R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - ROAR Rule 8.2.3 regarding shorty packs
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Bob-Stormer
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RogerDaShrubber
You could sue them, its the American way, its most likely Unamerican not to sue them,.
lulz

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Current LiPo dimensions are what they are because they were originally designed to fit in cars that ran NiCad and NiMh batteries. Those chassis designs are no longer a factor and so those battery dimensions are no longer relevant. Yes we will need some guidelines to chart a path for the future but we still need to allow for the development that will advance us in new ways...not get mired in the old.
Exactly, Maybe what we should do is simply ask somebody in the manufacturing "biz" some simple questions. Like, "what's the easiest shape to make, and the most COMMON". like nicad and Nimh were. Rather than reinventing the wheel, we simply USE THE WHEEL... Cell sizes were an industry standard, and not just our industry. Why are we mandating a shape based on a technology that's no longer used?

Here's us... "Hi, we don't use record players or records any more. Is there a way you can make my MP3 player fit this gargantuan hole in my living room? I don't want to get a new entertainment center, just figure out how to stuff this postage stamp sized equipment where my record player was..."

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
I suppose the capitalist in me would say that allowing a manufacturer to make a chassis that did only use a battery of proprietary configuration should be allowed. It in fact would then be up to the consumer to decide to buy or not to buy such a car or product. IT would then also be up to the aftermarket manufacturers that make batteries to make a suitable product for said chassis.
What wins on Sunday sells on Monday. I used to kind of believe that... Lately I believe, "What wins on Sunday is tirelessly debated for months". The debate starts on Monday.

If somebody manages to build a better race car... Congratulations, YOU BUILT A BETTER RACE CAR. That's kind of how this all works. as an example, Xray is going to have a new car next year anyway. Does it "Really" matter if the pack is different? If the car doesn't work, you're not going to buy it anyway. It's got to be better car.

All putting a crazy shape pack in your old car does, which has to meet all weight and dimension rules, is make you have to rebalance the car.

If you're buying a new car, what's $60-$80 for a new pack? It's a non-issue. Nobody has 20-30 packs like we used to do for nicad. And at the start of a new season, you were VERY likely to buy a new pack ANYWAY!

Let's ask somebody what the easiest shape is to make, the most COMMON shape. And THEN tirelessly debate it. Cars were designed around round cells because Black and Decker used 200 Billion of them a year. This made it cheaper for us.

Knowing what works for them, not for us, is the most common sense approach to the whole thing. IMHO.