R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)
Old 11-26-2011, 10:59 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkMcC
Well, the standard TC design is now more than 12 years old now, and I personally think it has now hit its performance ceiling. If we look at F1 for example assuming the rules have been the same for 3 years say, a team designs a chassis and over the course of a season or 2 the car will evolve to the point were it can get no better. The team will then design a new chassis using the data they have gathered over the past season or 2, which will then evolve and prove to be alot better than the old one (unless your Mercedes GP of course lol).

This is were the Awesomatix stands out from the crowd, Oleg has spent 5 years (maybe more) designing/refining the A700 , using many unique solutions along the way.

First off the shock/spring system, which has many advantages over the norm, all that weight is now as low as it can go, lowering the CofG and in turn increasing corner speed. You also have the repeatability of the settings, no more oil, spring, bladder and piston variations to worry about when you want to copy a team drivers settings, if they have it so do you.

Secondly a high efficiency transmission letting you get as much of the power possible from the motor to the track, improving acceleration and top end.

Also we have the option of running active caster when setup correctly can be very usefull, no more comprimises with caster blocks, so far with the brief running I have had I noticed I had steering on power, off power, braking infact at all times I had alot more steering than I'm used to (may not be solely the active caster of course).

I could go on all day here, but if you take the price of a current car and start adding the cost of the blocks caster/toe etc, roll bars all the shock sundries, the extra go faster bits required etc, you wont be to far off the $800 cost of the A700.

This car is only going to get better and better with more drivers running it, discussing our findings here and Oleg will more than likely continue to evolve the design even further now that he has more performance headroom available over a current chassis. The futures bright the futures Awesomatix....
1+