R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - U.S. Vintage Trans-Am [PICS & PAINT Discussion ONLY!!!]
Old 11-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Robotech
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by redron123
Who makes the thickest vta legal bodies? I am tired of puting 10 pounds of shoe goo on these hpi super thin bodies.
Keep in mind that the way bodies are produced and the inherent design of the body itself is going to lead to thin sections of lexan especially in the nose sections where there are all those undercuts and sharp edges.

One way to tell the "thickness" of the plastic that is used when the body is made is to check the "flash" that is the flat parts of lexan at the bottom of the body which get cut off when you trim the body out. These areas don't get stretched and thus are close to their original thickness. The thicker this plastic is, the more durable a body of similar shape will be.

HPI bodies are made at the HPI HQ in Foothill Ranch. When I worked for them, all 1/10th scale bodies were made from the same thickness of lexan (except the "lightweight" Stratus body...it had thinner lexan to make it "lightweight"). Only the Savage bodies and Super Nitro bodies were made from thicker lexan. Can't remember for the life of me though what the measurements were of them.