Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Kyosho FW-05R

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 05:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by ziggy12345
I have had the MTX-3 hubs on the FW for some time and it makes a real difference to the rear end for foam tyres.

I was using 5 deg camber with te original hubs but now back to 1.5 deg.

The rear end is planted now!

I just changed the rears on the VoneRR EVO and it had the same effect there. I tried it yesterday and it was amazing! I got the same times as the FW. I was going to sell it but have chaned my mind now!!

Cheers
You running Lola or Touring? 'cos with touring it doesn't work.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by NiMo
Which pillow ball do you refer to?
The steering pillow ball is about 6mm closer to the axle so you get more steering over the original hubs using the same amount of servo throw, and the best bit is you do not lose any rear end grip.
Pictures can be found here at 3hobby.com
Sorry, I'm mean the distance between the pillow balls that screw into the upper and lower arms - see attached pic.

I have not tried the MTX3 hubs and I am not happy with the RRR rear hubs, it makes the rear end loose, so I'm reverting back to the original 05 hubs.
Hmmm . . . it may be that the MTX hubs cause you to use a shorter upper link and thus afford the greater camber change for a given suspension compression. Ziggy and others have commented favourably.
It may be that the RRR's rear hubs work fine with the RRR's rear end, but not with the FW.

It's all a geometry thing - that's why I'm interested in the distance between those front pillow balls. Maybe they've played with the front roll centre.
Attached Thumbnails Kyosho FW-05R-pillowspacing.jpg  
Old 08-30-2004, 11:49 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Sorry, I'm mean the distance between the pillow balls that screw into the upper and lower arms - see attached pic.

Hmmm . . . it may be that the MTX hubs cause you to use a shorter upper link and thus afford the greater camber change for a given suspension compression. Ziggy and others have commented favourably.
It may be that the RRR's rear hubs work fine with the RRR's rear end, but not with the FW.

It's all a geometry thing - that's why I'm interested in the distance between those front pillow balls. Maybe they've played with the front roll centre.
Not really checked that bit, all I kmow is that they work.
I tried the rear hubs again today, I still think the rear end is loose but Slow&Steady says the rear is loose because I'm trying to drive at Wedge shell speeds with a Touring shell, he thinks I should stay with them, so I will for a little longer just to see who prooves who right.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:50 PM
Tech Elite

Not really checked that bit, all I kmow is that they work.
I tried the rear hubs again today, I still think the rear end is loose but Slow&Steady says the rear is loose because I'm trying to drive at Wedge shell speeds with a Touring shell, he thinks I should stay with them, so I will for a little longer just to see who prooves who right.
It was OK after you fixed the loose pillow balls right? Very stable and fast around the sweeper. You were hammering the car to the limit.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
It was OK after you fixed the loose pillow balls right? Very stable and fast around the sweeper. You were hammering the car to the limit.
But it still feels slow and loose.
Shame I had no one on track with me to check it out for myself.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

But it still feels slow and loose.
Shame I had no one on track with me to check it out for myself.
We could test together next Saturday if you like ...
Old 08-30-2004, 01:45 PM
Tech Master

We could test together next Saturday if you like ...
you were there today but we never got on to the track together, I only had Latex Andy to run with.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

you were there today but we never got on to the track together, I only had Latex Andy to run with.
For some strange reason, like you, I was not in a mood to run. Maybe if we had done a tank together we would have got going.
Old 08-30-2004, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

For some strange reason, like you, I was not in a mood to run. Maybe if we had done a tank together we would have got going.
You could be right there, I only went out twice.
Still no reply from Brookland club.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Nimo, cvccsi told me that the 3R rear hubs push out quite a bit. Did you try trimming down the arms a little? I would think that this would also make the top camber link shorter.

BTW ... I really appriciate all your input on these mods. My parts are still in HK somewhere so I'm trying to get things sorted out with your R&D.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by kidDynomite
Hey Nimo, cvccsi told me that the 3R rear hubs push out quite a bit. Did you try trimming down the arms a little? I would think that this would also make the top camber link shorter.

BTW ... I really appriciate all your input on these mods. My parts are still in HK somewhere so I'm trying to get things sorted out with your R&D.
I had no width problems, I used the 05 swing arms with front dogbones and drive cups which still allows the 30mm rear foams to fit, and when first assembled I was down to 194mm with no binding (the pillow balls would not screw in any further).
I now have both front and rear at 199mm.
I have used a part of the RRR upper arm as this part can use bearings to smooth the action yet eliminate all play, I have yet to get the bearings so at present only have alloy bushed fitted, I think the bearing size is 3x6 which you need two off for each side.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

You could be right there, I only went out twice.
Still no reply from Brookland club.
Give it a few more days. If they don't reply and Les can't get hold of anyone then maybe its not worth going ... there may be no one there when we arrive!
Old 08-30-2004, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Give it a few more days. If they don't reply and Les can't get hold of anyone then maybe its not worth going ... there may be no one there when we arrive!
Just looked up on the BRCA site, club is under new management, but the fixture list is also enclosed within the same topic, and the 12th is still listed, they have a 1/8th National on the 19th listed so the 12th could be a fun meeting comparing our times to the big boys.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

I had no width problems, I used the 05 swing arms with front dogbones and drive cups which still allows the 30mm rear foams to fit, and when first assembled I was down to 194mm with no binding (the pillow balls would not screw in any further).
I now have both front and rear at 199mm.
Interesting ... if you do find some hope for the 3R rear hubs, would you let me know how much you brought up the camber link on the the hubs? I just need a starting point. Right now I run soft springs and dampening. The car feels planted at the track I race at, and I'd only like to use these if there are substantial benefits. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by kidDynomite
Interesting ... if you do find some hope for the 3R rear hubs, would you let me know how much you brought up the camber link on the the hubs? I just need a starting point. Right now I run soft springs and dampening. The car feels planted at the track I race at, and I'd only like to use these if there are substantial benefits. Thanks!
They are lighter than the original hubs, and your spare front shafts and cups will now fit the rear, so only one set needs to be carried.
I run very soft springs, The green and Yellow ones from the Kyosho Spider MkII kit, with 2 hole 40wt damping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.