On-road Midwest Series

Old 08-27-2013, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

I believe he is referring to the cost. Lets face it, these "toy" cars aren't cheap.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
On the travel I get it... because I'm one that does not travel because of money and job issues... I would like to, but I don't...
This one statement sums up the issue with this taking off the ground completely. Speaking as someone whos has been helping run a series in our area for 10 years now this is big part of the problem. People do not travel like in years past. Economy, jobs and time are all factors more so than any format or class. You need to have people that are willing to travel from each track to the other tracks in the series. You will end up with a core group of die hard racers but to keep it sustained its the real challenge. Another core issue with a series is that you have 2 groups of racers to pull from. Casual racers and hard core racers....both like to race but the casual racers are not looking to go to more than a 1 day race or travel more than 1 hour from home....the hard core guys will do whatever it takes to race. Pleasing both is a struggle this format alone might put off some hard core racers..distance will put off the casual racers. Look at the AA series all of the tracks were in a 2 hour radius yet each track had racers that only went to a race at their local track and did not travel. Its a thankless job best of luck in getting this to take off. Anything that helps racing and local tracks is great!!!
Old 08-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
This one statement sums up the issue with this taking off the ground completely. Speaking as someone whos has been helping run a series in our area for 10 years now this is big part of the problem. People do not travel like in years past. Economy, jobs and time are all factors more so than any format or class. You need to have people that are willing to travel from each track to the other tracks in the series. You will end up with a core group of die hard racers but to keep it sustained its the real challenge. Another core issue with a series is that you have 2 groups of racers to pull from. Casual racers and hard core racers....both like to race but the casual racers are not looking to go to more than a 1 day race or travel more than 1 hour from home....the hard core guys will do whatever it takes to race. Pleasing both is a struggle this format alone might put off some hard core racers..distance will put off the casual racers. Look at the AA series all of the tracks were in a 2 hour radius yet each track had racers that only went to a race at their local track and did not travel. Its a thankless job best of luck in getting this to take off. Anything that helps racing and local tracks is great!!!
What this guy said.

Another thing to consider is 'market saturation'. You have to consider other activities in your area, i.e. other racing series, when starting a new venture. There is already the AA series for outdoor, the Hurricane series for indoor, the UF1 Midwest series for F1. All of these take place entirely or in part in your market area. Scheduling and attendance are challenging with multiple options for racers.

Just my thoughts, take them for what you will.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

As much as some hate Short Course..its done well for offroad.

USGT/VTA/TC is still essentially the same platform. There is no equivelent to SC in onroad. Basically a fun, easy to drive/set up, and rarely breaks. Plus I can mess with in my yard or a park. I always thought some type of cheaper Rally style car would be the answer.

I like both on and offroad, but realize onroad at a weekly club level is just not like what it used to be for many reasons. Because of that I keep a SC, buggy, F1, TC or whatever ready to roll at any time.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

As much as some hate Nexus.........that is all. :P JK!
Old 08-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Euge
As much as some hate Nexus.........that is all. :P JK!
shadap.

you still made about the .0000001 victory at Chicagoland Raceway in Tinley Park?! Best race EVER! LOL
Old 08-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, not to turn this into an onroad vs offroad debate, but I still don't understand how offroad has always thrived despite all the cars and classes in onroad.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

You can safely run an offroad vehicle almost anywhere.

I'd never think of taking a $$$ touring car out on the street in front of the house. Our onroad stuff sits here unused if we aren't at a (prepared) track.

For the cost, offroad stuff is far more flexible.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Nexus
shadap.

you still made about the .0000001 victory at Chicagoland Raceway in Tinley Park?! Best race EVER! LOL
You may have Tinley Park, but I am a winner in life. At least that's what my mom told me!
Old 08-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nexus
As much as some hate Short Course..its done well for offroad.

USGT/VTA/TC is still essentially the same platform. There is no equivelent to SC in onroad. Basically a fun, easy to drive/set up, and rarely breaks. Plus I can mess with in my yard or a park. I always thought some type of cheaper Rally style car would be the answer.

