and he is making a range of new parts for the cars we race contributing to our hobby, you are welcome to help contribute as well

I am looking forward to seeing what the conversion is like on the track, I am a fan of all these new parts, keeps it interesting seeing the Raceberry, Smokem etc but its always good to have more people throwing their ideas into the mix.

Last edited by Qatmix; 09-11-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Qatmix
Just for your information, I did the interview with Chris and posted the answers, if it has similarities with other text its nowt to do with me but the conversions are similar (although the devil is in the detail with racing) so that explains why the wording is similar. I just posted what I was sent. I was just helping raise the profile of a new guy building and contributing to our racing scene, and I am looking forward to seeing what the conversion is like on the track.
Good have him start working on a TB04pro chassis conversion!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.