Wiki Posts
Search

Alternative Liquid Mask Films

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 05:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1967rs
Well I shot a body with this stuff. It sprays nice, I used my touch-up gun that normaly plugs up when using faskmask. I layed down 3 heavy coats, I should have waited more time between coats because a lot of it ran to the botton of the body. I pulled a small test patch from a part that was dry and it looks like this will work. When dry it is not rubbery like fastmask it is more like plastic, it is a lot like the overspray coating that comes on the outside of bodies. I will let it dry overnight and see how it cuts on Sat.
In for results, I should have chimed in, Ive tried every option to liquid mask and found nothing to be as effective, all the auto overspray films and none of them work.

Im particularly interested in how it cuts with a blade, keep us posted!
Old 02-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Can't wait to hear how it goes. I knew that it would spray better. Its designed to be sprayed on . As the doctor says the cutting is going to be the real test.

Doc have you tried this stuff before? I know that there's 2 versions of this stuff. Wet and dry. The wet is more to attract the dust and dirt and keep it off the fresh paint.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Well, I ran into a problem with this stuff. It will not adhere to sharp contours in the body, as it dries it will stretch over contours and you get air pockets under the mask. My test body was a proline bulldog truck, that has some sharp contours in the cab area. The first time I got air pockets I thought it might be because I didn’t allow enough dry time between coats, so I started over letting it completely dry between coats. The air pockets were not as bad but I still had them. I did test cut a window and it cuts very nice and peels very easy, so if you are going to do a body with no sharp contours or just flat panels it should work good.

I am trying one more test mixing it with fastmask to see what happens.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

dont mix with fastmask, it will work but leaves a ruff finish and just does strange things. I am thinking that if you mixed the wet and dry together it might work. The dry is just not sticky enough when dry.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What did you do for prep on the body? I don't care for the Proline bodies myself. There's just something about them. They're thinner. Chrome isn't as bright on them. Looks like when someone has handled a chrome tool...if you know what I mean. Like finger prints on chrome. The stickers leave a film.

I know that you said it ran when you first put it on. Did you thin it at all before spraying? I was wondering if you built it up with several thin layers if it might do better. I wouldn't mind coming up and buying a sample from you. Maybe between the 2 of us we can figure out how to make it work
Old 02-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I am trying one more test mixing it with fastmask to see what happens.

dont mix with fastmask
priceless, lol

you paid money to learn a lesson and that my friend is money well spent, usually you cant buy wisdom!
Old 02-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mike E.
What did you do for prep on the body? I don't care for the Proline bodies myself. There's just something about them. They're thinner. Chrome isn't as bright on them. Looks like when someone has handled a chrome tool...if you know what I mean. Like finger prints on chrome. The stickers leave a film.

I know that you said it ran when you first put it on. Did you thin it at all before spraying? I was wondering if you built it up with several thin layers if it might do better. I wouldn't mind coming up and buying a sample from you. Maybe between the 2 of us we can figure out how to make it work
I scuffed the body and washed with dish soap just like I always prep bodies.

I did not thin it as all, the stuff is like water.

I am a little heavy handed when applying mask thou my 2nd try was thinner then the first.

I will give you a sample if you want, it does not take much to cover a body.

I will be at redline on wed night and all day sat, I can bring some with me.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ChEmDoCtOr
priceless, lol

you paid money to learn a lesson and that my friend is money well spent, usually you cant buy wisdom!
It is all good, that was one of my cheaper lessons
Old 02-08-2019, 09:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Is there any alternatives to liquid mask I can pick up at walmart etc? I want to paint a body thos weekend but noone seems to have the actual liquid mask in stock