I like both on and offroad, but realize onroad at a weekly club level is just not like what it used to be for many reasons. Because of that I keep a SC, buggy, F1, TC or whatever ready to roll at any time.
Nexus- your sct comparison is a valid point. When we had SCT running during onroad days, while popular, was not well received, in general, by the on-road crowd at all. Overtime,both sides ended up with much lower participation overall......., however, there are places where they both play together successfully.

This is not the place for that discussion, as Barry is looking to do something very different from what I can see.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

I can tell I'm off the series, as not looking to do it...

But I still feel the format is a BIG issue for on-road....

I would like to see both groups (off-road and on-road) work together... So how do we do this so that we increase the participation?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:58 PM
Tech Champion

Format never bothered me much.

Offroad is just more atttactive to the masses and mainstream. With onroad we essentially drive the same.chassis regardless of the class. Wgt never caught on and in many ways kills itself with foam tires.

F1 w/ rubber tires seems to be the only class lately having growth and sustainability. UF1 is pretty big. I know some tracks out West have bigger F1 turnouts than 17.5 TC on a weekly basis. I talk to many shop/track owners across the US. Everyone seems to agree that offroad is bigger, buthas yet to find an answer on how to grow.

At least with F1 you have several brands to choose from, tires last a long time, and they are way more durable. I think somem people new and old like them because they can mimic their favorite real F1 racer.

I have yet to find a LTZ or Mazda6 pro team worth liking. Lol

Not that I feel F1 is a savior, but it has put down some solid roots. Another thing I'd do is make "stock" 25.5...that's a whole other topic as well.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Tech Adept

I think VTA is starting to grow, at least here in Green Bay it is.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

My .02 is that I am currently overloaded with options... I can pick any given weekend and choose whether I want to do offroad / Onroad in multiple directions. Oh wait, do I want to do electric or nitro? Granted, nitro is still a minority, there are still guys doing it.. Midwest nitro series, Midwest electric series, Midwest Series, Asphalt Assault, those are just the traveling series that take a lot of racers away from the club scene...

What offroad has, is a set class list: 1/10 buggy and SC are the two biggest classes. Mod or stock, no big deal same tires, body, different motor, which is more appealing IMO.

On road classes I feel are region specific in popularity, adding confusion. There are these motor combos: Brushed (Westgate), 25.5 (VTA), 21.5 (Mini, F1, USGT), 17.5 (TC) , 10.5t (Leisure) mod (TC)... Bodies: Mini, VTA, USGT, TC, F1... Tires: Mini, VTA, USGT, and Sedan tires.... So really, I don't know exactly what will be run when I get there, or what setup to work on leading up to a race...

Offroad: 1:10 2wd stock/mod buggy, and stock SC is like universal language at all these offroad tracks... Onroad needs this language. VTA is like that, but again, there's too much confusion whether the guy should switch his chassis over, especially if he doesn't like the speed of VTA...
Old 10-03-2013, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kevin K
Wouldn't you consider incorporating Hurricane series again into something like this and make it a midwest championship. Oh and there would be Mod TC.

Originally Posted by Rick Vessell
What this guy said.

Another thing to consider is 'market saturation'. You have to consider other activities in your area, i.e. other racing series, when starting a new venture. There is already the AA series for outdoor, the Hurricane series for indoor, the UF1 Midwest series for F1. All of these take place entirely or in part in your market area. Scheduling and attendance are challenging with multiple options for racers.

Just my thoughts, take them for what you will.
While I fully agree about the series lets stop and ask the people who run the AA series.....Will there be a 2014 from everyone I have talked to it doesn't seem positive. In order to strive as much as it sucks the hobby shops will have to work together to make a series happen. After this year and last year I wouldn't be suprised to hear there is no AA. So to have something like this take over for outdoor season would be cool. Kick off on Carpet at RMR, Gate, Knapps, Summit, or Eric's maybe two races. Then run asphalt portion LH, Dayton, Whatever fairgrounds the region 5 race was on. Then finish races at RMR, Gate, Knapps, Eric's, or Summit

7 races total with x throw aways. You could keep it even more midwest and forget Ohio or only go to Dayton etc. There are plenty of options for tracks and I'm sure you could get track owners to sign on. You could even condense it to IL, IN, MI and still get a full series. Just using dedicated tracks. I love me some asphalt but there doesn't need to be 3 races you can set it up as you please. They would just need to be one day more than likely Saturday races due to travel.