R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2011 NSW Off-Road Club Series
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 12:30 AM
nckmat
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radio Active
When I play soccer at an organised club I play exactly the same game they play at the World Cup, and I enjoy it.

Those of us who race buggys enjoy that too. Any RC class is enjoyable if competed in with the right spirit, and with sufficient competition.

If something is a national or state title class people will want to race it at club and intermediate level too. That always happens with motor classes, with chassis classes, with everything. It's the reason why you end up with a hopelessly split club racing scene if national motor classes don't make sense for the majority of club racers.

The national classes have to reflect the WC classes, to give those title aspirants hope, and because we are obliged. Feeder classes to these make perfect sense too. This is pretty much always going to be the case, and it doesn't really matter if 80% of new drivers have never heard of the WCs, because a national racing scene will always be dictated to a fair degree by the WCs, in just the same way which events are run at an athletics meet are dictated by which are competitive events at the Olympics or WCs in that sport.

There is some space left over though, where we can run a class that isn't a WC class. This is what we can change and it is where we need to focus our attention.

Up till now that class has been Stadium Truck. The question I'm trying to get people to answer here is: is Stadium Truck the right class to fill this gap moving forward?

There seems to be a good case for SCT right now, but if we don't look at the big picture then the question of which class to run becomes a "Which class do you and your club like best?" I'm just trying to frame the situation in terms of that big picture (of which the WC classes are an inextricable part) and get people thinking "Which class is best for the sport?" instead.
Loaded question Daniel, it is obviously SCT.

The problem is that the some clubs encourage them and some don't (by that I don't mean discourage), the clubs that are encouraging them, Ryde, Maitland, Lismore and others are growing and growing well. So how do you convince the non-SCT clubs to drop a class that they kind of race at a club level in favour of a class that they don't run at all at a club level, so that the clubs who run SCT can keep their members happy? I say you squeeze everybody in for a year or two and see which way the cards fall, one of the classes will not survive and I think I can guess which one. If that means you have to drop a heat in order to achieve that then that is the price of progress.