R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)
Old 11-29-2011, 10:15 AM
MDawson
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkMcC
Hi Mark

You seem to be getting a alot of running mate, could you possibly answer a couple of questions for me please?

You mention that you moved the battery forward, and it gave you more on-power steering, did this have a noticable negative effect on off-power steering at all. As per my previous post, I only got the static corner weights, on my car checked properly after the first day with the car, initially I had the battery in R1 and moved it to R2 when I set the corner weights/balance. Now I had the car out for its 2nd run last wkd and noticed a lack of on-power steering compared to the 1st day (only changes were the CW's), after reading your post about the battery i've came to the conclusion I have gone the wrong way on this.

I have worked out that I have a F46/R54 spilt with the cars corner weights/balance set with the battery in R2 and 30g ballast. Do you have your F/R weight distribution at hand to compare?

Been doing a bit of research on the net, mainly on scale race cars, while many say 50/50 is the holy grail, this can be somewhat misleading, a front engine RWD race cars for example can go as far as 40/60, but what is interesting I couldn't find anything other than 50/50 mentioned as the ideal for a AWD race car.

I'm now thinking about moving the battery to R1 again, and moving the ballast forward to get the weight distribution closer to 50/50 for a more neutral setup, any thoughts on this?

If anyone else has any theories on this or has their corner weights handy, please post them.

Cheers

Mark
You mention that you moved the battery forward, and it gave you more on-power steering, did this have a noticable negative effect on off-power steering at all. As per my previous post, I only got the static corner weights, on my car checked properly after the first day with the car, initially I had the battery in R1 and moved it to R2 when I set the corner weights/balance. Now I had the car out for its 2nd run last wkd and noticed a lack of on-power steering compared to the 1st day (only changes were the CW's), after reading your post about the battery i've came to the conclusion I have gone the wrong way on this.

MD> The R1+spool position provided more mid/exit steering. R2+spool seemed to initiate more entry/mid. You may not have approached it incorrectly. Surface/conditions being different day to day, dependent on sauce/track groove. What did you start with a setup?

I have worked out that I have a F46/R54 spilt with the cars corner weights/balance set with the battery in R2 and 30g ballast. Do you have your F/R weight distribution at hand to compare?

MD>
R1 configuration – Front 630 grams / Rear 677 grams
R2 configuration – Front 612 grams / Rear 696 grams

I'm now thinking about moving the battery to R1 again, and moving the ballast forward to get the weight distribution closer to 50/50 for a more neutral setup, any thoughts on this?

MD> Share your setup that you running. Great advice that I got once from Ron Rossetti & Gil Losi Jr. was that the three things that matter in R/C – tire/shocks/body. The rest is all about lap times and practice. I would say that in the history of cars that I have owned – some steer from the rear (FK05), some steer hard from the mid/front (TC6) and some are more neutral (416/417). A lot of that is drivers preference. Especially with new cars, it is good to try different setups. Motor/power has a great effect on how a car feels on the track. Setting up a mod car would be a much different approach than setting up a car for the 17.5/13.5 classes.

Last edited by MDawson; 11-29-2011 at 02:17 PM.