R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Slowing Down the Front Diff
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 09:24 AM
MikeXray
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
I have a JRXS-R that I intend to run rubber tire on carpet with, my problem is that I have tried a front spool but the feel of the car with a diff in the front is more in-tune with my style, but only when its tight instead of a more open diff. In running the diff as tight as it needed to be to limit the slip it wore out very quickly, becoming gritty in the course of a few runs and ruining the thrust bearing. I have tried using thick black grease in the diff but it was only marginally better than the standard white diff grease. Ideally I could replace this with a gear diff with thick fluid but no such thing exists for this older car, so what do you think my best course of action is to slow the diff down without destroying it? Any help is good help.
That's a tough one, especially with the R's plastic outdrive, when you try and tighten the diff to the point it should be the threads will strip. We used to be able to run a oneway in that car and it wasn't terribly loose off power, might be worth trying. If not, keep working on the setup until a spool is comfortable, look at mike haynes old posts, I know he ended up with a setup on old JRX springs I think in the 8lb range in the rear.