R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - opinions needed on nitro monster trucks
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 03:20 PM
ntrain42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by melonpeel
And the 5T blows away the HPI 5SC. It actually drives like a race vehicle. It's supremely balanced and flies over jumps like the 8ights. There's lots of vids out there to prove this.
Honestly the video's mean jack. Wait till this product is in the hands of actual customers. I can already see issues with the 5T. It has barely any suspension travel, its ground clearance is poor and I can see it bottoms out easy. On my track thats going to be an issue. Ive seen the vids and again Im skeptical at best.

Losi has a history of half baked products. Their latest one is the SCTE which is just a warmed over Ten-T converted for BL. The drivetrain on it is garbage, had 2 of em, sold em off. You couldnt go a day without an issue in the diffs. The diff pins grooved and wore out or broke constantly. Even with the newer replacement pins the wear and tear in the drivetrain is excessive. The original LST was loaded with issues as well, so was the original 8ight and quite a few other products that have come and gone.

Im all for a new 5th scale product, and a 4wd SC is a big interest without question. BUt there arent many places that have alot of ppl with run 5th scale, the most popular roller by far is the 5B/5T/5SC platform from HPI. I would have rather seen Losi put out a 2wd 5th scale SC truck for direct competition and to PROMOTE the scale class for sales and sanctioned racing, and for Losi to get their feet wet in the 5th scale market BEFORE putting out a 4wd version.

And to say the 5T blows away the 5SC from HPI? Have you assembled or driven either? THe HPI 5SC is very durable and the known issues are easy fixes with plenty of aftermarket support. DO you know what the issues are yet with the 5T or what the aftermarket support is going to be like? My 5SC SS I can tell you does one thing better than the 5T and thats take a large jump and handling in the rough stuff. Suspension travel and GC is without question superior. That 5T WILL be bottoming out constantly on my local tracks no question about it. ANd as for handling a 4wd vehicle should have an advantage in the corners due to it being 4wd.