R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Alex Racing Stinger
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2005, 12:17 PM
Nielsen
Tech Initiate

Exclamation Spool for the Stinger

Hello everybody.

The weekend has past one, and I can look back at an interesting weekend attending two races with my Stinger.

It was also the weekend where I, purhaps as the first ever, was driveng the Stinger with a spool. The spools that Soren (sbs) has shown you all a picture off. I was the lucky one to get to do the shakedown of this.
Saturday I was attending a regional race in something called the DRCMU. Not all that good. The spool was put in the car during friday night. The Titaniumskrews was put in and the rear ourdrives was replaced with new one in delrin. At another DRCMU race some two weeks prior the car had wayed 1585g. Now it said 1498g... - and I still havn't got the titanium aksels...
On the other hand, I have got my moist hands on some VERY nice ceramic 1050 flance... They work I must say !!!
Spinntime was around 16 secs - but still a bitt to the 20 secs you had "down under".
Ended up finishing as a sad nr. 21 Think that I made a mistake using some sandpaper korn 180 on the tires.
Had some serious oversteering - using a spool..!
So not wery happy about that result!

Sunday was much better....
It was the secound in the Danish championships.
I hadn't attended the first, cause off lack of spare parts.
Got there a bitt late sunday morning (overslept after the tuff saturday ) Only had time for a single practicerun. Had a bitt oversteer. All i did was to retweek the car - and I had a bitt understeer for the first qualify. NB! hadn't changed the set-up from the race on saturday - get that if you can...
The car was handling wery well. As I said a bit understeer, pulling wery well out off the corners - just being nice to drive and wonderfully calm on the track.
Allraedy on my first q. I ran the fastest run I have ever done on that track - at that time... Made some better time in both secound and third run.
Was enough for a startposition as fifth in the A-main.
In the finals I had a bit off luck, well we all need that, but drove some, if I say so my self , wery fine finals. Made to bad starts but manneged to drive up through the field and had the following finnish's; 3, 3, 2 = 5
Total a FANTASTIC secound place finnish, if I say so...
And to make it all even better, the one who won the race, can't, because of some slightly complex rules here in DK, get points in the Danish Champ. for the next year (he won the championship this summer), so on the paper I won the race!

So to sum up.
The Stinger was driving well with the spool. This spool is made of dural alluminium and weighs around 20g. It's sollid and I think I wear it down before it breaks. Well might have to change the cups at a point, but we'll see.
If you can, get one and try it! With the spool I was also able to attack hard on the inside (well not on saturday, that day nothing worked) and it draws hard out of the turn. The car will understeer some, but I think it's posible to get the steering right.
Looking forward to work more on the setup now, when the weight is down and the spool is in.
I'll be posting my set-up as soon as I can.

So all you Stinger drivers. Go get the trofies...

Nicolai