Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Associated TC4 >

Team Associated TC4

Like Tree298Likes

Team Associated TC4

Old 01-31-2013, 02:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I meant if Andy can't find tc3 parts, then converting it to a tc4 is the next best thing, but he can run the tc3 competitively for sure...... Whatever he does though, No Spec-R !!!!
Old 01-31-2013, 07:02 PM
Tech Master

Ahem and your argument was ?

I would choose a tc3 over a spec-r any day but when it comes to give responsible advice to a guy just starting in the class that's another story, especially if he's on a tight budget. The price of the parts necessary to update his car to "modern" standards and a decent level of reliability would almost equate the price of a brand new spec-r S1 . And he'll have to order said parts in several hobbyshops all over the internet. And in the end he'll still have a car with subpar shocks ( yes, I just said that) and much more fragile than a modern car. Seriously what kind of advice is that ?

PLEASE bertrand87 stop telling everyone the TC4 (or the novak ESC or motor or whatever) is the best and everyone should run one. Spend your money as you wish but don't give such bad advice without any rational argument.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:07 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by heretic
PLEASE bertrand87 stop telling everyone the TC4 (or the novak ESC or motor or whatever) is the best and everyone should run one. Spend your money as you wish but don't give such bad advice without any rational argument.
I agree. The only reason I am running a TC4 is the low budget class I run has to be a "bathtub" chassis. Otherwise I would've gone with a Spec S or Xray T3R.

If your class allows it, save your trouble, get a T3R.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 PM
Tech Champion

Well you won't find me in the SpecR or Xray forum telling people to get tc4's.... I don't think the mods would like it ! So I suggest you go back there and push your SpecR's and Xray !!!!! I am all within my rights here to side with the tc3 or tc4 here !!! Do not hijack this thread ! I don't hijack yours ! I am sure the newbie knows about your cars and will visit your thread if he so chooses, but don't make this thread about any other car than tc3/tc4 please......
Old 01-31-2013, 08:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by heretic
The price of the parts necessary to update his car to "modern" standards and a decent level of reliability would almost equate the price of a brand new spec-r S1 . And he'll have to order said parts in several hobbyshops all over the internet.
And what are these very expensive necessary parts ?? I dont have any on my TC3
All you really need is a fev cheap parts available at most local hobby shops ... check out a pic of my TC3 I posted ... nothing fancy or expensive

You criticize bertrandsv87 for doing the same thing YOU are doing .... posting over and over how great the spec-r is, but this is a TC4 thread
Old 01-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Tech Champion

I was specifically told by the mods to only post here about the tc4 and nowhere else... So I did ... Hopefully the same will apply to the other posters....
By the way, tc3/tc4 parts are so cheap and available that I've stopped stocking on parts: I have too many of them already, and the car does not wear them out.....
Old 01-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I own and race a TC4 in VTA. More than capable of holding its own. I've also watched a local racer (on a small track) with a Club Racer TC4 beating much "better" or "newer" chassis. I drove his car in practice and was impressed with how well he had it setup.

Too often in the R/C community I read/hear comments that you must have X-brand chassis to do well or Y-brand electronics if you want to win. In reality if most people spent more time working on their existing cars and less time worrying about buying the next best thing, they would do better. Want to read a great thread about how to get the most out of an r/c car - check out this thread about making an HPI Sprint 2 a better car (http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-sows-ear.html).

The best part about a TC4 is that it is durable, has virtually any adjustment you need in an R/C car (except a factory gear diff), and is relatively inexpensive.

Thanks to everyone for their great tips/advice on the TC4
Old 01-31-2013, 09:13 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Okay, I'm looking to get back into USVTA racing in a few weeks. I'm currently in the process of selling my Associated FTB4.1 ARTR to fund the move from off road back to on road.

I have an older TC3 that started life as a RTR kit. My 1st ever hobby grade RC. It will need a complete tear down and rebuild no doubt, it will need the upgraded threaded shocks, needs front CVDs. Bearings through out. What would it take to make this basically a TC4? Would it even be worth trying to bring this old TC3 back from the dead?? I know I can get a TC4 club kit for $150 give or take but then I'd need the legal electronics which is another $150ish plus servo, body, tires..........

Nevermind! It'll be cheaper to find a deal with an ARTR VTA setup over trying to bring back the dead TC3.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by AudioStylz
Okay, I'm looking to get back into USVTA racing in a few weeks. I'm currently in the process of selling my Associated FTB4.1 ARTR to fund the move from off road back to on road.

