Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2 >

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

View Poll Results: what's your tire choice?
Protoform
30.67%
HPI
69.33%
Voters: 150. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree4318Likes

U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2

Old 04-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Do these have a crawler mode? Sounds like a crawler ESC setting as those guys don't use delay between forward and backwards.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommy R
Well, I just did a test on the bench and I can go from throttle to brake to throttle with no delay whatsoever. I even tried partial throttle and brake positions and had the same results. So is it something that only happens under load?

Here's a thought. My Savox 1257 is a known power hog. Usually when I get this delay it's entering a corner. I wonder if maybe the ESC is browning out when braking and turning simultaneously? I've got a glitch buster. Maybe I'll install that for Sunday's race to see if that helps any....
Yeah try the glitch buster next
Old 04-23-2013, 02:11 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Savox are known to cause ESC glitches/power drops

When I first started VTA I thought my esc was doing this, turned out I just wasn't giving enough throttle for the motor rpm to be faster than the corner speed due to the LOW power of the 25.5
Old 04-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mera'din
Do these have a crawler mode? Sounds like a crawler ESC setting as those guys don't use delay between forward and backwards.
Not sure. We crawlers definitely don't use any kind of delay, that's for sure. But I'm not actively engaging reverse. It's possible that I'm modulating the brakes entering a corner and it's possible that action is making the ESC interpret it as an engagement of reverse. I really don't think that's the case. Usually, when I apply the brakes, I apply them in one motion and then roll off the brakes....not on/off/on/off the brakes. Hopefully that make sense.

Originally Posted by hyujmn
Yeah try the glitch buster next
Yep, I will. Hopeful that's the issue here.

Originally Posted by JayL
Savox are known to cause ESC glitches/power drops

When I first started VTA I thought my esc was doing this, turned out I just wasn't giving enough throttle for the motor rpm to be faster than the corner speed due to the LOW power of the 25.5
Yeah, the Savox servos are known to do that. I'll find out this weekend after I install the glitch buster. The issue definitely isn't the lack of power (not that these motors have much power).
Old 04-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tommy R
Not sure. We crawlers definitely don't use any kind of delay, that's for sure. But I'm not actively engaging reverse. It's possible that I'm modulating the brakes entering a corner and it's possible that action is making the ESC interpret it as an engagement of reverse. I really don't think that's the case. Usually, when I apply the brakes, I apply them in one motion and then roll off the brakes....not on/off/on/off the brakes. Hopefully that make sense.
Yup, I know when I have trouble with my esc is it cause I programmed the throttle range wrong on the ESC, have it in the wrong mode, or have bumped my throttle trim on the radio.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

open up the deadband@neutral
Old 04-24-2013, 06:34 PM
Tech Master

Anyone know if tank power lipos are any good?
Old 04-25-2013, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Can you tell me what you notice when you have max drive set high? My understanding based on the manual is that it applies throttle quicker. Does that make it more difficult to apply the throttle smoothly?

Dave

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
AE TC6
Novak GTB2 Xdrive LP max drive no drag brake
Novak Ballastic 25.5 38 deg timming w/ LRP fan
FDR 3.69
Robinson 96 spur
Trinity 52 pinion
AE 35 wt oil front
AE 30 wt oil rear
RSD yellow springs front
RSD teal springs rear
AE 40 wt oil rear gear diff
-1 deg camber F/R
Full sauce rear tires
1/2 sauce front tires
Futaba 9551 servo
RSD sway bar collars F/R
1mm washer in front wheels
5mm ride front
5.5mm ride rear
2mm droop F/R

the rest is manual build setup
Old 04-25-2013, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default ESC

Anybody using he Speedpassion Reventon Stock Club ESC in VTA?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Tech Addict

Default ride height adjustment

going from carpet to asphalt should i change my ride height from vta rules min height of 5mm to higher height to keep the chassis from rubbing the asphalt ?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigtee
going from carpet to asphalt should i change my ride height from vta rules min height of 5mm to higher height to keep the chassis from rubbing the asphalt ?
Unless you are running on concrete or a very well prepared surface, yes i would raise it up.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigtee
I run 5mm on asphalt, but don't have issues with rubbing the chassis or body. Although, be aware there may be bumps or dips on the track that may require a ride height change.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:57 PM
Tech Elite

If you are concerned about the bottom of your chassis getting all scratched up, you can put hockey stick tape on it too. You can buy it at some hobby shops. Its the stuff the boat guys use to seal their hatches. Its good stuff. Really thick and transparent. Some sporting goods stores carry it too if hockey is played in your area. It does add a little weight since its thick. Not enough to matter most of the time, but if you are die hard about staying at 1500 grams...
Attached Thumbnails U.S. Vintage Trans-Am Racing Part 2-hockeytape.jpg  
Old 04-28-2013, 10:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by IndyHobbies.com
If you are concerned about the bottom of your chassis getting all scratched up, you can put hockey stick tape on it too. You can buy it at some hobby shops. Its the stuff the boat guys use to seal their hatches. Its good stuff. Really thick and transparent. Some sporting goods stores carry it too if hockey is played in your area. It does add a little weight since its thick. Not enough to matter most of the time, but if you are die hard about staying at 1500 grams...
+1. Thanks for the pointer IndyHobbies. I am going to buy a roll.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I would be warry of hockey style take as it can easily peel back. I use the Jconcepts Chassis protector sheets. very sticky does come off if you want it to but is thick enough to keep a carbon fiber chassis in perfect condition while running over stuff outside. Also run 6mm ride height for good flat surface but I have gone up to 8mm with no issues in the slower classes. the faster you go the more you can traction roll with a higher ride height

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.