Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Xerun 120amp ESC capacitors question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Tech Adept

Default Xerun 120amp ESC capacitors question

I have installed the Xerun 120amp ESC in my Losi SCTE with a Tenshock 4000kv 4 pole sensorless motor.

I am new to brushless systems (20 year hiatus from RC). The speed control came with a couple of capacitors with black and red wire leads connected to them.

Nothing in the instructions of the speed control say when and why to use the capacitors. The wiring instructions and diagrams also do not feature these capacitors.

All I could find where the specs on the internal BEC. It says that it can handle 1s lipo. I am running 2s.

Do I need to wire up the capacitors? Do the leads just get wired to the respective power wires that go to the battery?

Any help would be appreciated. I would just wire them up just in case, but I don't want to add anything that I don't have to.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

I would check hobbywings website. They usually have good info. I haven't seen a brushless esc that doesn't use capacitors.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Solder them up.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The ESC should have capacitors buried in it's guts (may be visible from the outside, depends on the casing) anyways. Those are for paralleling on post-BEC side if you are getting brownouts (See; Glitch Buster).
Old 01-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

[QUOTE=WindDrake;10122877]The ESC should have capacitors buried in it's guts (may be visible from the outside, depends on the casing) anyways. Those are for paralleling on post-BEC side if you are getting brownouts (See; Glitch Buster).[
Most of the hobbywing esc I've seen have external caps so they are replaceable.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default CAPS

Originally Posted by oldschoolnewb
I have installed the Xerun 120amp ESC in my Losi SCTE with a Tenshock 4000kv 4 pole sensorless motor.

I am new to brushless systems (20 year hiatus from RC). The speed control came with a couple of capacitors with black and red wire leads connected to them.

Nothing in the instructions of the speed control say when and why to use the capacitors. The wiring instructions and diagrams also do not feature these capacitors.

All I could find where the specs on the internal BEC. It says that it can handle 1s lipo. I am running 2s.

Do I need to wire up the capacitors? Do the leads just get wired to the respective power wires that go to the battery?

Any help would be appreciated. I would just wire them up just in case, but I don't want to add anything that I don't have to.
Solder them to the red and black power wires, they were like the baffles in a tanker trailer. They catch the current flow when you let off, and get it going when you pull the trigger
Old 01-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

[QUOTE=hotrod87;10123965]
Originally Posted by WindDrake
The ESC should have capacitors buried in it's guts (may be visible from the outside, depends on the casing) anyways. Those are for paralleling on post-BEC side if you are getting brownouts (See; Glitch Buster).[
Most of the hobbywing esc I've seen have external caps so they are replaceable.
By buried, I mean not held on by wires. My two 150A's have PCB-Mounted caps, along with my SC8.