R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GT class--buggy-based on road!
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 07:59 PM
tonylunatic
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default HotBodies D8 GT Converision Modification Steps

I am replying to a PM about the 20% of modifications to finish the conversion.

-First you need to mount the 2 speed; mount it by lining up the 2speed to the front 2 holes on the chassis. This will show you how much you need to cut off the chassis so that the 2speed gears clears the chassis and you can mark the 2 rear mounting holes on the chassis. You will also have to cut the bottom center part of the 2speed holder on the rear of it to clear the rear chassis brace. *Important you will be using the same front center cvd drive axle its fits directly to the front of 2speed.

-Second once you get 2speed in the car you will notice the 2speed is much bigger, so you cant use the original rear center drive axle, Replace it with a dog bone 100mm Kyosho. It’s the front dog bone from a GT2. ***Important you will need to find a outdrive cup to fit the D8 rear diff pinion to use the dog. I used a old savage out drive that fit directly on pinion shaft, but had to burrow and trim the center of it to fit the kyosho dog bone.

-Third once you have the center drive line done and the 2speed in there running smooth with No Binding. Drive line should be very smooth and turn very easy by hand. Now you can try to mount the motor. You will use the original motor mounts and bottom plate that is on the D8. By now you will notice you will have to make new screw mount holes to mount the engine, the 2speed pushes plate to the rear about 4-6mm once you get holes drilled and mount plate you will notice motor touches the chassis and you can see and mark where you will need to mill out the chassis so it sits perfect. ****I used a good high speed dremel and nice big cutting wheel for all the cutting and milling.

Now car should be about done. Mount front bumper and front body mount kit to front its direct fit using the 2 top screws that hold the shock tower to diff case and the 2 front diff screws on the front bottom. Then mark the rear holes to drill on the inside top of the rear shock tower to mount the rear body mount bracket.

That’s pretty much it. If there is something unclear our not understood or something I mite of missed, let me know. I will be happy to help.