Search
Like Tree33Likes

Sweep F1 tyres.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 01:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Well as was stated above...traditionally with the F104 we've done all we can to increase front grip even going with setups that would have been considered crazy back in the foam tire days and early rubber tire days. If these tires are designed to work better with a stock setup than Pits or Rides then probably a completely different setup is needed...one that maximizes rear grip instead of front.
Have you tried them? Or is this theory?
Old 04-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Tech Champion

Theory
Old 04-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
Yes,

Well ladies and gentlemen i spent 8 hours at the track trying to get them to work. Unfortunately i couldnt get them to be as quick as the "other " tires but I did get some useful information:

1) ALL rear tires need air gap via TC inserts ( for asphalt anyway), It was the only thing that i could do to even get them close to driveable at least for me.
2) front tires simply have too much bite, even the hard ones, so maybe stuffing an offroad insert them to create less traction?
This is Ryan Lee from Sweep HQ.
I also faced to the same issue when I tested the Sweep F1 first time.
I couldn't drive my car at all because it lost the rear traction suddenly as soon as I steer.

this is not because of front grip, but because of rear.

if you trimmed the inner gluing lips off, the rear tire's sidewall started working properly.
This modification will make your tire assembly easier too.

With this modification and changes on the car's set up, I think there are still people who want 'less' front grip.

so we are considering making Super Hard compound for front tires.

White insert for the front tire was not intended by us, it was our mistake! appologies..

As for front tires inner gluing lips, they will make the sidewall harder. I didn't try to cut them off because I think they should be there to leave the sidewall harder. Same idea goes to the insert too. yes their wider width and the sticky tapes make difficult to mount the tire over the insert. but once you get used to it, you will find it's not that difficult.
It's a good idea trimming minimum amount of sticky area which you don't want to cover the wheels gluing bead. I think this wouldn't make the sidewall too soft.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Well I tried mine on a med bite carpet and got them to be at least drivable.

First off I did remove the inner gluing bead as indicated and used super soft rears with the white inserts. For the fronts I only had mediums and mounted one set according to the directions with grey inserts and did the other pair with tamiya 104 front inserts to increase their firmness. I found the rear bite to be similar to the pardus tires. The only way I could get the fronts from instantly traction rolling any speed was to heavily ca the sidewall and carry the glue bead 1/8" over into the contact patch.

With the modded fronts and rears the car would still traction roll easily if pushed and lacked the forward bite of the shimuza tires, lap times were about .7s off the pit tires just a hare slower than the pardus.

I'll try them out on asphalt as soon as the outdoor season starts hear but
I am doubtful this generation will prove to be a shimuza competitor in any condition.

Mark
Old 04-14-2013, 04:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Today i was able to actually get around the track but had to go to some extreme inserts to get it to work.
On the front I cut up a pair of GT inserts and installed them around the rim AND still kept the white inserts, all on the hard fronts. This made them VERY stiff which equals less grip. On that note it seems to me that you would want the inserts on the fronts to be taped to the tire instead of the wheel to create less grip.
On the rear i installed PIT inserts on super soft and soaked them in Paragon the entire night!! I did not remove the inner lip because i had already cut the tire off once and didnt want to do it again!
After all of this i still had to turn my EPA down to around 50% but it was actually decent at the time on an unprepared loose track. I made a mistake by habit i paragon'd the front and that was a huge mistake, they were done at that point!

Ryan, you tested the tires on indoor asphalt right?
Old 04-15-2013, 07:21 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hello Good morning

Today is Monday Apr/15/2013 we will ship out replacement inserts to ppl who requested.

Please try our F1 tires with way it was intended first, before trying anything else.

Just like any other scale products we making, we will never stop thrive to get faster.

Thank you for the supports.

Team Sweep Racing USA.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

With all these impressions by the first customers I can't deny getting the feeling the customers are the first ones who ever drove these tires (like product testers). Sorry but it can't make sense to do this much mods to make the tires work
Old 04-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Tech Regular

Today i was able to actually get around the track but had to go to some extreme inserts to get it to work.
On the front I cut up a pair of GT inserts and installed them around the rim AND still kept the white inserts, all on the hard fronts. This made them VERY stiff which equals less grip. On that note it seems to me that you would want the inserts on the fronts to be taped to the tire instead of the wheel to create less grip.
On the rear i installed PIT inserts on super soft and soaked them in Paragon the entire night!! I did not remove the inner lip because i had already cut the tire off once and didnt want to do it again!
After all of this i still had to turn my EPA down to around 50% but it was actually decent at the time on an unprepared loose track. I made a mistake by habit i paragon'd the front and that was a huge mistake, they were done at that point!

