R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Advice? XXX-SCT Roller vs. SC10 Brushed RTR
Old 12-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Gamehendge
Tech Apprentice

Default Advice? XXX-SCT Roller vs. SC10 Brushed RTR

Hey everyone. So I recently got back into the hobby after a 20+ year absence. Upon returning to the hobby, I had no clue what was what. My previous car was a buggy, an RC10 Graphite (TQ10), back in 1990. This past spring I bought a new RTR without researching enough. I had a limited budget, and uninformed self wound up getting the the Traxxas Rustler XL-5. There was no track in my area, and I just wanted to bash. I couldn't afford the cost of a kit + electronics, and I got the Rustler on an impulse purchase.

Fast forward to now, and there is a new track that has opened, and I really want to race. The Rustler isn't for me, but now money is tighter than ever. Ideally, I would get the SC10 Factory Team, and use the Rustler electronics and slowly upgrade, but honestly, the kit is too much, and the task of putting it together is too daunting with my crazy job and 1 year old son. My wife would go batty if I spent all my time putting it together.

So, this is my predicament. I simply can't afford the SC10 FT due to the price and time constraints of building. So, I've boiled my choice down to the XXX-SCT Roller, and will use my Rustler electronics and slowly upgrade electronics and to the TLR kit. But, for only $20 more I can get a stock SC10 Brushed RTR.

So, this is where you guys come in. Why is an RTR SC10 only $20 more than the SCT-XXX Roller? Is this $179 XXX-SCT Roller (http://losi.com/Products/Features.aspx?ProdId=LOSB0113) a better truck all around than this SC10 which costs $199 (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXXRC7**&P=SM)? Is the build of the XXX-SCT far superior to the build of the SC10 in the link?

The XXX-SCT Roller is simply the cheapest option out there, but of course it has no electronics, and I would use my Rustler electronics and upgrade. For $20 more I can get the SC10 RTR Brushed.

I know, I should get the SC10 FT, but I just don't have the time or the money. Some day, when I have more time, I'll get that, but for now, I need to go with the cheapest and most sensible option.

So, is the XXX-SCT Roller the most sensible, or is the SC10 Brushed RTR?

Any and all input is welcome!

Thanks everyone,
Adam

Last edited by Gamehendge; 12-01-2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Rewording