R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/10 R/C F1's...Pics, Discussions, Whatever...
Old 11-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Team Lotus
Tech Fanatic

Odin, for me the reason that this is debated so much on the various F1 threads is because I believe that representatives of the various F1 rc manufacturers do read these forums(maybe I'm nieave) and that gives us a chance to let them know what we are looking for with regards to future F1 cars that they may offer.

So far, from what I've read; the majority seem to prefer the scale approach over the all-out performance approach. I notice that many clubs across the country mix the various width cars to have enough for a strong F1 class; that's fine. The majority also appear to favor the rubber tires over the foams as they are more real looking and they don't have rollout issues or tire chunking with the rubber tires.

It has been commented by some that the major problem F1 has is that not all the manufacturers are on the same page with regards to what their respective F1 designs are. We have 180mm, 200mm, 190mm, solid axle, independent suspension, "psuedo" F1 cars like the Corally, etc, etc. It would be great if they all were heading in the same direction. There should also be a standard wheel/tire that fits ALL F1 cars, instead of some having proprietary wheels/tires for their car only. Also, the wings and bodies should be interchangeable as well.

For me the "ultimate" F1 rc car would have independent suspension at all four corners with tiny inboard shocks front and rear like the real cars. It would also be 2wd just like real F1. The maximum width would be 190mm; a good middle ground between 180 and 200mm. It would use Tamiya wheels and be able to use Tamiya bodies and wings as well as HPI and 3 Racing, etc.
The 3 Racing FGX is somewhat close, but lacks in some key areas of what I described.

I do hope the F1 rc manufacturers are indeed reading this thread.