R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - How to solder correctly (a not so brief lesson)
Old 10-30-2009, 06:47 PM
marine6680
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nougat
Marine- Very informative post. Thank you.

I have always used RMA core 60/40 or 63/37 solder and remember hearing that extra flux generally was not needed.

Now that I know its better to use extra flux, can you give me a little more detail on how to use it (how and where to apply? how much? etc...) . Thanks again.
Basically you put the flux wherever you want solder to go. A light coat or a drop or two is enough. When you are tinning a wire a drop should be enough for up to 14ga wire for a 1/2 inch strip, 1 and half to 2 drops for 12ga or 10ga. A drip to tin the post and another drip to complete the joint. When soldering a wire to a post heat the side of the post close to the top, a little drop there can help heat up the post. Remember heat the part not the solder. You actually apply solder to the side of the wire opposite of the tip, solder will flow toward the heat. Flux can help the heat transfer if you have issues, you can also apply a small amount of solder to the iron tip. The air dried flux I mention using helps by staying put and not dripping off the parts, but because it is thick and more concentrated it is a little harder to clean. But the fact it will not run down the post and into the case of a component is a big plus. It also works better at tinning wires, just a small amount on the wire, about a drops worth for 10ga is more than enough, just spread it out a bit becuse it likes to stay as a glob untill heated. When it gets hot, it will thin out and flow into the wire, but not as far under the insulation as liquid will which is good.