R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2011 NSW Off-Road Club Series
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 12:26 AM
Radio Active
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NOFX
yeah agreed, i think all we need is about a 3 month notification of the new tyre for the next season
How do you plan to decide which tyre would be chosen? Do you plan to have the series organiser negotiate with a supplier to make sure there are sufficient stocks available locally?

When we had State and National Titles with control tyres only sourced by competitors there were supply issues. I remember people turning up at State Titles still trying to get more tyres because they couldn't find them elsewhere. Like I said earlier the Vic states and the NSW states completely consumed ALL of the rear holeshot 2.0s in the country earlier this year.

One of the arguments given earlier for trying to get the Nationals date moved is that suppliers were finding it difficult to get large supplies of tyres from manufacturers right after Christmas.

Supply isn't a trivial problem.

Now, I know the thought is, "You can just get them from overseas, so no problem." Except, it takes a week to get tyres shipped in if the internet stores have enough in stock, and a large portion of racers don't seem to be organised enough for that. A third of entries for any event come in in the last two days entries are open. Plus tyres are bulky, if that's all you're ordering the postage adds to your cost. And then new people don't like ordering from the internet. Any time I tell someone they'll need to get something that isn't sold locally I get a look that says that's too hard. It doesn't help our relationship with the LHS either (which we need to get new racers).

If you're confident you can select a tyre that will suit all 4 tracks to a fair degree, then you need to ensure supplies are available. A control tyre could be great, but there is a logistical problem to be solved, and someone has to solve it. If you're keen to work on this then send Gavin a message, he has negotiated deals with tyre suppliers for AARCMCC he'll be able to give you an idea of what is involved.