Ryan, you tested the tires on indoor asphalt right?

Markus, yes I tested on indoor and outdoor asphalt.

when the car started to turn over, I switched to one rank harder compound for rear tires and I get lowered my car by 0.5mm.

I felt the turn over issue is more related to the rear tire than the front for F1 car.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SweepRacingUSA
Today is Monday Apr/15/2013 we will ship out replacement inserts to ppl who requested.
Thanks for the update(s).

Any tips on how to remove the old tires w/o ruining them to replace the inserts ?
Old 04-16-2013, 08:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by macavant
Thanks for the update(s).

Any tips on how to remove the old tires w/o ruining them to replace the inserts ?
VERY CAREFULLY slice the backside off of the wheel with a razor blade OR get some acetone and let the wheels soak in the vapors overnight.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Tech Regular

VERY CAREFULLY slice the backside off of the wheel with a razor blade OR get some acetone and let the wheels soak in the vapors overnight.
ABS wheel will be melt down with Acetone.
Nylon wheel is fine.
Tamiya uses ABS material so you can't use Acetone for the wheel.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:23 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wtcc
With all these impressions by the first customers I can't deny getting the feeling the customers are the first ones who ever drove these tires (like product testers). Sorry but it can't make sense to do this much mods to make the tires work
It costs us more time and Money that way. we just had a simple miscommunication between HQ to the US office. which costing to fix.

but yet like we mentioned earlier, real world racing always bring us new task to work on. until we purchase a Super simulator for the RC cars, this can be happened anytime to anybody.

Again we apologize for the inconvenience.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:03 PM
Tech Addict

Default New inserts installed

Thanks Marcus - the razor blade tip worked out.

It was a PITA to get around the tire, remove the old insert and put in the new one. I managed to tear a bit of the sidewall - now repaired by CA glue. The new white inserts sent by SWEEP are much softer and looks to allow more flex, and moves more air than the original grey inserts. SWEEP did include some glue with the inserts and sent it priority mail - thumbs up to that. Quick tip to others that will do the swap; you can replace the inserts w/o removing the entire tire off the rim. The tire is flexible enough to be inverted (while glued to the front side of the rim), it allows for the insert to be removed & surface cleaned - then reinstall new inserts. Be careful in flipping the tire back around to prevent tearing some parts of the sidewall.

Will post results once I get some track time. The initial outing with the grey inserts were OK, but required lots of traction compound to be useful and driveable.(compared to a set of scrubbed Pits and Tamiya tires) Hoping that the new inserts will work better. I'm a fan of the EXP series for my TC - hoping these would pan out just the same.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by macavant
Thanks Marcus - the razor blade tip worked out.

It was a PITA to get around the tire, remove the old insert and put in the new one. I managed to tear a bit of the sidewall - now repaired by CA glue. The new white inserts sent by SWEEP are much softer and looks to allow more flex, and moves more air than the original grey inserts. SWEEP did include some glue with the inserts and sent it priority mail - thumbs up to that. Quick tip to others that will do the swap; you can replace the inserts w/o removing the entire tire off the rim. The tire is flexible enough to be inverted (while glued to the front side of the rim), it allows for the insert to be removed & surface cleaned - then reinstall new inserts. Be careful in flipping the tire back around to prevent tearing some parts of the sidewall.

Will post results once I get some track time. The initial outing with the grey inserts were OK, but required lots of traction compound to be useful and driveable.(compared to a set of scrubbed Pits and Tamiya tires) Hoping that the new inserts will work better. I'm a fan of the EXP series for my TC - hoping these would pan out just the same.
grey rear inserts?
Old 04-21-2013, 09:32 PM
Tech Addict

grey rear inserts?
The new ones sent to me were white inserts.
My original package had all grey inserts F&R, just different widths.
This was the original pkg:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.