I have an older TC3 that started life as a RTR kit. My 1st ever hobby grade RC. It will need a complete tear down and rebuild no doubt, it will need the upgraded threaded shocks, needs front CVDs. Bearings through out. What would it take to make this basically a TC4? Would it even be worth trying to bring this old TC3 back from the dead?? I know I can get a TC4 club kit for $150 give or take but then I'd need the legal electronics which is another $150ish plus servo, body, tires..........

Nevermind! It'll be cheaper to find a deal with an ARTR VTA setup over trying to bring back the dead TC3.
TC3 are great for VTA, you dont need the fancy threaded shocks, if you want to run a spool then you will need 2402 steel cvd's, if your going to run a diff then the stock plastic or aluminum cvd's are fine, only part I wouuld really recomend swaping is the front shock tower for a rear or a set of TC4 shock towers and chassis braces (less the $15) Rebuild that TC3 and have some fun in VTA
Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

In my experience if you race on a medium to high bite track, the TC4 is easier to adjust roll centers for a VTA car. You can replace the TC3 chassis braces and use the TC4 chassis braces which will give you more options for roll centers.

However the TC3 is also a great car for VTA. In fact there is a great youtube video of me and another racer running TC3s in a VTA A-main. Here is a link to the video - http://youtu.be/HLFudjy9bZQ

I was driving a friend's TC3 - the orange 69 Camaro, the white 68 Camaro with black stripes was a TC3, and the black/gold Camaro was an Xray.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 01-31-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:51 PM
Tech Champion

Wow, these tc3's set the pace ! Great video !!!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I have no doubt that the TC3 can hang with the high price kits on the market in VTA. My biggest concern is the availability of TC3 steering blocks and C-Hubs. Is it possible to upgrade those parts using TC4 parts? I have no problem with changing out the front end to TC4 parts just so I have parts available.

Just to get this TC3 I have up and running I need front CVDs (won't be running a spool) at least hub bearings in the left front wheel, shock rebuild kit and that's really about it just to get it rolling again.

I would then need wheels/tires, body, speed control/motor, and servo to fully get back up and running.

I used to race VTA with a TC3 then I moved up to TC5 and never could get the feel with the TC5 as I did with the TC3. I'm trying to get back into VTA with a budget of around $200, this is why I will most likely end up with something that's VTA ready. I can work on the TC3 to get it race ready in the mean time though.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled TC4 program.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
I was specifically told by the mods to only post here about the tc4 and nowhere else... So I did ... Hopefully the same will apply to the other posters....
By the way, tc3/tc4 parts are so cheap and available that I've stopped stocking on parts: I have too many of them already, and the car does not wear them out.....
JEEEZ...Bertie take a vallium ease up. Dr. Bull sez take 2 aspirins and go to bed ...you will feel better in the morning. I have been working on my TC3 for 2 summer seasons of racing on asphalt. Our track is 80' X 150' we have 21.5 stock TC class 1450g min wt, in which I race my VTA TC3. There is only 1 other VTA car so we have to run in TC stock. Last season I never finished worse than 2nd. I will carry on with the TC3 this spring. I scooped a new IRS Graphite chassis for it, I have upgraded the shocks to AE6.1 Aluminum diffs front & rear etc, etc, etc. There is a team TC4 in the works as a possible replacement using all of Darksides, Rojna and your tips and tricks and set up info, in order to build the ultimate TC4. So if some one wants to chirp about some other car I am interested there opinions. Just remember, IF YOU AIN"T HAVIN FUN GO HOME.......Now BE....lets have some fun!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2013, 04:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
I .

Too often in the R/C community I read/hear comments that you must have X-brand chassis to do well or Y-brand electronics if you want to win. In reality if most people spent more time working on their existing cars and less time worrying about buying the next best thing, they would do better.
Thanks to everyone for their great tips/advice on the TC4
INDY my take is your assessment is 2/3rds correct. You left out "track time". To be competitive there is no substitute for learning how to drive the car, adjust the radio and then progress to driving it fast and clean. Getting enough practice track time to develop these skills is not always possible in some locations of the country. Trust me that I know this, DP.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

One of the biggest reasons I chose the TC4 is local parts support. My LHS sells the club racer kits and stocks spares and upgrades of TC3/TC4 parts. Almost anything you would need except for the chassis. That's a big plus in my book. I don't normally purchase a big lot of spares to keep on hand so the ability to walk into the shop after I break something is priceless. On top of that, most of the local guys are running the TC4 so help with setups is all around me. I also think the TC4 is very easy to work on. I enjoy wrenching on it more than my off-roads.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.