Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree5Likes

Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

I think an R4 would be nice, just a few little things I would change from the R3.

Back to the R2 style steering but a much more compact version, there's no need for such long plastic arms, there's far too much steering throw built in, it needs to be set at something like 70% on my transmitter to stop the servo binding. Make everything shorter and they could possibly squeeze in another cell slot on the chassis so we have a fore and aft option. Plus the servo could go further forward for even more electronics room.

You could even shorten the steering posts by about a third and have a new low top deck. It would need PAL R2 chassis style wings at the front and back of the chassis to keep some torsional rigidness and a bit of work to get it tied into the bulkeads but it could be done...

Stop putting the silly extra cell slots on the left hand side of the chassis, or atleast put a couple of cross bars in there so there's more surface area to stick electronics too. With the option of cutting out the extra cross bars if you want to use the two cell slots.

Some ballast weight screw points would be nice, like the Corraly Assassin (although I don't want to be charged Assassin prices for the actual weights )

X-Ray style battery strap as standard, but with the extra scalloped section of carbon fiber like the schumacher brace.

hehe, I was bored last night and spent too much time staring at my Cuda I think I'll have to model my own version when I get my 3d computer modeling skills up to the job
Old 09-11-2004, 11:18 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hey nothing wrong at looking at your stuff. I have done it many of nights when I'm not sure what I want to do at it.

Those extra slots are a pain when mounting electronics.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:08 PM
Tech Regular

I was a month ago but maybe I'll wait and just run my Xenon R2's. Looks like some big order heading for Speedtechrc. Are you racing the TC3 at tomorrow's ORL race ?

Originally posted by wyd
You thinking of getting an R3. I won't have the car til Wed or Thursday and then I will be getting my Speedtech order ready. Car looks great from the pics and has about all the hopups. It is red and I like blue but I can deal with that and maybe later I will chrome it. I very minor thing.

I will be getting diff halfs and hard mid span arms. I will be having a nice parts order. Need to see when Steve is getting in his Cuda order.

Brian
Old 09-11-2004, 03:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally posted by RcMonk
I was a month ago but maybe I'll wait and just run my Xenon R2's. Looks like some big order heading for Speedtechrc. Are you racing the TC3 at tomorrow's ORL race ?
I think Brian is running a mini in touring stock seeing he is the nations best used car salesman. I heard he's gona run 7-cells to make up for being down on power
Old 09-11-2004, 05:12 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally posted by John Tag
I think Brian is running a mini in touring stock seeing he is the nations best used car salesman. I heard he's gona run 7-cells to make up for being down on power
I think I will start a used R/C Car lot.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:23 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Well that posting of a picture didn't work.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:49 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Ok here we go again. I think I have the picture shrunk down now.
Attached Thumbnails Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3-red-cuda.jpg  
Old 09-11-2004, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Herminator
I think an R4 would be nice, just a few little things I would change from the R3.

Back to the R2 style steering but a much more compact version, there's no need for such long plastic arms, there's far too much steering throw built in, it needs to be set at something like 70% on my transmitter to stop the servo binding. Make everything shorter and they could possibly squeeze in another cell slot on the chassis so we have a fore and aft option. Plus the servo could go further forward for even more electronics room.

You could even shorten the steering posts by about a third and have a new low top deck. It would need PAL R2 chassis style wings at the front and back of the chassis to keep some torsional rigidness and a bit of work to get it tied into the bulkeads but it could be done...

Stop putting the silly extra cell slots on the left hand side of the chassis, or atleast put a couple of cross bars in there so there's more surface area to stick electronics too. With the option of cutting out the extra cross bars if you want to use the two cell slots.

Some ballast weight screw points would be nice, like the Corraly Assassin (although I don't want to be charged Assassin prices for the actual weights )

X-Ray style battery strap as standard, but with the extra scalloped section of carbon fiber like the schumacher brace.

hehe, I was bored last night and spent too much time staring at my Cuda I think I'll have to model my own version when I get my 3d computer modeling skills up to the job
couldn't have agreed more. Well put
Add the belt conversion (or shaft conversion whichever that may turn out) as standard kit.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by wyd
NICE! very nice!

Steve Wang
Old 09-12-2004, 01:20 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally posted by SpeedTech
NICE! very nice!

Steve Wang
Thanks Steve. I talked to the owner last night on the phone for well over an hour. He has been racing for over 20 years. He use to have R1 Cuda's back in the day when he had to order them from Japan. He really knows alot about them. He got this one used and never ran it.
Old 09-12-2004, 03:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by wyd
Thanks Steve. I talked to the owner last night on the phone for well over an hour. He has been racing for over 20 years. He use to have R1 Cuda's back in the day when he had to order them from Japan. He really knows alot about them. He got this one used and never ran it.
Looks like you have a good car there .. hope you enjoy the car the 2nd time around
-Dave
Old 09-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

That red R2 Xenon looks sweet
In some ways it's nicer than my blue version

Well I'm back from racing in the Cumbria GP....
Not that many people turned up, must be since it's the end of the outdoor season and the weather was a little wet and cold
There was still some serious competition at the top end though, the fastest guy all day was a local to the Carlisle track who's been one of the fastest there for quite some time now, despite having a year off last year.
The next five, me included, were all squabling for positions behind him, I think 3rd to 6th was covered by about 3 seconds at the end of qualifying. I was 6th unfortunatly, even though it was my fastest ever 5 minute run there 18 laps 307 seconds, last year everyone was struggling to break the 18 lap barrier... the guy one pole did 19laps 314seconds, modifieds only do 19 laps on a good day
The tarmac there seems very strange, it's often faster when colder, you just have to have the right tyres on, but it can be quite hard on tyres that are supposed to be in the right temperature range.

I spent the day racing steadily and fine tuning my setup, by the final it was pretty well sorted, definetly a setup I'll be noting down.

Started 6th on the grid and at the first corner at the end of the straight I got by the two cars ahead as they half spun. Was on 3rd places back bumper for the next lap then he clipped a curb and grip rolled. Then I was a few meters behind 2nd, I couldn't believe my luck. A couple laps later and he make a mistake and flew over a curb so I was gifted another position. The pole sitter had already opened up a small lead and with the pace he has all day there was no way I'd catch him. I just had to hold on to my position, there were three cars all very close to each other about 2 seconds behind me and they were all busy racing each other. I couldn't afford to back off but managed to hold the gap behind me until the end, fealt like a long 4 minutes though

Here's one of the nicest trophy's I've ever won
Attached Thumbnails Alex Racing Barracuda R2 & R3-cumbriagp.jpg  
Old 09-12-2004, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally posted by wyd
that is sooooo cool
if i do the same my car wil looks like TB EVO because it is blue
Old 09-12-2004, 06:33 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Thanks Guys. The car will be alot of fun. Can't wait to get it this week and dig in and get it ready.

Dave the 2nd time around will be better. I do have a question for you. Will the R2 setup mount right onto a r3 chassis? I'm going to get the BMI setup and if Jason has a pattern for the R3 I was hopeing I can get it to work. Otherwise I will just send him my stuff and have some nice Titainum colored chassis setup for my car.
Old 09-13-2004, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

i got my cuda last week and built it over the weekend....apart from not being able to read japenese i thought it went together pretty well...although i am a little bit dissapointed that the steering is only got bushes but i will be getting bearings for that shortly.

just got to paint my shell and glue the tyres and its ready to go

it certainly looks like a good car, lets just see if its true when it hits the track

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.