R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)
Old 11-28-2011, 05:12 AM
MDawson
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stephenianjames
I have been following this thread for years now...and always read the latest comments about this car, and am preparing to order one in the next couple of months.

No doubt the performance is excellent...my query relates to the durability of the car...more specifically the carbon lower suspension arms. The club where I used to race (and plan to again because it's local) is pretty rough and tumble in terms of cars taking each other out. How does the A700 hold up to impacts, or is the general calibre of driver (who buy this high end car) such that impacts rarely happen. I plan to run boosted 13.5t.

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Hi Steve

Sure Oleg and the boys have other comments to share.

From my use.

The A700 will probably attract a different range of drivers that will probably not be of the 'basher' level. That said, the car is very capable of going fast quickly especially in short distances. My first weekend out my car caught the edge of an unfortunate tear in the carpet which sent the car near full speed into the boards. The car bounced off the of board limp. The front left suspension looked caved in. It looked bad but at the end - the lower steering hub ballcup popped out, the upper ball link popped off and it popped off the lower control arm c-clip. I popped on three parts, took a look at the alignment and was out of the track 10 min later. No parts breakage.

I have had more than my share of driving punched through areas of the track that I shouldn't have - glancing blows, board-shots. No parts breakage. Arms are straight.

I now have about 900+ laps with the car - my parts count has been much lower than expected.

The replacement list:

- (3) spur gears - user error here
- (1) turnbuckle - this was really early on - glancing shot to board. The stock turnbuckles have deep machined threads. Just hit it wrong.

The 'preference' replacement list:

- (1 set) ballcups - replaced stock ballcups with Kyosho 'hard' ballcups. Similar to the Tamiya 'hard' ballcups - these units are more rigid and fit much tighter.

- (1 set) Lundsford turnbuckles - preference. I have had these turnbuckles survive car kits!

Good luck!