Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New York - where to start.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 09:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by Killa G
yeah I run at Deer park too. Very good comp. KB what do you drive? I am with team Yokomo.
I drive a Nitro TC3.

I haven't been down there in about 3 weeks because my Sundays have been really busy. I'm hoping to go a few more times before the weather gets to cold and the track is not setup anymore.

Last time I was there, I blew up my K_Factory Centax clutch after 3 tanks. Took me a while to get the parts to fix it. Its all fixed now. Just waiting for some free time to run it again.

Last edited by kb4343; 10-14-2004 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:01 AM
Tech Initiate

sn4il,

You're welcome to join us on Sunday mornings at Cunningham Park in Queens (right over the Throggs Neck Bridge). We have a permit for a complete parking lot and the racing is casual (bashing, not crashing!) and we usually setup a "track" with fire hoses. Like I said, it's casual, no pressure and everyone is willing to help - especially a newbie. Check our calendar on our website: www.queensunitedrc.com

For parts, your best bet is Bruckner Hobbies in the Bronx. They stock most 710 parts and Tom Jr, (at the Westchester store) runs a 710 (successfully!) and he's usually willing to spend time explaining things - I know because he was very helpful back when I got started with a Serpent Impulse Pro! Their website is: www.brucknerhobbies.com

Good luck!
Old 11-17-2004, 03:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

hey guys,
i was told by a guy at my local hobby shop to come down to dp train station. (Larrys hobby shop) The guy has a son who goes with him. I went about 3 weeks ago to watch b/c i had soccer and not enough time to race. Its really cool there and im looking forward to racing there soon. Do you guys race there in the summer? BTW I have a hpi nitro rs4 3 with a wasp .12 se-ps, my driving skills are decient, do you think my car can keep up with mugens, r-40, serpents and ntc-3's?
Thanks,
Don
Old 11-18-2004, 05:35 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by nitroracer20
hey guys,
i was told by a guy at my local hobby shop to come down to dp train station. (Larrys hobby shop) The guy has a son who goes with him. I went about 3 weeks ago to watch b/c i had soccer and not enough time to race. Its really cool there and im looking forward to racing there soon. Do you guys race there in the summer? BTW I have a hpi nitro rs4 3 with a wasp .12 se-ps, my driving skills are decient, do you think my car can keep up with mugens, r-40, serpents and ntc-3's?
Thanks,
Don
I'm pretty sure they start setting up the track in early spring, once all the ice and snow is off the ground.

Can your car keep up with the others? Well.....that depends on many variables. Which engine the others are running, engine tuning skills, chassis tuning skills and most of all DRIVING SKILLS.

Don't worry so much about keeping up with the others. Just go out and have a good time!
Old 11-18-2004, 12:02 PM
Tech Regular

ya im going to try to. Do you race there?
Thanks for the response
Old 11-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by kb4343
I'm pretty sure they start setting up the track in early spring, once all the ice and snow is off the ground.

Can your car keep up with the others? Well.....that depends on many variables. Which engine the others are running, engine tuning skills, chassis tuning skills and most of all DRIVING SKILLS.

Don't worry so much about keeping up with the others. Just go out and have a good time!

Exactly..... You could have the fastest car and not have the ability to use it....
Old 11-18-2004, 01:59 PM
Tech Regular

thats true. I cant wait to go race in the spring. Its getting pretty cold and Ive been taking my cars apart and cleaning them for when it gets warm and time to drive again.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:09 AM
Tech Initiate

ya im going to try to. Do you race there?
Thanks for the response
I raced there about 5 times last summer. I have a pretty busy schedule on the weekends so its tough for me to get out and PLAY!

When I did race, I had a great time. Just a word of advice though. Make sure you have plenty of spare parts on hand. The closest hobby shop to the track is closed on Sunday's, so if you break, your day is done. It happened to me 3 out of the 5 times I went. One of the times I only got two tanks through my NTC3 and blew my Centax clutch. DAY OVER!

Maybe I'll see you there next spring.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:07 AM
Tech Elite

My nitro cars are shelved till at least March.... I'm too busy with keeping my electrics going for the winter....
Old 11-23-2004, 03:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Queens, NY

If you don't mind the (short) trip to Queens, try Queens United RC in Cunningham Park. Throggs Neck Bridge to Clearview to Union Turnpike. Left on Union then left on Francis Lewis Boulevard. Entrance to rear of park in 100 feet, 2nd Parking Lot.
Good people, very helpful, "casual" organized racing, Parking Lot Permit (no hassles!). We'll continue to race as long as the weather holds up...

Visit our web-site for details: www.QueensUnitedRc.com

Hope to see you there,
Marc
Old 11-25-2004, 05:37 PM
Tech Regular

Any of you guys going racing sunday at Deer Park? Dunno how the weather is going to be.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Any of you guys going racing sunday at Deer Park? Dunno how the weather is going to be.
Nope...Not me. My NTC3 is packed up for the winter. Now its SAVAGE TIME!!
Old 11-26-2004, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Nope... It's indoor electric season.... Nitro's don't come out till it warms up again.... But my MGT is ready for the snow.....
Old 12-07-2004, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

Default Re: Queens, NY

Originally posted by MarcTroy
If you don't mind the (short) trip to Queens, try Queens United RC in Cunningham Park. Throggs Neck Bridge to Clearview to Union Turnpike. Left on Union then left on Francis Lewis Boulevard. Entrance to rear of park in 100 feet, 2nd Parking Lot.
Good people, very helpful, "casual" organized racing, Parking Lot Permit (no hassles!). We'll continue to race as long as the weather holds up...

Visit our web-site for details: www.QueensUnitedRc.com

Hope to see you there,
Marc
Last I heard those guys lost their permit at the end of the season. something about charging fees on public property or something to that effect.

went to check it out once apon a time and found the lot surface to be a bit on the rough side for 1/10 touring cars, I'd never run my R40 in there but the savage would have no problem dealing with the ruts in the lot.

Lot of nice guys hang out there and the atmosphere is great for newbie's or anyone looking for a low stress afternoon. But if you want to get into racing better hit the track sooner rather then later.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Just to set the record straight:

Queens United RC didn't lose our park permit, it expired (as it has every year) and we have applied for a new one and expect it to be approved again. Since it's against the rules, one of the things that we are very careful about is that no money what-so-ever is exchanged at the park. We even squashed the idea of a season opening "Swap Meet" at the park since the possibility of money changing hands there would be greatly increased and would jepordize our permit.

I agree that the surface is "kinda rough" and we have officially requesting that the lot be re-surfaced. We do, however, select the best area to set up our "track" for touring cars, clean it before we run and I've never had a problem with either my NTC3 or my Serpent and it's certainly not a problem when I run my Savage or my Revo.

As one member put it: "Anyone who comes to the park is always welcome to join the fun, and most do. Whether it's by running in circles or chasing one another in the park on a makeshift track.

The willingness of the majority of the members to help one another as well as strangers wanting to run their RC's with us will always out weigh the negative aspects. I personally try to help a new face at the park, just as you and most do. Negativity pops and fizzles, positive attitude will always prevail.

Competition is nice at organized races, but not too many tracks ar accessable for the average person. Most tracks are at least an hour drive. Even those that go to the tracks for the first time have a hard time adjusting and learning the car. At least within the club, there are a few knowledgeable members that do race and can point them in the right direction on tuning the car's engine as well as suspension."

Like I said in my previous post, it's "casual racing" but it's mostly about having fun and we certainly do that...

Feel free to come back again in the Spring with your friends and enjoy yourself and, please, seek me out and I'll gladly introduce you to the other members...

Looking forward to meeting you,
Marc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.