R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - VRC pro release date??
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 02:18 PM
rmdhawaii
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

From a business perspective, the subscription model makes perfect sense. For something like this, you really need re-occuring income to pay for upkeep and expenses. I certainly can't fault them for that.

I don't agree with their decision to nickle and dime you for gear in the game. That's pretty lame. You're already paying the monthly, so why not just throw the gear in? "Micro transactions" are big in MMOs, but those games are usually free to play and only make money from the micro transactions. In regular MMOs, the company usually charges for novelty items.

I think the whole pit table simulation thing is kinda cheesy, but to each his own. I don't think it will make me a better racer - online or otherwise. LOL

With the original VRC, I paid for tracks and have no problem paying for tracks again.

As far as accuracy of simulation, don't expect too much from a "game" like this. They're in it for the money and I'm sure they want to make and keep their "target market" happy and coming back for more. Some people are willing to accept less realism for the chance to have some fun, while others will think it sucks because it doesn't match how a real car behaves - or how track conditions change. So be it. I'm thinking that there will be more than enough people to keep this game running for years to come.

The bugs will eventually get fixed. The simulation and setup options may improve over time. I'm not so sure that the subscription pricing will ever come down. As long as they are profitable, nothing will change. If expenses exceed income, then they have to do something - but at what price point can they entice people to join? $120/year for someone who plays everyday is cheap. At what price point does the casual player join?

Bottom line is simple: If you're having fun, you'll be back for more.