R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - opinions needed on nitro monster trucks
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 09:00 AM
ntrain42
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by honda237
Are you sure it was the 29/9 machined bulletproof diffs and the super heavy duty drive shafts and cups? Were they properly shimmed? Ive only heard of a one guys blow that diff with a nitro and he was running a ecrm picco .28 and ecrm endbleed. The three speed sucks, but a pretty simple mod makes the 3 speed bulletproof. It's the same basic parts as the flux, which it holds up pretty well too.
There is a difference in xl/ flux drivetrain than the other savages.

I'm not against the lst, I love my lst2, and I love my savages, and I loved my original lst when I had it. I'm actually thinking about getting a nitro lst, because I miss my nitro lst. I am just posting my findings.

That 5t looks pretty sweet, the size of 5th scale always gets me though, their so huge.
The machined "bulletproof" diffs have had issues in 2 areas, the pinion gear shearing off the top of the teeth and the bevel gears doing the same thing, regardless of how well they are shimmed the bevel pins flex too much under extreme torque as Ive seen especially if too thick of a diff fluid is used. Its the same with the XXL, but nowhere near the same level as the XL. THe outdrive cups on the Savage XL just plain suck too, the material used just plain sucks.