R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2017, 09:51 AM
bradshawkyle
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Hangar 30, Round 5 Results

As is the trend lately, thanks to Jesse Anderson from The Racer Underground for another great race recap this week.

We're officially two months in to the 2017/2018 Hangar 30 Wednesday season, and with 5 rounds now in the books, drivers are becoming more confident inside the tight confines of the Hangar 30 track with each passing heat. I've come to this conclusion because of two observations:
1: Lap times are falling consistently in all classes.
2: Races across the board are becoming, lets just say..... more exciting. (cue "Welcome to the Jungle") Bold moves and shenanigans sum up Wednesday racing week after week, but isn't rubbin' racing? On to the results!

Novice:
https://youtu.be/4usQRKIJcLc

Gary Bennett's resilience as the wiley vet, reminds me of a trash-talkin' Steve Smith (See link above). For 4 previous rounds, Paul Nortness has been a thorn in the side of the "ageless wonder" Gary Bennett in the two-way battle for the Novice win. This week, Gary would have none of it yet again. From pole, Gary battled it out with the upstart Nortness for 5 minutes, with the veteran coming out on top. I just want to hear Gary say "Ice up son!" just once.

Scale Spec:
https://youtu.be/WuN421qNmxE
https://youtu.be/LnqcfE-VTt0

Scale Spec can have a tendency to get a bit rowdy, as evidenced by actual race footage linked above.

Nonetheless, Scale Spec provides damn-fun racing to participate in and watch. While Mike Boyle would pip Donny Banks to the pole for the main, it would be Mike on the receiving end of some door-banging, which ended his night early, along with Adam Shelton and Kyle Bradshaw. With the field shrunk down to 5 cars after the first minute, Donny put his head down and cruised to an easy win, with Jeff Johnson taking a solid second, and Chris Perry having a fine drive to third.

Stock Touring:
https://youtu.be/K2cNqaPSHv0

More real stock racing footage above, as I show the comparison from my 21.5 Small-Block Stock TC, to Andrew Cartwright's 17.5 machine.

In all seriousness, Wednesday's Stock TC grid lived up to the "Wednesday Night Worlds" moniker. With at least 5 of the 9 drivers competing having won at the National or regional level before, I picked a hell of a time to move up. Marc McGurren joined us from Texas, and threw down with the best the class had to offer. While Stewart would challenge for the top spot, it would be Andrew taking pole. In the Main, Andrew would take full advantage (The rainbow fanny pack had a factor) of the front row start and bolt away with the win, with Stewart and Jake slotted in second and third respectively. In a completely biased note, I often feel a bit in the way with these bad ass drivers, but I was stoked to come away with 4th and a couple points on the night!

Stock 12th:

Like an angry Chihuahua going after a Great Dane, the concentrated pint-sized beast has been unleashed....

What once was Brian Bodine's world all to his own, Stewart is beginning to stake his claim on the Stock 12th field. The Mini-Mason and the Elder-Statesman would swap TQ's each heat, and while Brian would give it a hell of a run, Stewart would take pole by 1-tenth of a second over an 8 minute qualifier. In the main, Stewart would take advantage of a bobble by Bodine to build a comfortable lead that he would keep for the remainder of the race. Brian would recover for what I'm calling the drive of the night, coming from dead last to second, a mere 3 seconds behind Stewart at the tone. Todd Mason would take third with a solid drive of his own, only 4 seconds back from Brian at the end. This class never disappoints!

We're back at in two weeks, on December 13th. In the meantime, head on down to the community center this Saturday for some racing on "the smooth". Wednesday Night World's is alive and well, kids. Best fun you'll have all week, guaranteed.

Results posted below.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Round 1.pdf (778.8 KB, 53 views)
Round 2.pdf (786.3 KB, 57 views)
Mains.pdf (760.8 KB, 95 views)