Thread: Tamiya Ta06
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2011, 02:25 PM
red7fifty
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default TA06 Pro review

TA06 Pro
I've got $.02, highly recommend for mid-level club racing.

Just built this kit, in (almost) box stock configuration, and raced it last night.
First race for this chassis, placed 1st.

Out of the box, it has a lot of steering, dialed in 30% expo, and DR to 80%.
Very predictable handling, and quick recovery when you overpower a turn.

I picked up a few build tips from this forum:
Use all 3 shims per each side, when assembling diffs.

MY initial set-up: (Indoor carpet track, Team Dewey's Karcher Mall, Nampa)
Stand up front shocks, kit supplied shock oil, kit springs
AE 3000 rear diff fluid
AE 5000 front diff fluid
1 degree toe-out front
1.5 degree front neg camber
2.0 degree rear neg camber
5mm ride height

As built with kit shock settings, car has a lot more body roll than I'm used to, but after a few laps getting used to the car, was able to get used to the handling characteristics and finish in 1st position.
I think there is a LOT of potential for this chassis, as demonstrated in it's first run (before any serious tuning!)

Take your time with the build, there are a lot of little shims that are easily forgotten, or placed in the wrong areas if you don't pay attention to the INSTRUCTIONS (Don't throw the instructions out the window! You'll likely mix up something important) A micrometer helps, to make sure you don't mix up the shims, or screws, and help get your turnbuckles the right starting length. (On my alignment jig, I only had to adjust a very small amount)
Take your time threading the ballcups straight. A Punisher (Lunsford) or Integy Tmax aluminum turnbuckle wrench, keeps from marring up the turnbuckles.

A TC5 foam bumper, can be lightly modified to fit on the front of this car (it's a lot more protection, if your tend to hit a lot of things head on)
Not shown in these pictures, I made a carbon side guard (to offer a small amount of protection for the new ESC) I'm sure someone will be making them soon......too bad I don't have a manuf. company

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TA06 pro.JPG
Views:	2745
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	834338   Click image for larger version

Name:	TA06 Pro 1 sm.JPG
Views:	9508
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	834339