Search

Setup info needed for Kyosho KF01 nitro f1

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 06:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Exceed tires

Originally Posted by Racer-rich
Hi Marty,

Where do you get your exceed RC tires from?

Thanks,
-Rich
Here you go...

http://www.rc-mushroom.com/
Old 02-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Xceed rc tires

Originally Posted by momoyluds
Thanks Marty,
I will try them. Are you using the med fronts and the soft rears?

-Rich
Old 02-14-2013, 02:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Exceed RC, F103 foams hard front and soft rear
Old 02-14-2013, 10:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by fritzzz
Exceed RC, F103 foams hard front and soft rear
Thanks Fritzzz,
-Rich
Old 02-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi,
I've ordered a kf01, can't wait for it to arrive! I'll probably get the 2 speed tranny, tuned pipe and ball diff. I'm just wondering how 'worth it' these upgrades are? Did others notice a big performance improvement with them?
Also, how come there isn't a pull/roto start feature on them? Is it possible to fit a roto start?
Old 02-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

I just bought one too - I got the same options you listed above. Got the two speed as I think the sound of changing will add to the scale look as will the shiney tuned pipe;-)
Old 02-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jimijonjames
Hi,
I've ordered a kf01, can't wait for it to arrive! I'll probably get the 2 speed tranny, tuned pipe and ball diff. I'm just wondering how 'worth it' these upgrades are? Did others notice a big performance improvement with them?
Also, how come there isn't a pull/roto start feature on them? Is it possible to fit a roto start?
Hi,
I am now racing the KF01 locally and I love the car! The options that you listed definitely improve performance on the track. You might want to consider also getting the stainless steel front king pins as well as they are much smoother then the kit version and will allow the front suspension to work much better.

The kit was design to be raced and so there was no need for a pull start or a roto start. I do not think that you will be able to add either of these as the motor is custom for Kyosho and is a unique size. However, there is a starter box made for this car and it is only $35 from Bonzaihobby.
Here is the link to the starter box:

http://banzaihobby.com/radio-control...rter-box-f-01r

Have fun!
-Rich
Old 02-19-2013, 04:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Upgrades...

Originally Posted by Racer-rich
Hi,
I am now racing the KF01 locally and I love the car! The options that you listed definitely improve performance on the track. You might want to consider also getting the stainless steel front king pins as well as they are much smoother then the kit version and will allow the front suspension to work much better.

The kit was design to be raced and so there was no need for a pull start or a roto start. I do not think that you will be able to add either of these as the motor is custom for Kyosho and is a unique size. However, there is a starter box made for this car and it is only $35 from Bonzaihobby.
Here is the link to the starter box:

http://banzaihobby.com/radio-control...rter-box-f-01r

Have fun!
-Rich

More than any engine, tranny upgrade I've done, the most impressive upgrade I've felt had to do with the tires and suspension. If I had to go back in time and give myself some advice it would this:

1. Foams, front hard, soft rear
2. Front and rear springs
3. Ride height spacers
4. Stainless kingpins
5. Rear bearing holder
6. Rear bulkhead
7. Ball diff

If you can't maintain speed through the turns, you're sunk...

Marty
Old 02-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys, I think I'll build it stock first then decide what upgrades to shell out for. Im definetly going to have to get some of those stickers as well, they're brilliant!
I have a possibly stupid question about the ball diff. I'm pretty sure I see how they work in general, but in the pictures of the ball diff for the kf01 it appears to have a long fixed shaft, so I don't see how the wheels travel at different speeds? Am I missing something?
Old 02-21-2013, 02:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've got a Q re starting.

If I get a 1/10th scale or bigger starter box will it still work OK?

Also, what about bump starters - any thoughts on those?
Old 02-21-2013, 05:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Ball diff

Originally Posted by jimijonjames
Thanks guys, I think I'll build it stock first then decide what upgrades to shell out for. Im definetly going to have to get some of those stickers as well, they're brilliant!
I have a possibly stupid question about the ball diff. I'm pretty sure I see how they work in general, but in the pictures of the ball diff for the kf01 it appears to have a long fixed shaft, so I don't see how the wheels travel at different speeds? Am I missing something?
Hi there,
Ok, the left wheel hub is fixed on the axle. The right wheel hub floats on the bearings on the rear belt pulley. The right wheel nut compresses the diff plate, tightening the nut, tightens the diff, and vice versa. Pretty ingenious actually, I believe the tamiya version is similar...

Hope that helps,

Marty
Old 02-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Starter box

I've got a Q re starting.

If I get a 1/10th scale or bigger starter box will it still work OK?

Also, what about bump starters - any thoughts on those?
Hi,
A bump starter is just another name for a starter box. The "bump" name comes from the act of bumping the car down onto the starter box to spin up the starter box's wheel as you push down on the glow plug heater to start the engine.
So yes, a 1/10th scale or bigger starter box will work, but you will have to be very careful about the starter's wheel matching up to the flywheel and the size of the starter wheel. Because if the starter wheel is too large it will not touch the engine flywheel when trying to start and just rub against the bottom of the chassis. This will make your life miserable. If you want to use a starter box that has a hinged top, check to make sure that the chassis will sit flat against the top of the starter box so that the starter wheel can reach the flywheel when trying to start the engine.

You could also try using an airplane engine starter setup but that would be a real pain in the "butt" as you will need three hands to start the engine. One hand to hold the car, one hand to hold the starter wheel and one more to play with the radio/throttle while trying to get the engine to fire. This is assuming that you have a twist on glow-plug heater so that your won't need that fourth hand.

The Kyosho starter box that I linked to above will also work most 1/10th scale cars with a engine that is in the same orientation as the KF01's. But I think that it will not have enough power to start an 1/8th scale car's engine.

Have fun,
-Rich
Old 02-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks, the bump starter that I was thinking about was the aeroplane one. I figured I could use the throttle trim to open it up a bit and then just need two hands. Looks like some more thinking to do!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Any comments on whether this starter box will work
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...itro_Car_.html

Dimensions: 375mm x 85mm x 130mm
Old 02-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Starter box

Any comments on whether this starter box will work
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...itro_Car_.html

Dimensions: 375mm x 85mm x 130mm
Hi,
That starter box is a little big but it could still work for you. The space between the cars rear wheels is only 110mm so the rear tires will be touching the box as you start. So you will have to be careful not to over rev the engine as to cause the wheels to spin while starting. The starter box's rubber wheel also looks to be a bit large in diameter and you may have to enlarge the flywheel opening to prevent the rubber wheel from rubbing the chassis and not hitting the flywheel. You will also need two stick batteries or a 12v battery/power supply to run the starter box. Most of the other starter boxes only require a single 7.4v stick battery to run. That is a great price though!

-Rich

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.