R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Advice? XXX-SCT Roller vs. SC10 Brushed RTR
Old 12-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Gamehendge
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by MarkA
Putting your Rustlers' electrics in the Losi will probably produce, IMO, a similar effect to buying the brushed SC10. I cannot recommend anyone spend even a penny more on anything brushed these days. On the track, if the electronics were identical, they should run very similarly.

Have you thought about buying used? Used FT SC10's go for $140-180 in the for sale section here as rollers (I just sold mine for $160 shipped with a bunch of extras for example) and that would be a better option than any low-end RTR. Do a little poking around there and I think you'd be surprised what you can find plus many people on this forum are racers so you'd be buying stuff that was raced and not trashed/bashed like on Ebay.

For a brushless ESC, I would again recommend a used race-grand one as those can often be found for close to the price of a new Chinese un-brand one.

Maintenance will be a wash on either one. Just be warned that the current made it China era Losi and AE cars will not be quite what someone who took a 20year break from the hobby will remember those brands as...

Thanks for the input. I really want to buy new though, not used. I was seriously considering buying a used FT SC10 here, but I think I have to rely on the truck being purchased as a gift for Christmas. I think I have a much better chance of getting the Roller at that price point than the SC10 FT which is $80 more.

But, on that note, do you think I'm better off seeing if I can get the SC10 FT (which I'm not inclined to do because of the higher price, and the time constraints of my life. I would love to build a kit, but time is soooo limited), or should I go with the SCT Roller and slowly upgrade (with the TLR kit as well) to better electronics and parts down the road. So basically I would end up with an SCT that is comparable to the SC10 FT.

So many decisions!

Thanks...